Used 2003 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great Value
By cars4dummies

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am just writing this to make a point. Bougth a brand new 2003 4 door Echo sedan. Really this and a few others were the only cars I could afford back then. No regret! Still solid. Never had any major issues. I've been up to all the regular maintenance, and changes tires for winter every year. Never had any accidents on icy and snowy roads here in Calgary. Just trying to make a point. I compare this to a brand new 2010 Subaru Forester which turned out to be a $10k more expensive garbage. I am definitely going back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

Basic. Cost effective. Runs well, and don't break at all.

Suggested Improvements

Designing, but in the end who cares.

Love my Echo…
By bispo1

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 216,000 + miles. No major maintenance required. I’ve kept up on the oil changes every 5000 miles and plugs and all the filters every 50,000 miles. I also had the transmission serviced at 100,000 and 200,000 mile marks. Mileage runs about 34 hwy and 28 city. I’m not one to baby a car, I drive it hard (that’s why the MPG is so low)… I’m 6’ tall and weight is running a little over 200 lbs. The seats have held up excellent, both in form and material. I have plenty of leg and head room… Total reliability

Amazing Car.
By echoman2

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited this little guy from my parents when i left for college, with 85,000 miles on it. I have since taken it up to 105,000 miles, because I commute every day to school. Even after 100,000 miles there has NEVER been a single maintenance issue. The thing still runs like a champ. I consistently get 40-43 mpg in the city, and 50 on highway trips. It has a decent amount of space, and can fit four people nicely. The trunk is pretty big, and i have crammed quite a bit of stuff in it. Honestly the most economical car i have ever seen or driven. Its also pretty spunky. The acceleration is decent, and she likes the higher rpms. I have beaten this car up and its still running strong.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior, reliability, build quality

Suggested Improvements

The only thing bad is that I wish they had sold the hatchback version in the U.S.

Echo rocks!
By compart

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This little car has the room and comfort of my other Toyota...which is a Camry. It is awesome, super reliable and great gas mileage. If you a very comfortable and simple car to get you from point A to point B...this is it!

Favorite Features

Interior is much more roomy than I expected and nice styling. Reliability and gas are tops.

Suggested Improvements

Rename the Yaris, Echo!

Best Little Car
By rickolano

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car ain't sexy, it isn't good for Christmas shopping cause boxes don't fit in it like a 26" TV nor in the trunk. BUT BUT BUT>... Its the most reliable car I've ever had. I have owned Chrysler New Yorker, VW Jetta, Ford Capri, Ford Mustang, and Ford Pinto. This has outlasted all of them and cost the least in all areas. At just over 100,000 miles I had to replace the two drive belts, flush the radiator and transmission (never done before now). Easy to change your own oil and spark plugs. On my 3rd set of tires. Now a low droning humm indicates I need a rear wheel bearings replaced. Gas mileage is awesome and I won't give this car up nor sell it. The cost to own is just too damn reasonable

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 40 to 42 mpg. Very peppy as I can literally beat any other small car on the road my size that isn't a racing car. Sits much higher up than most Honda which I love. Good speakers and sound enjoyment when playing a CD. Responsive steering.

Suggested Improvements

I think they discontinued the Echo because it was too inexpensive and competed in mpg with the Prius. So they made the Yaris, a much heavier though sexier looking car.