Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Gone but not forgotten
By pprodshd

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an epitaph as our "toy car" was recently totaled while parked on the street. At 93K miles, we had done oil changes and a $150 brake job. We enjoyed 2+ years with no payment or service needs. Was a great city car and always an adventure going 70 mph with a cross wind. It had 100% more charisma than any other sub compact from then or now. She will be missed. Probably moving into a civic. BORING

reliability, cost of ownership, fantastically bizarre styling and center dials. So strange.

Really hard to pick up chicks in. Status symbol, wrong status.

Gets me around
By kevin

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car until recently I had to spend $300 for a starter then 2 weeks later $1400 to repair the manual transmission. Needed bearings, ring block for 5th gear and a few other things. Mechanic said the original fluid was still in there after 140,000 miles. It should be replaced at least every 40,000 miles so I guess it was my fault. Otherwise a great car.

40 + MPG

the dashboard

Best car I've ever had.
By bolvo

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many cars in my life... from Mercedes Benz to Volvos to Nissan and Hondas. But boy did I ever own a Toyota? Not until now. I'm 40 and I can tell you reliability and Toyota go together. This little car goes. 5 Speed Standard. 350 miles per tank!! That's driving all over Houston for 10 days non-stop to the point where you forget what the car rolls on! And finally you remember to look at the fuel gauge... why? Because after 10 days of nothing but driving you are no longer concerned about gas or prices or even worrying about re-fueling. Cold A/C... small; easy to change the oil by yourself, brakes,etc... cheaper to fix... and it's a Toyota. Yep, reliable (period).

Small - easy to fix; small but easy on your wallet. Reliable... lasts for years... longevity. You fall in love with a well made car. Except for the Made in China gray interior the whole car is nothing but a joy to drive. 5 speed standard.

Better interiors, put in some nice dashboard... quality has its color and it's not cheap. Gray made in China.

32 mpg since when
By boomer

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Edmunds review says 32 mpg. The Echo seems to have a variable mileage with actual mileage being closer to the 32 mark in sub-zero weather. However in actual driving here in Wisconsin I consistently get 40-42 mpg. Above 50 degrees I have gotten as much as 44 mpg. lately on a vehicle with over 110,000 miles on it. Funky steering in the wind, funky looking, but very roomy inside and well-built body. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat and no I'm not selling the one I have.

I love that center speedo. I don't like looking over or through a wheel with trifocals. It's easy to get used to. This car got a lot of unfair diss on styling. It has CHARACTER! at a reasonable price!

Put Blizzaks on it in the winter.

Outside side mirrors should be bigger
By Eddie

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My little Echo is great, however there should be an inside control pad for the outside side mirrors. I noticed that this feature would be great as backing up or changing lanes you want to see the whole picture, the outside mirrors are small so I find that I have to look over my should a lot more especially when changing lanes. I looked into having a control pad installed and they informed me that it would cost me a bundle as they would have to redo the computer chip set and wiring.

I love the storage compartments, and the fuel economy and that the automatic has the shifter down between the seats instead of in the steering column,

A inside control panel for outside, side mirrors and that the side mirrors are larger.