2003 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Great Value
By cars4dummies on 02/10/14 12:41 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am just writing this to make a point. Bougth a brand new 2003 4 door Echo sedan. Really this and a few others were the only cars I could afford back then. No regret! Still solid. Never had any major issues. I've been up to all the regular maintenance, and changes tires for winter every year. Never had any accidents on icy and snowy roads here in Calgary. Just trying to make a point. I compare this to a brand new 2010 Subaru Forester which turned out to be a $10k more expensive garbage. I am definitely going back to Toyota.

Amazing Car.
By echoman2 on 05/25/12 15:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited this little guy from my parents when i left for college, with 85,000 miles on it. I have since taken it up to 105,000 miles, because I commute every day to school. Even after 100,000 miles there has NEVER been a single maintenance issue. The thing still runs like a champ. I consistently get 40-43 mpg in the city, and 50 on highway trips. It has a decent amount of space, and can fit four people nicely. The trunk is pretty big, and i have crammed quite a bit of stuff in it. Honestly the most economical car i have ever seen or driven. Its also pretty spunky. The acceleration is decent, and she likes the higher rpms. I have beaten this car up and its still running strong.

Great commuter vehicle
By Raymond on 08/21/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 65 miles a day round trip. This is an inexpensive, very dependable, and cost efficient vehicle to own. It's no frills, and it's not "plush", but it's comfortable enough on long DC area commutes, and tolerable on very long trips for one or two people. There's a surprising amount of headroom for us taller people, and the backseat area and truck are more spacious than you'd expect for such a small car.

Best car on the road
By SER on 07/10/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely upset they quit making these. If I could, I would never buy any other car forever. This is the best car I have ever owned by far. I am a mechanic and do all my own work on my cars. This car never needed anything other than routine maintenance until 167,000 miles when it needed a left front wheel bearing. It gets the best gas mileage of any car other than hybrids. We get 45 mpg hwy. It is actually fast too -- plenty of passing power. At first I did not like the tallish look of it, but it grew on me. The car is like a miracle, I don't know how they did it, but it pulls everything you ever wanted in a car, like tight steering radius, good handling, power, MPG together into one.

Scary Driving, Horrible Customer Service
By tattytiara on 04/28/09 22:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I will never trust Toyota with my safety again. It's one thing to have poorly trained dealers who tell dangerous, outright falsehoods about the vehicle's features and design, it's another to train the head office staff to deal with customer complaints by running them through a maze of incompetence in the hope they'll just get frustrated and give up rather than addressing customer concerns directly. One slight breeze and you're in the ditch. The fuel economy's very misleading, because you need to carry at least half a beach worth of sand just to stay on the road. The windows spontaneously rolling down is just bonus fun. I have never been more dissatisfied with a purchase in my life.

2003 Echo 4Dr Sedan
By CarFan on 01/31/09 10:43 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Dependable, economical & fun small car to drive - especially during times of high gas prices. This car is excellent for city driving and ok for shorter highway trips. It's light weight makes it easily swayed by passing trucks and not the best traction on snowy roads. It could use cruise control & arm rests.

What a car!
By chuckamuck on 07/22/08 03:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had an 06 Tacoma that I bought right off the line - never saw a dealer's lot, and I loved it. However with the price of fuel approaching $5.00 per gallon I was in need of a more economical vehicle. This one is it. The Echo was made for me. I see a lot of people saying that it is hard to handle in bad weather, but I have to disagree. If you keep the tires balanced and rotated, and properly inflated it handles as well as a Camry. The only thing I would have done differently in design would be to replace the seats with something more comfortable for the long haul - nice for in town driving but a little stiff on long rides. Other than that this car is perfect.

2003 Toyota ECHO
By Sharon on 06/10/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's even good in snow! Amazing! Once around Erie there were two cars off the road in a squall, I called and the dispatcher said there were 200 cars off the road in that county! AND I just kept going without a problem! I don't get tired on long trips of 8-11 hours!

Best car I have ever owned and I am 57
By nickel1951 on 06/07/08 07:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used after owning a 2001 Echo for six years. I sold the 2001 to my son who was just graduating from college and bought this car for myself. I have never bought another car that was identical to the one I had had for six years already before but this car is special. I actually made my son promise to sell me the old car back when he wants to get rid of it so I can have a backup. The only thing that was not satisfactory in either car were the floor mats. I have no idea why, but they wore out quite quickly. The dealership even gave me a full replacement after the first year and those wore out as well. I bought some after market ones from Walmart and they have been fine.

Great gas, nice car for young single
By KT on 11/09/07 22:39 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has great mileage. It's very simple, and cute looks. It's not much fun to drive, but it's very easy to drive. I recommend it to a young single driver. It's also very reasonable price. It looks like a small car, but it has nice space.