Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Esther Echo
By Renata

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased our Echo in 2014 and is a 2002... 2 door model.....
If your ok with a basic model that this is the car for you....it would be a great car to start you teenage driver on given the no frills model and the great reliability of the Toyota product.
Great manueverability in town (parks great) ...
I get 40 mpg on the hiway and have gone 400 plus miles on a tank of gas....Saaweeeeeet!
I wish they would have included intermittent wipers on the instrument package though and the AC is great for the hot days but climbing grades it is better to shut it off for better engine performance given the 1.5 liter size of the motor. Overall, we are happy with our little Esther the Echo.

Gone but not forgotten
By pprodshd

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an epitaph as our "toy car" was recently totaled while parked on the street. At 93K miles, we had done oil changes and a $150 brake job. We enjoyed 2+ years with no payment or service needs. Was a great city car and always an adventure going 70 mph with a cross wind. It had 100% more charisma than any other sub compact from then or now. She will be missed. Probably moving into a civic. BORING

reliability, cost of ownership, fantastically bizarre styling and center dials. So strange.

Really hard to pick up chicks in. Status symbol, wrong status.

Gets me around
By kevin

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car until recently I had to spend $300 for a starter then 2 weeks later $1400 to repair the manual transmission. Needed bearings, ring block for 5th gear and a few other things. Mechanic said the original fluid was still in there after 140,000 miles. It should be replaced at least every 40,000 miles so I guess it was my fault. Otherwise a great car.

40 + MPG

the dashboard

Best car I've ever had.
By bolvo

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many cars in my life... from Mercedes Benz to Volvos to Nissan and Hondas. But boy did I ever own a Toyota? Not until now. I'm 40 and I can tell you reliability and Toyota go together. This little car goes. 5 Speed Standard. 350 miles per tank!! That's driving all over Houston for 10 days non-stop to the point where you forget what the car rolls on! And finally you remember to look at the fuel gauge... why? Because after 10 days of nothing but driving you are no longer concerned about gas or prices or even worrying about re-fueling. Cold A/C... small; easy to change the oil by yourself, brakes,etc... cheaper to fix... and it's a Toyota. Yep, reliable (period).

Small - easy to fix; small but easy on your wallet. Reliable... lasts for years... longevity. You fall in love with a well made car. Except for the Made in China gray interior the whole car is nothing but a joy to drive. 5 speed standard.

Better interiors, put in some nice dashboard... quality has its color and it's not cheap. Gray made in China.

32 mpg since when
By boomer

2002 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Edmunds review says 32 mpg. The Echo seems to have a variable mileage with actual mileage being closer to the 32 mark in sub-zero weather. However in actual driving here in Wisconsin I consistently get 40-42 mpg. Above 50 degrees I have gotten as much as 44 mpg. lately on a vehicle with over 110,000 miles on it. Funky steering in the wind, funky looking, but very roomy inside and well-built body. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat and no I'm not selling the one I have.

I love that center speedo. I don't like looking over or through a wheel with trifocals. It's easy to get used to. This car got a lot of unfair diss on styling. It has CHARACTER! at a reasonable price!

Put Blizzaks on it in the winter.