2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Gets me around
By kevin on 08/29/09 02:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car until recently I had to spend $300 for a starter then 2 weeks later $1400 to repair the manual transmission. Needed bearings, ring block for 5th gear and a few other things. Mechanic said the original fluid was still in there after 140,000 miles. It should be replaced at least every 40,000 miles so I guess it was my fault. Otherwise a great car.

Best car I've ever had.
By bolvo on 08/04/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many cars in my life... from Mercedes Benz to Volvos to Nissan and Hondas. But boy did I ever own a Toyota? Not until now. I'm 40 and I can tell you reliability and Toyota go together. This little car goes. 5 Speed Standard. 350 miles per tank!! That's driving all over Houston for 10 days non-stop to the point where you forget what the car rolls on! And finally you remember to look at the fuel gauge... why? Because after 10 days of nothing but driving you are no longer concerned about gas or prices or even worrying about re-fueling. Cold A/C... small; easy to change the oil by yourself, brakes,etc... cheaper to fix... and it's a Toyota. Yep, reliable (period).

32 mpg since when
By boomer on 05/25/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Edmunds review says 32 mpg. The Echo seems to have a variable mileage with actual mileage being closer to the 32 mark in sub-zero weather. However in actual driving here in Wisconsin I consistently get 40-42 mpg. Above 50 degrees I have gotten as much as 44 mpg. lately on a vehicle with over 110,000 miles on it. Funky steering in the wind, funky looking, but very roomy inside and well-built body. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat and no I'm not selling the one I have.

Outside side mirrors should be bigger
By Eddie on 12/13/08 14:17 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little Echo is great, however there should be an inside control pad for the outside side mirrors. I noticed that this feature would be great as backing up or changing lanes you want to see the whole picture, the outside mirrors are small so I find that I have to look over my should a lot more especially when changing lanes. I looked into having a control pad installed and they informed me that it would cost me a bundle as they would have to redo the computer chip set and wiring.

Couldn't Ask for a Better Car!
By Niblackfeet on 09/27/08 04:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just can't say enough about this little gem. What I "sacrifice" in luxury and styling (and not a big sacrifice, it's a conveyance, not a living room!) I make up in performance and fuel economy. I have had this car for 4 years and have, admittedly, been pretty rough with it. I haven't yet had it in the shop except for yearly inspections. Recently, on a long, flat, straight trip, I traveled 500 miles on a tank of gas. I estimate the tank to be about 11 gallons so you do the math! 5 people can fit comfortably and the trunk space is phenomenal. It's easy to park and easy to drive. If you want a reliable car and feel responsible for environmental impact, this is the way to go

Who needs a Smartcar??!
By Justin on 09/04/08 03:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I drive my Echo, I forget that it is a 1.5 liter VVT-i and not a sports car. I was surprised when I test drove it, as I was expecting the response to compare to a Ford Tempo. The car has more interior room than my brothers 2008 Aveo, and my other brothers 2008 Focus! It is not the fastest car on the block, but it sure is fun to drive! I own the manual, so I wouldn't even want to ever drive an auto again!

45 mpg gold mine
By Carla J. on 04/23/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I was traveling 136 miles daily to and from work. I don't know how Toyota made a car that is so peppy (it made me feel 10 years younger just driving it) yet so easy on gas (45mpg). It's a small car but it rides great. The trunk room is unbelievable and if you need more room the back seats fold down. I love the simplicity (fewer things to go wrong with it). I've added flames and white letter tires to spruce up the looks of it. I call it the little car nobody wanted because it had been on the car lot for several months and nobody wanted it because it had a manual transmission and the way it looked. Their loss, my gain!

It's all good from here!
By Joshie on 02/27/08 14:15 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the best car for your money. It is so roomy and has so much storage it seems unnecessary to have the amount that it does. I have had 5 people in my car and everyone fits comfortably. I am also 6'8" and I fit in with no problem. Although the fuel economy is not what is listed (28 city) I think I drive too fast to get what is listed, but highway seems very good. Even though this car is small it can sustain a speed hovering around 80 mph. This car is great.

Great Car!
By Krystal on 03/05/07 17:47 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tops! I got an ECHO in 2001 for Christmas, I've never had a problem with it (other than a recall in 2006). Starts up in bad weather and is a great car for teens. Cheap to maintain and the gas mileage is wonderful. I drove from Madison to Chicago and back (~350miles) and still had 1/4 tank of gas left! Very roomy, especially the trunk. People are always surprised how much room is in that small of a car. Extremely reliable and REALLY fun to drive (5 speed manual)!

I Love my Echo at the Gas Pumps
By Dawn on 04/27/06 20:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my ECHO. I get close to 50 mpg. With the prices of gas today, it only takes $20.00 to fill her up. It's a fun car to drive and is very reliable. I am sad that Toyota is not making Echo's any longer for the US. I actually got a letter from the Dealer wanting to buy this car back. I hope to have this car for many years.