Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

40 mpg! Im sold...
By Mirson

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not much leg room which makes it uncomfortable on long rides

Love my Echo…
By bispo1

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 216,000 + miles. No major maintenance required.
I’ve kept up on the oil changes every 5000 miles and plugs and all the filters every 50,000 miles. I also had the transmission serviced at 100,000 and 200,000 mile marks. Mileage runs about 34 hwy and 28 city.
I’m not one to baby a car, I drive it hard (that’s why the MPG is so low)… I’m 6’ tall and weight is running a little over 200 lbs. The seats have held up excellent, both in form and material. I have plenty of leg and head room…
Total reliability

Best Little Car
By rickolano

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car ain't sexy, it isn't good for Christmas shopping cause boxes don't fit in it like a 26" TV nor in the trunk. BUT BUT BUT>... Its the most reliable car I've ever had. I have owned Chrysler New Yorker, VW Jetta, Ford Capri, Ford Mustang, and Ford Pinto. This has outlasted all of them and cost the least in all areas. At just over 100,000 miles I had to replace the two drive belts, flush the radiator and transmission (never done before now). Easy to change your own oil and spark plugs. On my 3rd set of tires. Now a low droning humm indicates I need a rear wheel bearings replaced. Gas mileage is awesome and I won't give this car up nor sell it.
The cost to own is just too damn reasonable

Gas mileage 40 to 42 mpg. Very peppy as I can literally beat any other small car on the road my size that isn't a racing car. Sits much higher up than most Honda which I love. Good speakers and sound enjoyment when playing a CD. Responsive steering.

I think they discontinued the Echo because it was too inexpensive and competed in mpg with the Prius. So they made the Yaris, a much heavier though sexier looking car.

281k and still going
By Doug

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007 with 213k miles, driven daily since and now at 281k miles. Doesn't use oil, needed few repairs, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough to take on a trip.

Mileage, room for the size, comfort, decent power, reliability.

An armrest would be nice

Good gas milage
By Frank

2003 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used from the original owner with 136,000 miles on it. I have driven it on several 180+ trips and always get 40+ MPG on the freeway. It is a peppy 5 speed manual. I can shift 1-3-5 on a normal start up with no problem. CON. It has a small growling roar on the highway. It is not the engine or transmission which I tested by coasting at high speeds. Also it is not stable in a high cross wind. It is a very clean used car without any signs of the 136K mi. on the speedometer. I have gotten used to the center speedometer but could use a better lighting system in the cluster. Overall I'm well pleased with it. On

Mileage, pep fun to drive

Better stability in cross winds. Better back lighting in the instrument cluster.