2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Best car on the road
By SER on 07/10/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely upset they quit making these. If I could, I would never buy any other car forever. This is the best car I have ever owned by far. I am a mechanic and do all my own work on my cars. This car never needed anything other than routine maintenance until 167,000 miles when it needed a left front wheel bearing. It gets the best gas mileage of any car other than hybrids. We get 45 mpg hwy. It is actually fast too -- plenty of passing power. At first I did not like the tallish look of it, but it grew on me. The car is like a miracle, I don't know how they did it, but it pulls everything you ever wanted in a car, like tight steering radius, good handling, power, MPG together into one.

Scary Driving, Horrible Customer Service
By tattytiara on 04/28/09 22:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I will never trust Toyota with my safety again. It's one thing to have poorly trained dealers who tell dangerous, outright falsehoods about the vehicle's features and design, it's another to train the head office staff to deal with customer complaints by running them through a maze of incompetence in the hope they'll just get frustrated and give up rather than addressing customer concerns directly. One slight breeze and you're in the ditch. The fuel economy's very misleading, because you need to carry at least half a beach worth of sand just to stay on the road. The windows spontaneously rolling down is just bonus fun. I have never been more dissatisfied with a purchase in my life.

2003 Echo 4Dr Sedan
By CarFan on 01/31/09 10:43 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Dependable, economical & fun small car to drive - especially during times of high gas prices. This car is excellent for city driving and ok for shorter highway trips. It's light weight makes it easily swayed by passing trucks and not the best traction on snowy roads. It could use cruise control & arm rests.

What a car!
By chuckamuck on 07/22/08 03:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had an 06 Tacoma that I bought right off the line - never saw a dealer's lot, and I loved it. However with the price of fuel approaching $5.00 per gallon I was in need of a more economical vehicle. This one is it. The Echo was made for me. I see a lot of people saying that it is hard to handle in bad weather, but I have to disagree. If you keep the tires balanced and rotated, and properly inflated it handles as well as a Camry. The only thing I would have done differently in design would be to replace the seats with something more comfortable for the long haul - nice for in town driving but a little stiff on long rides. Other than that this car is perfect.

2003 Toyota ECHO
By Sharon on 06/10/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's even good in snow! Amazing! Once around Erie there were two cars off the road in a squall, I called and the dispatcher said there were 200 cars off the road in that county! AND I just kept going without a problem! I don't get tired on long trips of 8-11 hours!

Best car I have ever owned and I am 57
By nickel1951 on 06/07/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used after owning a 2001 Echo for six years. I sold the 2001 to my son who was just graduating from college and bought this car for myself. I have never bought another car that was identical to the one I had had for six years already before but this car is special. I actually made my son promise to sell me the old car back when he wants to get rid of it so I can have a backup. The only thing that was not satisfactory in either car were the floor mats. I have no idea why, but they wore out quite quickly. The dealership even gave me a full replacement after the first year and those wore out as well. I bought some after market ones from Walmart and they have been fine.

Great gas, nice car for young single
By KT on 11/09/07 22:39 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has great mileage. It's very simple, and cute looks. It's not much fun to drive, but it's very easy to drive. I recommend it to a young single driver. It's also very reasonable price. It looks like a small car, but it has nice space.

Fantastic First Car
By VAwaterdrop on 05/17/07 13:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and also the vehicle that I learned how to drive in so needless to say it took a lot of beatings! It never fails to impress with great handling and much better power than you would expect from just looking at it. It handles corners well, no problem at all accelerating onto the freeway in the city or switching in/out of lanes in a hurry (the handling on this car has been a lifesaver in preventing accidents). I have the four door so while the backseat probably wouldn't fit two adults comfortable for a roadtrip, it's perfect for around town. It's never required anything other than general maintenance and it's getting on 5 years old/162,000 m. Would definitely recommend!!

Great Car
By Amy on 09/08/06 09:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was all ready a Toyota fan with my first two cars being Camrys.I love my Echo.I bought it off the lot new.This car has been great, I have not had a single problem with it.I love the spunk it has and I live in Atlanta, GA where there are hardly parking spaces but my Echo always finds room in tight spaces most cars cannot fit into.Also driving in traffic is great because of the space issue- it can weave easily when needed.I love the truck space and small compartments.Any improvement I have suggested is petty compared to the overall package.After reading eveyone elses reviews I will have to say that we all have the same little gripes but I know that I am glad to have made this my 1st new car.

LuvIt
By tiki on 02/27/06 21:43 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was skeptical of how small this car looked until I got inside and test drove it. It is much more spacious than it looks. Gas mileage is great! I fill up about once a week for about $20. I got used to the odometer in the center dash. It's easier to keep your eye on it and on the road at the same time. I hope to keep this car for a long time. It even drives well in the snow. It's a great first new car!