Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

What a car!
By chuckamuck

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had an 06 Tacoma that I bought right off the line - never saw a dealer's lot, and I loved it. However with the price of fuel approaching $5.00 per gallon I was in need of a more economical vehicle. This one is it. The Echo was made for me. I see a lot of people saying that it is hard to handle in bad weather, but I have to disagree. If you keep the tires balanced and rotated, and properly inflated it handles as well as a Camry. The only thing I would have done differently in design would be to replace the seats with something more comfortable for the long haul - nice for in town driving but a little stiff on long rides. Other than that this car is perfect.

2003 Toyota ECHO
By Sharon

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's even good in snow! Amazing! Once around Erie there were two cars off the road in a squall, I called and the dispatcher said there were 200 cars off the road in that county! AND I just kept going without a problem! I don't get tired on long trips of 8-11 hours!

Handling, good in snow.

Power windows and intermittent windshield wipers would have been great.

Best car I have ever owned and I am 57
By nickel1951

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used after owning a 2001 Echo for six years. I sold the 2001 to my son who was just graduating from college and bought this car for myself. I have never bought another car that was identical to the one I had had for six years already before but this car is special. I actually made my son promise to sell me the old car back when he wants to get rid of it so I can have a backup. The only thing that was not satisfactory in either car were the floor mats. I have no idea why, but they wore out quite quickly. The dealership even gave me a full replacement after the first year and those wore out as well. I bought some after market ones from Walmart and they have been fine.

Lots of headroom, very easy to park in tiny spaces so great for the city and wonderful gas mileage.

The stick adjustment arms for the mirrors should be standard. I bought the 2003 Echo used and had to take it as is and I miss the stick adjustment feature that I had on my first 2001 Echo.

Great gas, nice car for young single
By KT

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has great mileage. It's very simple, and cute looks. It's not much fun to drive, but it's very easy to drive. I recommend it to a young single driver. It's also very reasonable price. It looks like a small car, but it has nice space.

Great gas mileage, super cute color and exterior. It's easy to drive. This small car fits every small parking space!

I can't really complain much, but this is very light car. I get very nervous driving in snow condition. It's best if you live in non-snow region.

Fantastic First Car
By VAwaterdrop

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and also the vehicle that I learned how to drive in so needless to say it took a lot of beatings! It never fails to impress with great handling and much better power than you would expect from just looking at it. It handles corners well, no problem at all accelerating onto the freeway in the city or switching in/out of lanes in a hurry (the handling on this car has been a lifesaver in preventing accidents). I have the four door so while the backseat probably wouldn't fit two adults comfortable for a roadtrip, it's perfect for around town. It's never required anything other than general maintenance and it's getting on 5 years old/162,000 m. Would definitely recommend!!

Everyone else in AZ is paying $60-$100 to fill up and doing it once or twice a week, I fill up on $30 and go about a week and a half/two weeks. Really nice sounding stock stereo also, not "tinny" like the some other small cars. Cabin room is great also. Good getty-up on highways. Very reliable car.

I do agree with previous reviews stating that when you're on the highway and it gets too windy, it is a little difficult to keep it in its own lane; I've adjusted to it and work with it but that could definitely be improved. After 5 years that's really my only complaint with this little car!