Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

MADE A BELIEVER OUT OF ME!!!
By HOTROD_DUDE

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

WOW! is the first thing I want to say about this little car. I'm a car nut with a lot of them, I am also a power freak, but when the gas prices began to raise I had to get me a gas econo car, and that means little 4 banger car, YUCK!! I thought. I did my research on the best gas econo cars and the little Echo seemed to be it, so I bought one - WOW!! was I wrong, this car is the best thing I ever bought, I tell people its like a go-cart on crack, it's so fun to drive, you don't want to get out of it. The gas mileage is super, 2 trips from Miss. to Minn with the AC on I got 43 to 45 MPG on the HWY in town I get 35 probably because I got a heavy foot. You can't go wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

GAS MILEAGE!!, Huge trunk, Easy to get in and out (I'm 6' tall & 38 yrs old), center dash is cool, power of the 4 cyl. engine - one heck of a passing gear even a HIGH speeds even at 95 mph this baby flys!! I've been 105 mph still handles great!!, all the storage compartments are handy. Great car!!

Suggested Improvements

Can think of much, but some sort of a center arm rest, cruise control, more gauges. (But I guess its a Econo car what can people exspect, I know Toyota made a believer out of me.)

Echo Experience
By Doug

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota. which I purchased as a Certified vehicle. It's quirky looks and smallish exterior are more than made up by the excellent interior room and outstanding fuel economy. My Echo is pretty basic, manual everything except transmission. To date, I've been very please with the quality and economy. I'd recommend the Echo to anyone looking for a fun, reliable commuter car.

Favorite Features

Impressive interior room and storage areas. The performance from the 1.5 liter engine is robust.

Suggested Improvements

With the small size, I'd suggest daytime running lights as a standard feature.

Best Purchase I've Ever Made
By M. Rae

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a dependable, fuel efficient vehicle this is the car for you! I have owned my ECHO for nearly 3 years and never had a problem! While all my friends were driving gas-guzzlers, I could easily get buy without filling up for 10 days! The ECHO is fun to drive, not overly complicated, and simply a wonderful car!

Favorite Features

Propped up seating, 5-speed, large trunk, fuel efficiency, eclectic design

Suggested Improvements

The back seat should fold down into the trunk

Comments on Toyota Echo 2003 2-DR
By Beatrix

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I think this car deserves to write a few words.I purchased mine in 04/2003. I gave 9 on fun-to-drive only. As it is noted not always easy to drive on the high-way when it is windy outside. Also, without wind, if you drive on the highway like more than 85 miles/hr, it is difficult to keep the car on the same track. So, the speed limit (under 70 miles/hr) should be always kept:-) I gave 9 on performance, because sometimes I feel that it does not run that smoothly as it is seen in an e.g. Toyota Camry or Honda Civic - sometimes a noise is coming when it is simply neutral (mine is manual). I had no problem until today at all, just needed oil filter change, tire rotation and other maintenance.

Favorite Features

Centered board, great mileage (between Washington DC and the west coast of Florida on the I-95) 42 miles/gallon, on the highway (had to stop three times to get gas, and the third time was at home); 38 miles/gallon in the city; beautiful green color, nice lamps -looks better than ones from prev years

Suggested Improvements

Stronger interior (e.g. some plastic stuff wants to come off sometimes); not sure if I am the only one who noticed the noise from the engine while the car is in neutral gear

Fun, efficient, economical car
By jmw131

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I find the car to be fun to drive, very efficient with the 34-38 mpg, and very economical, i got it for $8,200 from a dealership in excellent condition with 37k miles. I didn't like the steering at first but got used to it. I was surprised at the power it had for its size. I couldn't have gotten a civic for anywhere close to this purchase price and if you don't care about the look like a married man like me doesn't then it's great.

Favorite Features

MILEAGE, COST, and the surprising driveability

Suggested Improvements

I woulda liked the back seats to fold down. Other than that I am more than satisfied.