2002 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
32 mpg since when
By boomer on 05/25/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Edmunds review says 32 mpg. The Echo seems to have a variable mileage with actual mileage being closer to the 32 mark in sub-zero weather. However in actual driving here in Wisconsin I consistently get 40-42 mpg. Above 50 degrees I have gotten as much as 44 mpg. lately on a vehicle with over 110,000 miles on it. Funky steering in the wind, funky looking, but very roomy inside and well-built body. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat and no I'm not selling the one I have.

We Love Our Echo
By Grandpa on 04/18/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am 62 years old, and I've owned a lot of cars. Our Echo is the best car we have ever owned. The ONLY weakness is on ice with a coating of snow, but I put studded snow tires on the front and the problem was solved. It is noisy on the highway, but it is an economy car, and and a really good one. I only wish that I could buy a brand new one exactly like it 5-6 years from now. I got rear ended by a ford ranger. There was more damage to the Ranger. The Echo takes a punch, too! It still has the factory battery in it. Seven years and still cranking.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Vicki on 03/14/09 07:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This baby car as I call it is so easy and fun to drive. I have had no problems. It gets me where I want to go. Great gas mileage. Plenty of space for me and all the kids I drive around. I really love Toyotas. My first Toyota lasted 18 years, and this is my second.

A Home Run With Me
By Tom on 02/21/09 09:29 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new back in 2002 and quite frankly it was the first foreign car I've ever purchased. I always bought from GM, and at the time of purchase, the "Big Three" were making only gas guzzlers (the Geo Metro was phased out). So I was very apprehensive about buying foreign. Wow, my fears were unfounded. This car runs and runs and runs. I've got 80000 miles on it and the only thing I've done is put gas in it and change the oil every 6 months religiously. Absolutely no problems, not even a sensor light has come on. Love this car - would recommend this car to anyone - and I have, and two people have purchased this car used and they love it as well.

Outside side mirrors should be bigger
By Eddie on 12/13/08 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little Echo is great, however there should be an inside control pad for the outside side mirrors. I noticed that this feature would be great as backing up or changing lanes you want to see the whole picture, the outside mirrors are small so I find that I have to look over my should a lot more especially when changing lanes. I looked into having a control pad installed and they informed me that it would cost me a bundle as they would have to redo the computer chip set and wiring.

Couldn't Ask for a Better Car!
By Niblackfeet on 09/27/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just can't say enough about this little gem. What I "sacrifice" in luxury and styling (and not a big sacrifice, it's a conveyance, not a living room!) I make up in performance and fuel economy. I have had this car for 4 years and have, admittedly, been pretty rough with it. I haven't yet had it in the shop except for yearly inspections. Recently, on a long, flat, straight trip, I traveled 500 miles on a tank of gas. I estimate the tank to be about 11 gallons so you do the math! 5 people can fit comfortably and the trunk space is phenomenal. It's easy to park and easy to drive. If you want a reliable car and feel responsible for environmental impact, this is the way to go

Who needs a Smartcar??!
By Justin on 09/04/08 03:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I drive my Echo, I forget that it is a 1.5 liter VVT-i and not a sports car. I was surprised when I test drove it, as I was expecting the response to compare to a Ford Tempo. The car has more interior room than my brothers 2008 Aveo, and my other brothers 2008 Focus! It is not the fastest car on the block, but it sure is fun to drive! I own the manual, so I wouldn't even want to ever drive an auto again!

Gem of a Car
By solid citizen on 05/14/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 ECHO brand new back in 2002. Over 6+ years later, she's still a winner. Not many vehicles can boast that after 5 years they are problem- free, reliable, economical and stylish. I am SO glad I decided on getting an ECHO. Still cute as ever. This car is a gem. Something ECHO owners know very well. Best car ever made, without a doubt.

45 mpg gold mine
By Carla J. on 04/23/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I was traveling 136 miles daily to and from work. I don't know how Toyota made a car that is so peppy (it made me feel 10 years younger just driving it) yet so easy on gas (45mpg). It's a small car but it rides great. The trunk room is unbelievable and if you need more room the back seats fold down. I love the simplicity (fewer things to go wrong with it). I've added flames and white letter tires to spruce up the looks of it. I call it the little car nobody wanted because it had been on the car lot for several months and nobody wanted it because it had a manual transmission and the way it looked. Their loss, my gain!

Echo Is Our Best Car Ever!
By HARRY jOLLEY on 03/09/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Echo new at the end of 2001. It has driven us to New Jersey, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Connecticut and more. This car has never, ever let us down. It plows through deep snow like it's a big car, it drives well in the rain, and withstands wind. On the interior, all those little cubbyholes keep the little car clear of clutter and the extra height is nice for the view on long rides. And, oh yeah, 25-30 highway mpgs even after all these years. We will never, ever, sell this car!