Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

40 mpg! Im sold...
By Mirson

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not much leg room which makes it uncomfortable on long rides

Little Reliable
By Patti

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 90k miles, sold around 110k because was moving (otherwise would have kept it). I bought it after owning a little honda civic, so a couple differences became apparent. I had a manual, and the shifting on the Echo was definitely clunkier. It worked, but had nowhere near the finesse of the Honda. I did like the seat height, it made the car easy to get in and out of, much better than the civic that way. Also liked the windows, felt like I could see so much more in the Echo. I never had a problem with this car all the time that I owned it, and it got excellent fuel economy, previous owner quoted me 37 mixed city/highway, and I know on road trips the fuel economy was out-of-this-world unbelievable. The car was not very good on snow and ice. Probably the short/narrow wheelbase and light weight, but it's squirrely as hell on icy roads (this is in comparison to other little cars).

232951 miles and still going and going
By cyrus

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

purchased it used with over 92k.miles and and added 140k.miles with no major problems(every 4k.miles oil&filter and 3 sets of tires &2 tune ups)I love this car i have 2 cars but this is the one i mostly drive due mpg (average 42mpg city&hwy ) this one is a keeper for its life or my life.

Wish I could buy another
By kag

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 seats 5 adults, has a huge trunk, and is small on the outside. I have a manual and drive conservatively, and have averaged 49 mpg on mixed driving over the last 12 years. At 246,000, I had my first age related repair - a wheel bearing, then a resonator at 270,000. Otherwise, oil changes, battery and tires, plugs, and it just goes.

Professional reviewers complain about the styling, but I love the big windows, headroom, and storage space that includes two glove compartments, two cubbies, a driver side shelf and passenger side drawer. The trunk, holding 6 suitcases plus more, is bigger than most intermediate cars. The wonderful center console is never blocked by the steering wheel and reduces nighttime glare.

Great Value
By cars4dummies

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am just writing this to make a point. Bougth a brand new 2003 4 door Echo sedan. Really this and a few others were the only cars I could afford back then.

No regret! Still solid. Never had any major issues. I've been up to all the regular maintenance, and changes tires for winter every year.
Never had any accidents on icy and snowy roads here in Calgary.

Just trying to make a point. I compare this to a brand new 2010 Subaru Forester which turned out to be a $10k more expensive garbage.

I am definitely going back to Toyota.

Basic. Cost effective. Runs well, and don't break at all.

Designing, but in the end who cares.