Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

2003 Toyota ECHO
By Sharon

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's even good in snow! Amazing! Once around Erie there were two cars off the road in a squall, I called and the dispatcher said there were 200 cars off the road in that county! AND I just kept going without a problem! I don't get tired on long trips of 8-11 hours!

Favorite Features

Handling, good in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows and intermittent windshield wipers would have been great.

Best car I have ever owned and I am 57
By nickel1951

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used after owning a 2001 Echo for six years. I sold the 2001 to my son who was just graduating from college and bought this car for myself. I have never bought another car that was identical to the one I had had for six years already before but this car is special. I actually made my son promise to sell me the old car back when he wants to get rid of it so I can have a backup. The only thing that was not satisfactory in either car were the floor mats. I have no idea why, but they wore out quite quickly. The dealership even gave me a full replacement after the first year and those wore out as well. I bought some after market ones from Walmart and they have been fine.

Favorite Features

Lots of headroom, very easy to park in tiny spaces so great for the city and wonderful gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The stick adjustment arms for the mirrors should be standard. I bought the 2003 Echo used and had to take it as is and I miss the stick adjustment feature that I had on my first 2001 Echo.

Great gas, nice car for young single
By KT

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has great mileage. It's very simple, and cute looks. It's not much fun to drive, but it's very easy to drive. I recommend it to a young single driver. It's also very reasonable price. It looks like a small car, but it has nice space.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, super cute color and exterior. It's easy to drive. This small car fits every small parking space!

Suggested Improvements

I can't really complain much, but this is very light car. I get very nervous driving in snow condition. It's best if you live in non-snow region.

Fantastic First Car
By VAwaterdrop

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and also the vehicle that I learned how to drive in so needless to say it took a lot of beatings! It never fails to impress with great handling and much better power than you would expect from just looking at it. It handles corners well, no problem at all accelerating onto the freeway in the city or switching in/out of lanes in a hurry (the handling on this car has been a lifesaver in preventing accidents). I have the four door so while the backseat probably wouldn't fit two adults comfortable for a roadtrip, it's perfect for around town. It's never required anything other than general maintenance and it's getting on 5 years old/162,000 m. Would definitely recommend!!

Favorite Features

Everyone else in AZ is paying $60-$100 to fill up and doing it once or twice a week, I fill up on $30 and go about a week and a half/two weeks. Really nice sounding stock stereo also, not "tinny" like the some other small cars. Cabin room is great also. Good getty-up on highways. Very reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

I do agree with previous reviews stating that when you're on the highway and it gets too windy, it is a little difficult to keep it in its own lane; I've adjusted to it and work with it but that could definitely be improved. After 5 years that's really my only complaint with this little car!

Great Car
By Amy

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was all ready a Toyota fan with my first two cars being Camrys.I love my Echo.I bought it off the lot new.This car has been great, I have not had a single problem with it.I love the spunk it has and I live in Atlanta, GA where there are hardly parking spaces but my Echo always finds room in tight spaces most cars cannot fit into.Also driving in traffic is great because of the space issue- it can weave easily when needed.I love the truck space and small compartments.Any improvement I have suggested is petty compared to the overall package.After reading eveyone elses reviews I will have to say that we all have the same little gripes but I know that I am glad to have made this my 1st new car.

Favorite Features

Spunk, compact, gas economy, affordability, easy to drive, roomy for size. Trunk space, small compartments, cock-eyed dash...

Suggested Improvements

Larger side mirrors, fold down seats, clock (how could this be forgotten?), a tape player at least, cruise control, better aerodynamics (I have a roof rack and it is not the best fit), better paint (more coats?), does not handle well in wind, does not go up hills without obvious slow change of gear.