2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Love my Echo…
By bispo1 on 08/27/12 15:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 216,000 + miles. No major maintenance required. I’ve kept up on the oil changes every 5000 miles and plugs and all the filters every 50,000 miles. I also had the transmission serviced at 100,000 and 200,000 mile marks. Mileage runs about 34 hwy and 28 city. I’m not one to baby a car, I drive it hard (that’s why the MPG is so low)… I’m 6’ tall and weight is running a little over 200 lbs. The seats have held up excellent, both in form and material. I have plenty of leg and head room… Total reliability

Best Little Car
By rickolano on 03/30/11 21:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car ain't sexy, it isn't good for Christmas shopping cause boxes don't fit in it like a 26" TV nor in the trunk. BUT BUT BUT>... Its the most reliable car I've ever had. I have owned Chrysler New Yorker, VW Jetta, Ford Capri, Ford Mustang, and Ford Pinto. This has outlasted all of them and cost the least in all areas. At just over 100,000 miles I had to replace the two drive belts, flush the radiator and transmission (never done before now). Easy to change your own oil and spark plugs. On my 3rd set of tires. Now a low droning humm indicates I need a rear wheel bearings replaced. Gas mileage is awesome and I won't give this car up nor sell it. The cost to own is just too damn reasonable

281k and still going
By Doug on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007 with 213k miles, driven daily since and now at 281k miles. Doesn't use oil, needed few repairs, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough to take on a trip.

Good gas milage
By Frank on 04/22/10 07:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used from the original owner with 136,000 miles on it. I have driven it on several 180+ trips and always get 40+ MPG on the freeway. It is a peppy 5 speed manual. I can shift 1-3-5 on a normal start up with no problem. CON. It has a small growling roar on the highway. It is not the engine or transmission which I tested by coasting at high speeds. Also it is not stable in a high cross wind. It is a very clean used car without any signs of the 136K mi. on the speedometer. I have gotten used to the center speedometer but could use a better lighting system in the cluster. Overall I'm well pleased with it. On

Just Getting Started
By stardriver on 04/17/10 10:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this silver 2003 auto coupe and knew immediately it was a great choice. Quick, comfortable, fun to drive and excellent mileage--even for an automatic. First mileage check netted 280 miles for 8.5 gallons, netting a very respectable 33 mpg city/highway. Believe it will get 38 hwy easily. Killer sound system, lot of room, huge trunk space for a "small" car. Surprising quiet at freeway speeds. Toyota may have made some mistakes marketing this car, but not in building it. The Yaris sedan is similar but getting one of these at a fraction of the cost and you have a great quality car.

The VW that VW couldn't build
By al taloma on 07/30/09 21:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The misunderstood Echo. If one compares the Echo with, say, a 69 VW Bug, it's reason for being becomes obvious. It's an old bug, with twice the horsepower, much quieter, easier to drive, air conditioning, twice the fuel economy, but with almost all the features we grew to love in the Bug. Toyota saw the market, and went for it. Funny looking, yes, even cute, 'cept it's a mouse, not a bug. Goes like stink, fun to drive. Mileage around 40+, 43-47 if you featherfoot. Comfortable. Lots of cubby's. A joy to commute in. Does everything the bugs did, and more. No wonder most who own them love them. And yes, many people give them names. Mine's "Dinky". She's a joy.

Excellent Economical Car
By Sharyn on 05/24/06 01:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Echo is wonderful! It gets between 38-40 mpg, a little less when I run the AC, and I've never had a mechanical problem with it. It's comfortable for two people, although the back seat is pretty small. I like the fact that my gauges are in the middle of the dash. It makes it a lot easier to not take your eyes off the road. I have to take it into the dealership because apparently, the bottoms of the ECHOs are rusting and they have to fix that, but no problems here as it's covered since it's part of a recall. It has its little flaws, but nothing any other car doesn't have! Overall, great buy. I am 100% satisfied.

Reliable car for your money
By Jenny on 05/16/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After getting into an accident with my Kia Sephia, I needed a car bad. I decided on a Toyota Echo and have never felt a shred of buyer's remorse. This little car is quite deceiving with its roominess and and overall handling. Under the hood looks just as nice -- everything labled and easy to reach. I highly recommend this as a first car or one to replace a gas-guzzler!

Super Awesome 1st Car
By NateDog on 01/27/06 00:18 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Recieved as my first vehicle for my 16th birthday, and it has been incredible. Amazing gas mileage, comfortable for long or short drives, spunky acceleration, and cruises like a champion. Can't say anything bad about this car, it is a dream. Drove it all the way to Louisiana from California, 75 the whole way, and it returned 40-42 miles to the gallon! Carried all my junk too, completely packed down with stuff. Buy this car if you are in need of an economical vehicle!!!

Great lil Echo
By Barb Cloin on 01/02/06 20:40 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most reliable, economical and fun cars that I have ever owned and I am 55 years old and have owned everything from Cadillacs, Chryslers to Ford falcons and Honda Civics. The Echo out does them all in one way or another, more economical than the Cadillac, more dependable than the Ford and more fun than the Honda. Why in the world would toyota quit making them? Especially now with gas prices soaring.. STOP, Reconsider these are affordable fun vehicles for those of us who NEED dependable affordable transportation and like to drive.