Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

32 mpg since when
By boomer

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Edmunds review says 32 mpg. The Echo seems to have a variable mileage with actual mileage being closer to the 32 mark in sub-zero weather. However in actual driving here in Wisconsin I consistently get 40-42 mpg. Above 50 degrees I have gotten as much as 44 mpg. lately on a vehicle with over 110,000 miles on it. Funky steering in the wind, funky looking, but very roomy inside and well-built body. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat and no I'm not selling the one I have.

Favorite Features

I love that center speedo. I don't like looking over or through a wheel with trifocals. It's easy to get used to. This car got a lot of unfair diss on styling. It has CHARACTER! at a reasonable price!

Suggested Improvements

Put Blizzaks on it in the winter.

We Love Our Echo
By Grandpa

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am 62 years old, and I've owned a lot of cars. Our Echo is the best car we have ever owned. The ONLY weakness is on ice with a coating of snow, but I put studded snow tires on the front and the problem was solved. It is noisy on the highway, but it is an economy car, and and a really good one. I only wish that I could buy a brand new one exactly like it 5-6 years from now. I got rear ended by a ford ranger. There was more damage to the Ranger. The Echo takes a punch, too! It still has the factory battery in it. Seven years and still cranking.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Vicki

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This baby car as I call it is so easy and fun to drive. I have had no problems. It gets me where I want to go. Great gas mileage. Plenty of space for me and all the kids I drive around. I really love Toyotas. My first Toyota lasted 18 years, and this is my second.

A Home Run With Me
By Tom

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new back in 2002 and quite frankly it was the first foreign car I've ever purchased. I always bought from GM, and at the time of purchase, the "Big Three" were making only gas guzzlers (the Geo Metro was phased out). So I was very apprehensive about buying foreign. Wow, my fears were unfounded. This car runs and runs and runs. I've got 80000 miles on it and the only thing I've done is put gas in it and change the oil every 6 months religiously. Absolutely no problems, not even a sensor light has come on. Love this car - would recommend this car to anyone - and I have, and two people have purchased this car used and they love it as well.

Favorite Features

Economical, reliable, good sound system, no problems - I even have the original battery!! For a small car it is even roomy. If you want, reliable, economical transportation, then this is the car for you.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control and intermittent wipers should be standard.

Outside side mirrors should be bigger
By Eddie

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little Echo is great, however there should be an inside control pad for the outside side mirrors. I noticed that this feature would be great as backing up or changing lanes you want to see the whole picture, the outside mirrors are small so I find that I have to look over my should a lot more especially when changing lanes. I looked into having a control pad installed and they informed me that it would cost me a bundle as they would have to redo the computer chip set and wiring.

Favorite Features

I love the storage compartments, and the fuel economy and that the automatic has the shifter down between the seats instead of in the steering column,

Suggested Improvements

A inside control panel for outside, side mirrors and that the side mirrors are larger.