Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great Little Car
By Bert

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car! I bought this car used from an individual. I have nearly 100,000 miles, and not a single problem. Comfy, roomy for a tiny package and great on gas!

MPG, roomy interior, large trunk.

Need wiper delay, more sound insulation. Some fit and finish problems in interior. A lot of high frequency rattles in dashboard. Fold down back seat should be standard. Most other cars in this price range have these items. Still a great car!

Best car for first time driver
By Nuno

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife for her to learn how to drive, not only was she comfortable, it was fun to drive. We even took it from NY to North Carolina and Virginia Beach. We made a great trip, Never had any problem with it. and Gas consumption, on that trip was over 36 mpg and in city is around 32-35. Very easy to park, and to find park for. This car was a great experience for us.

Gas consumption, easy to park and fun to drive, looks small but when you step on the gas, it goes fast. You should see the trunk on this little car, impressive.

Exterior design could be better.

Almost a Great car...
By GPRenegade

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my echo after driving a V6 Buick LeSabre so my numbers for performance and comfort may be a little biased, but the rest of my ratings are bluntly honest and accurate. Performance & comfort: has good acceleration from a standstill, but not so great at higher speeds (engine vibrates, whines, and often hesitates). Fun & economy: the Echo handles like a go-kart. Great for turns and navigating traffic, not so great at high speed or in bad weather. Gas mileage is good, close to what is expected. Design & quality & reliability: great interior styling, love the speedometer placement. Hate the exterior styling. It reminds me of a ride at disneyland. As for reliability, it's a Toyota.

Odometer/speedometer placement. Simple, minimalist interior styling. Go-Kart handling. Gas mileage.

A tachometer would be nice, and maybe a lower roofline. The car would be SOO much better if they'd fix that goofy grill.

good little car
By ray

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

great little car, little gas to operate no major problems so far

great ac/ excellent radio and quality

it was improved with the yaris

Great commuter on a budget
By Vivorodz

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have never been displeased with the impact on the pocket book. This car has been driven as a commuter to college (20 miles one way) and as a teacher (25 mi one way) with LOW impact on the pocket book. When gas was in the $1 range I could fill up for around $15, now a days I spent closer to $25 but I am not complaining. I avg. around 30-35 miles per gallon in my automatic and make several trips to San Antonio a year for conventions. This car makes it from the Dallas Fort Worth area to San Antonio (around 300 miles) on 3/4 of a tank easily, fully loaded and with the air conditioner running.

GREAT gas mileage, loads of storage and cubby holes, plenty of room for 4 adults - even over 6 foot, lots of head room, easy to drive and see instrument panel

Upgraded suspension would be nice, you tend to feel the road too much in my opinion. More settings for the wipers other than medium rain and downpour. Standard ABS, power windows, locks, and mirrors.