Used 2004 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Probably one of the best cars I have owned.
By erickc

2004 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd Toyota that I have ever owned. I bought it when it was 9 years old with 104000 km. (65000 mi). Changed tires, changed brakes and 100000 km later still haven't had to change a thing other than oil and filters. I installed an after market cruise control system in it as I drive approx. 1000 hwy km/week. It makes the driving a lot easier. Gas milage is unbelievable, I save enough fuel per year vs my old 1999 Corolla to cover the cost of the insurance. The car is sitting outside with 657 km on the trip meter and there is still 1/4 tank left. It sure isnt the prettiest Girl in the room, but she sure can cook. Recommend this car to anyone. Looking forward to the Yaris as my next car

Favorite Features

fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy. Interior room is most impressive for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

All have been delt with in the Yaris.

The Perfect Car
By ltrack

2004 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used, 9 years old with 170,000km. It runs smooth as can be and I must get +50MPG. 650km to a tank in city driving. This is a dream car.

Favorite Features

Solid engine, transmission, components. Enough clearance to comfortably drive on back roads.

Suggested Improvements

Fog-proof windows...

Better than a Prius
By B Dub

2004 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I feel like I won the lottery when I found this car. 2002 with 19k on it. A new car for 50% off! Since then, I average a combined 43 mpg summer/39 mpg winter at 9000 feet up in the mountains. Power to weight ratio is fantastic, especially considering the fuel economy. Acceleration good, cornering good, braking superb = great in snow. Slightly worse mpg than Prius, but no huge toxic battery! Better performance than Prius due to its much lighter weight and all at one third the price! Much less complicated mechanically and Toyota build quality should equal great longevity and reliability. I've see Echos with 400k on them. This car is the nerd that never was popular but won in the end.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy!!! People ask: is it a hybrid? No it is better. More reliable, better performance, way cheaper. Great power to weight ratio = great performance. Outperforms cars that use 50% more fuel. 108hp at 2050 lbs. Very, very roomy especially with folding rear seat. Rides smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Put this drivetrain in a slightly less odd-looking package (the successor Yaris still looks a little weird) and add a few more options standard. A little less plastic in interior. I wish the hatchback would have been sold in the US, because I think it looks better. I'd definitely buy a used one.

The best small car ever
By Amurtadi

2004 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I made 103K KM since I bought it new for C$13000. I had no trouble with it at all. It is the best bang for the buck. Drives and handles very well. It is not very comfortable for long distance travel but you can drive it very comfortably for 100 mile with no hassle. Excellent leg room in the back seat for 6'4" tall person.

Favorite Features

Neat dash, nice controls, 40 MPG, change oil every 8K or 6 months, 4 adults can sit comfortably I love that.

Suggested Improvements

Change the position of the rear view mirror upwards

good
By federico fernandez

2004 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very good conmuter car

Suggested Improvements

lower the back