Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Best Little Car
By rickolano

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car ain't sexy, it isn't good for Christmas shopping cause boxes don't fit in it like a 26" TV nor in the trunk. BUT BUT BUT>... Its the most reliable car I've ever had. I have owned Chrysler New Yorker, VW Jetta, Ford Capri, Ford Mustang, and Ford Pinto. This has outlasted all of them and cost the least in all areas. At just over 100,000 miles I had to replace the two drive belts, flush the radiator and transmission (never done before now). Easy to change your own oil and spark plugs. On my 3rd set of tires. Now a low droning humm indicates I need a rear wheel bearings replaced. Gas mileage is awesome and I won't give this car up nor sell it. The cost to own is just too damn reasonable

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 40 to 42 mpg. Very peppy as I can literally beat any other small car on the road my size that isn't a racing car. Sits much higher up than most Honda which I love. Good speakers and sound enjoyment when playing a CD. Responsive steering.

Suggested Improvements

I think they discontinued the Echo because it was too inexpensive and competed in mpg with the Prius. So they made the Yaris, a much heavier though sexier looking car.

281k and still going
By Doug

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007 with 213k miles, driven daily since and now at 281k miles. Doesn't use oil, needed few repairs, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough to take on a trip.

Favorite Features

Mileage, room for the size, comfort, decent power, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

An armrest would be nice

Good gas milage
By Frank

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used from the original owner with 136,000 miles on it. I have driven it on several 180+ trips and always get 40+ MPG on the freeway. It is a peppy 5 speed manual. I can shift 1-3-5 on a normal start up with no problem. CON. It has a small growling roar on the highway. It is not the engine or transmission which I tested by coasting at high speeds. Also it is not stable in a high cross wind. It is a very clean used car without any signs of the 136K mi. on the speedometer. I have gotten used to the center speedometer but could use a better lighting system in the cluster. Overall I'm well pleased with it. On

Favorite Features

Mileage, pep fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Better stability in cross winds. Better back lighting in the instrument cluster.

The VW that VW couldn't build
By al taloma

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The misunderstood Echo. If one compares the Echo with, say, a 69 VW Bug, it's reason for being becomes obvious. It's an old bug, with twice the horsepower, much quieter, easier to drive, air conditioning, twice the fuel economy, but with almost all the features we grew to love in the Bug. Toyota saw the market, and went for it. Funny looking, yes, even cute, 'cept it's a mouse, not a bug. Goes like stink, fun to drive. Mileage around 40+, 43-47 if you featherfoot. Comfortable. Lots of cubby's. A joy to commute in. Does everything the bugs did, and more. No wonder most who own them love them. And yes, many people give them names. Mine's "Dinky". She's a joy.

Favorite Features

Mileage, speed, agility, comfort, storage and cubbys. With the styling change in 03, the looks were much improved. Great seats, everything always works. And the fabled Toyota reliability. 200000 miles on original plugs, clutch, brakes. Like old VW's wanted to be, the best car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seat, better aerodynamics behind rear window (big cut off zone), a hatchback might have been a better choice. A clock, temp, tach, oil pressure, volt gauges would have been a good idea. And why not a performance model. Beat mini at their own game. Variable valve timing on both cams?

Excellent Economical Car
By Sharyn

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is wonderful! It gets between 38-40 mpg, a little less when I run the AC, and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. It's comfortable for two people, although the back seat is pretty small. I like the fact that my gauges are in the middle of the dash. It makes it a lot easier to not take your eyes off the road. I have to take it into the dealership because apparently, the bottoms of the ECHOs are rusting and they have to fix that, but no problems here as it's covered since it's part of a recall. It has its little flaws, but nothing any other car doesn't have! Overall, great buy. I am 100% satisfied.

Favorite Features

The storage nooks, gas mileage, warranty, overall interior look, big trunk, overall handling, 6 CD changer that came with it, it's pretty quiet even on the highway, acceleration is great for a V4!

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design could use some work, add a clock!, the gear shift moves too easily, windshield wipers need more speed options, make back seats fold down to allow more transport space, the sound system could be a little better