Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great Car
By Amy

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was all ready a Toyota fan with my first two cars being Camrys.I love my Echo.I bought it off the lot new.This car has been great, I have not had a single problem with it.I love the spunk it has and I live in Atlanta, GA where there are hardly parking spaces but my Echo always finds room in tight spaces most cars cannot fit into.Also driving in traffic is great because of the space issue- it can weave easily when needed.I love the truck space and small compartments.Any improvement I have suggested is petty compared to the overall package.After reading eveyone elses reviews I will have to say that we all have the same little gripes but I know that I am glad to have made this my 1st new car.

Spunk, compact, gas economy, affordability, easy to drive, roomy for size. Trunk space, small compartments, cock-eyed dash...

Larger side mirrors, fold down seats, clock (how could this be forgotten?), a tape player at least, cruise control, better aerodynamics (I have a roof rack and it is not the best fit), better paint (more coats?), does not handle well in wind, does not go up hills without obvious slow change of gear.

Excellent Economical Car
By Sharyn

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is wonderful! It gets between 38-40 mpg, a little less when I run the AC, and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. It's comfortable for two people, although the back seat is pretty small. I like the fact that my gauges are in the middle of the dash. It makes it a lot easier to not take your eyes off the road. I have to take it into the dealership because apparently, the bottoms of the ECHOs are rusting and they have to fix that, but no problems here as it's covered since it's part of a recall. It has its little flaws, but nothing any other car doesn't have! Overall, great buy. I am 100% satisfied.

The storage nooks, gas mileage, warranty, overall interior look, big trunk, overall handling, 6 CD changer that came with it, it's pretty quiet even on the highway, acceleration is great for a V4!

Exterior design could use some work, add a clock!, the gear shift moves too easily, windshield wipers need more speed options, make back seats fold down to allow more transport space, the sound system could be a little better

Reliable car for your money
By Jenny

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After getting into an accident with my Kia Sephia, I needed a car bad. I decided on a Toyota Echo and have never felt a shred of buyer's remorse. This little car is quite deceiving with its roominess and and overall handling. Under the hood looks just as nice -- everything labled and easy to reach. I highly recommend this as a first car or one to replace a gas-guzzler!

Center console, roomy interior, gas mileage, storage within interior (there's a nifty tray under the passenger seat for maps or snacks), quality Toyota parts.

Fold-down backseats, better handling in windy weather... maybe add a CD player.

LuvIt
By tiki

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical of how small this car looked until I got inside and test drove it. It is much more spacious than it looks. Gas mileage is great! I fill up about once a week for about $20. I got used to the odometer in the center dash. It's easier to keep your eye on it and on the road at the same time. I hope to keep this car for a long time. It even drives well in the snow. It's a great first new car!

Gas mileage, easy handling, sits up higher than most small cars, low maintenance, decent stereo, cheap price for a brand new car, lots of storage space, and easy to park in tight places.

Better if it had cruise control, windshield wiper delays, and the backseat space is a little tight.

Super Awesome 1st Car
By NateDog

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Recieved as my first vehicle for my 16th birthday, and it has been incredible. Amazing gas mileage, comfortable for long or short drives, spunky acceleration, and cruises like a champion. Can't say anything bad about this car, it is a dream. Drove it all the way to Louisiana from California, 75 the whole way, and it returned 40-42 miles to the gallon! Carried all my junk too, completely packed down with stuff. Buy this car if you are in need of an economical vehicle!!!

Looks (bold from the front at least), handling (I have the 15 inch rims), MPG, tons of space to pack stuff, big trunk, comfortable front seats.

No cruise control, gets pushed by high winds, no power when it comes to steep grades, and needs some better aerodynamics. Back seats feel lumpy at times. But these are all VERY minor complaints.