2003 Toyota ECHO Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2003 ECHO Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Value
By cars4dummies

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am just writing this to make a point. Bougth a brand new 2003 4 door Echo sedan. Really this and a few others were the only cars I could afford back then. No regret! Still solid. Never had any major issues. I've been up to all the regular maintenance, and changes tires for winter every year. Never had any accidents on icy and snowy roads here in Calgary. Just trying to make a point. I compare this to a brand new 2010 Subaru Forester which turned out to be a $10k more expensive garbage. I am definitely going back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

Basic. Cost effective. Runs well, and don't break at all.

Suggested Improvements

Designing, but in the end who cares.

Love my Echo…
By bispo1

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 216,000 + miles. No major maintenance required. I’ve kept up on the oil changes every 5000 miles and plugs and all the filters every 50,000 miles. I also had the transmission serviced at 100,000 and 200,000 mile marks. Mileage runs about 34 hwy and 28 city. I’m not one to baby a car, I drive it hard (that’s why the MPG is so low)… I’m 6’ tall and weight is running a little over 200 lbs. The seats have held up excellent, both in form and material. I have plenty of leg and head room… Total reliability

Amazing Car.
By echoman2

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I inherited this little guy from my parents when i left for college, with 85,000 miles on it. I have since taken it up to 105,000 miles, because I commute every day to school. Even after 100,000 miles there has NEVER been a single maintenance issue. The thing still runs like a champ. I consistently get 40-43 mpg in the city, and 50 on highway trips. It has a decent amount of space, and can fit four people nicely. The trunk is pretty big, and i have crammed quite a bit of stuff in it. Honestly the most economical car i have ever seen or driven. Its also pretty spunky. The acceleration is decent, and she likes the higher rpms. I have beaten this car up and its still running strong.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior, reliability, build quality

Suggested Improvements

The only thing bad is that I wish they had sold the hatchback version in the U.S.

Echo rocks!
By compart

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This little car has the room and comfort of my other Toyota...which is a Camry. It is awesome, super reliable and great gas mileage. If you a very comfortable and simple car to get you from point A to point B...this is it!

Favorite Features

Interior is much more roomy than I expected and nice styling. Reliability and gas are tops.

Suggested Improvements

Rename the Yaris, Echo!

Best Little Car
By rickolano

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car ain't sexy, it isn't good for Christmas shopping cause boxes don't fit in it like a 26" TV nor in the trunk. BUT BUT BUT>... Its the most reliable car I've ever had. I have owned Chrysler New Yorker, VW Jetta, Ford Capri, Ford Mustang, and Ford Pinto. This has outlasted all of them and cost the least in all areas. At just over 100,000 miles I had to replace the two drive belts, flush the radiator and transmission (never done before now). Easy to change your own oil and spark plugs. On my 3rd set of tires. Now a low droning humm indicates I need a rear wheel bearings replaced. Gas mileage is awesome and I won't give this car up nor sell it. The cost to own is just too damn reasonable

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 40 to 42 mpg. Very peppy as I can literally beat any other small car on the road my size that isn't a racing car. Sits much higher up than most Honda which I love. Good speakers and sound enjoyment when playing a CD. Responsive steering.

Suggested Improvements

I think they discontinued the Echo because it was too inexpensive and competed in mpg with the Prius. So they made the Yaris, a much heavier though sexier looking car.

Not bad, but not for tall folks
By jazbees

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it in 2006. Not a bad little car, but it didn't have quite the leg room that this driver needed. Started having muscle/joint aches in my right leg after commuting with it for a while. Switched back to our other car (a '96 Geo Prizm) and the pain disappeared. Aside from that, it was okay. The odd placement of the gauges (a little to the right of the steering wheel) took some getting used to. Very peppy, excellent fuel economy. No major issues that I can recall. Its trunk crumpled quite well when we got rear-ended by a Dodge Ram in early '11, which protected our daughter in the back seat. It did its job, and is now resting peacefully in a junk lot.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy, great get-up-and-go. Roomy trunk considering the car's small size.

Suggested Improvements

Ours didn't come with power steering, which drove us a little nuts at times. I don't recommend getting any car without it, but it's especially troublesome with this one.

281k and still going
By Doug

2003 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in 2007 with 213k miles, driven daily since and now at 281k miles. Doesn't use oil, needed few repairs, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough to take on a trip.

Favorite Features

Mileage, room for the size, comfort, decent power, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

An armrest would be nice

Best toyota
By rolo

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My echo is the best car I have ever owned. Never stops running, no repairs whatsoever. Have only replaced brakes, front only, and oil changes. Have replaced spark plugs and air filter, thats it. Runs like a champ. No Wonder they stopped making them. They could had become the VW beetle of the 2000s

Favorite Features

fuel eco

Suggested Improvements

more colors

Indestructible
By ddmyers

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Best little economy car on Earth ! She's 7 years old now, and not a single problem or repair, with the exception of the "rusty floorboard recall" of several years ago. Just routine maintenance. You could drive this car into a volcano, and it would still run. Fairly comfortable to drive on long trips. The interior has held up well - - - - the seats still look like new! And I actually like the center-mounted gauges; steering wheel and hands don't obstruct their viewing. Not affected by the recent Toyota recalls. The only thing that I can complain about is that I wish she had a little more power.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, quirky looks, fits in the garage with room to spare, unbelievably reliable. And has better headroom than its Yaris replacement.

Suggested Improvements

none

It will run forever
By car nut

2003 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this used in 2005 with 38,000 on it. Had to replaced the windshield in 2006 ( a rock got it) one rear wheel bearing, and two sets of tires. Other than oil changes, and a set of brake pads, it has never failed us. We live in the Midwest and travel a lot to see our family. It's fantastic on gas ( 41 mpg on the flats going to California on one trip.) I'm kind of a big guy, 6'3", and about 260 lbs. and I find the car fairly comfortable. I would buy another one with no worries. Too bad the echo is not made any more.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

None