Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great around town, so-so on the road
By PetRock235

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Economical car, 30mpg avg, easily fits in tight parking spaces, pretty good around town. The ride is a little bumpy, and it's noisy at highway speed. Acceleration is OK for on ramps but a little underpowered for climbing hills.

Gets me around
By kevin

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car until recently I had to spend $300 for a starter then 2 weeks later $1400 to repair the manual transmission. Needed bearings, ring block for 5th gear and a few other things. Mechanic said the original fluid was still in there after 140,000 miles. It should be replaced at least every 40,000 miles so I guess it was my fault. Otherwise a great car.

40 + MPG

the dashboard

Best car I've ever had.
By bolvo

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many cars in my life... from Mercedes Benz to Volvos to Nissan and Hondas. But boy did I ever own a Toyota? Not until now. I'm 40 and I can tell you reliability and Toyota go together. This little car goes. 5 Speed Standard. 350 miles per tank!! That's driving all over Houston for 10 days non-stop to the point where you forget what the car rolls on! And finally you remember to look at the fuel gauge... why? Because after 10 days of nothing but driving you are no longer concerned about gas or prices or even worrying about re-fueling. Cold A/C... small; easy to change the oil by yourself, brakes,etc... cheaper to fix... and it's a Toyota. Yep, reliable (period).

Small - easy to fix; small but easy on your wallet. Reliable... lasts for years... longevity. You fall in love with a well made car. Except for the Made in China gray interior the whole car is nothing but a joy to drive. 5 speed standard.

Better interiors, put in some nice dashboard... quality has its color and it's not cheap. Gray made in China.

Excellent little car
By deyzel

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought it in 2002 it was all I could afford. Now 7 years later I do not want to drive anything else. Not a single problem and great fuel economy on top of that. Add trouble free driving in the brutal Alberta winters to the list of praise. Being handed off to my girls now and I am sure they will get another 7 years of trouble free driving.

Large trunk. Fits two golf bags with pull carts. Very spacious inside. Fuel economy.

Standard ABS (was not even an option in 2002).

MPG 41-47 (5 tests)
By ARY

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My manual 2002 4dr Echo has 175K now. I did 5 tests on mpg w/different routes and cargo load (from just one driver to 1 driver + 8 scuba tanks and a scooter). The roads are country, FL. Burned some 3/4 of a tank, read receipts for exact difference and read the odometer. None of the tests indicated lower than 40 mpg and the highest I've ever recorded was 47. For 175K replaced parts were: burned cabin fan resistor, 3 sets of tires (worn), cracked windshield (gravel), dozen w-shield wipes, oil change. Best of all - I paid it off 2 yrs ago. None of the new cars come close to the performance and "True Cost 2 Own", not even Yaris nor Honda Fit.

manual gear, enormous trunk space, split bench, simple controls, instrument panel, visibility, accessibility and ergonomics

I miss auxiliary big locomotive horn. Why in the world did Toyota US stop selling Echo?