Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Excellent little car
By deyzel

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought it in 2002 it was all I could afford. Now 7 years later I do not want to drive anything else. Not a single problem and great fuel economy on top of that. Add trouble free driving in the brutal Alberta winters to the list of praise. Being handed off to my girls now and I am sure they will get another 7 years of trouble free driving.

Large trunk. Fits two golf bags with pull carts. Very spacious inside. Fuel economy.

Standard ABS (was not even an option in 2002).

MPG 41-47 (5 tests)
By ARY

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My manual 2002 4dr Echo has 175K now. I did 5 tests on mpg w/different routes and cargo load (from just one driver to 1 driver + 8 scuba tanks and a scooter). The roads are country, FL. Burned some 3/4 of a tank, read receipts for exact difference and read the odometer. None of the tests indicated lower than 40 mpg and the highest I've ever recorded was 47. For 175K replaced parts were: burned cabin fan resistor, 3 sets of tires (worn), cracked windshield (gravel), dozen w-shield wipes, oil change. Best of all - I paid it off 2 yrs ago. None of the new cars come close to the performance and "True Cost 2 Own", not even Yaris nor Honda Fit.

manual gear, enormous trunk space, split bench, simple controls, instrument panel, visibility, accessibility and ergonomics

I miss auxiliary big locomotive horn. Why in the world did Toyota US stop selling Echo?

We Love Our Echo
By Grandpa

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am 62 years old, and I've owned a lot of cars. Our Echo is the best car we have ever owned. The ONLY weakness is on ice with a coating of snow, but I put studded snow tires on the front and the problem was solved. It is noisy on the highway, but it is an economy car, and and a really good one. I only wish that I could buy a brand new one exactly like it 5-6 years from now. I got rear ended by a ford ranger. There was more damage to the Ranger. The Echo takes a punch, too! It still has the factory battery in it. Seven years and still cranking.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Vicki

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This baby car as I call it is so easy and fun to drive. I have had no problems. It gets me where I want to go. Great gas mileage. Plenty of space for me and all the kids I drive around. I really love Toyotas. My first Toyota lasted 18 years, and this is my second.

A Home Run With Me
By Tom

2002 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new back in 2002 and quite frankly it was the first foreign car I've ever purchased. I always bought from GM, and at the time of purchase, the "Big Three" were making only gas guzzlers (the Geo Metro was phased out). So I was very apprehensive about buying foreign. Wow, my fears were unfounded. This car runs and runs and runs. I've got 80000 miles on it and the only thing I've done is put gas in it and change the oil every 6 months religiously. Absolutely no problems, not even a sensor light has come on. Love this car - would recommend this car to anyone - and I have, and two people have purchased this car used and they love it as well.

Economical, reliable, good sound system, no problems - I even have the original battery!! For a small car it is even roomy. If you want, reliable, economical transportation, then this is the car for you.

Cruise control and intermittent wipers should be standard.