Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great gas, nice car for young single
By KT

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has great mileage. It's very simple, and cute looks. It's not much fun to drive, but it's very easy to drive. I recommend it to a young single driver. It's also very reasonable price. It looks like a small car, but it has nice space.

Great gas mileage, super cute color and exterior. It's easy to drive. This small car fits every small parking space!

I can't really complain much, but this is very light car. I get very nervous driving in snow condition. It's best if you live in non-snow region.

Fantastic First Car
By VAwaterdrop

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and also the vehicle that I learned how to drive in so needless to say it took a lot of beatings! It never fails to impress with great handling and much better power than you would expect from just looking at it. It handles corners well, no problem at all accelerating onto the freeway in the city or switching in/out of lanes in a hurry (the handling on this car has been a lifesaver in preventing accidents). I have the four door so while the backseat probably wouldn't fit two adults comfortable for a roadtrip, it's perfect for around town. It's never required anything other than general maintenance and it's getting on 5 years old/162,000 m. Would definitely recommend!!

Everyone else in AZ is paying $60-$100 to fill up and doing it once or twice a week, I fill up on $30 and go about a week and a half/two weeks. Really nice sounding stock stereo also, not "tinny" like the some other small cars. Cabin room is great also. Good getty-up on highways. Very reliable car.

I do agree with previous reviews stating that when you're on the highway and it gets too windy, it is a little difficult to keep it in its own lane; I've adjusted to it and work with it but that could definitely be improved. After 5 years that's really my only complaint with this little car!

Great Car
By Amy

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was all ready a Toyota fan with my first two cars being Camrys.I love my Echo.I bought it off the lot new.This car has been great, I have not had a single problem with it.I love the spunk it has and I live in Atlanta, GA where there are hardly parking spaces but my Echo always finds room in tight spaces most cars cannot fit into.Also driving in traffic is great because of the space issue- it can weave easily when needed.I love the truck space and small compartments.Any improvement I have suggested is petty compared to the overall package.After reading eveyone elses reviews I will have to say that we all have the same little gripes but I know that I am glad to have made this my 1st new car.

Spunk, compact, gas economy, affordability, easy to drive, roomy for size. Trunk space, small compartments, cock-eyed dash...

Larger side mirrors, fold down seats, clock (how could this be forgotten?), a tape player at least, cruise control, better aerodynamics (I have a roof rack and it is not the best fit), better paint (more coats?), does not handle well in wind, does not go up hills without obvious slow change of gear.

Excellent Economical Car
By Sharyn

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is wonderful! It gets between 38-40 mpg, a little less when I run the AC, and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. It's comfortable for two people, although the back seat is pretty small. I like the fact that my gauges are in the middle of the dash. It makes it a lot easier to not take your eyes off the road. I have to take it into the dealership because apparently, the bottoms of the ECHOs are rusting and they have to fix that, but no problems here as it's covered since it's part of a recall. It has its little flaws, but nothing any other car doesn't have! Overall, great buy. I am 100% satisfied.

The storage nooks, gas mileage, warranty, overall interior look, big trunk, overall handling, 6 CD changer that came with it, it's pretty quiet even on the highway, acceleration is great for a V4!

Exterior design could use some work, add a clock!, the gear shift moves too easily, windshield wipers need more speed options, make back seats fold down to allow more transport space, the sound system could be a little better

Reliable car for your money
By Jenny

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After getting into an accident with my Kia Sephia, I needed a car bad. I decided on a Toyota Echo and have never felt a shred of buyer's remorse. This little car is quite deceiving with its roominess and and overall handling. Under the hood looks just as nice -- everything labled and easy to reach. I highly recommend this as a first car or one to replace a gas-guzzler!

Center console, roomy interior, gas mileage, storage within interior (there's a nifty tray under the passenger seat for maps or snacks), quality Toyota parts.

Fold-down backseats, better handling in windy weather... maybe add a CD player.

• SUV