Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Base Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Love our Echos!
By Jeff Harning

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased an Echo and I was jealous of my husband driving it, that we bought a second one six months later!!
The maneuverability is fantastic. Repairs have been minimal, just normal tires, etc. the gas mileage cannot be beat.
We are selling both of them now for a larger vehicles to carry grandchildren! We had intended to continue driving our His and Hers Echos for many years to come!

A gas saver
By Adam Wu

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Echo new. I once love it so much. It has accompanied me for almost 14 years. Even now, I have still had it in my garage. As I have aged and become financially stronger, I realized I might have made a wrong choice on buying it 14 years ago. It's too light as a vehicle. Even it costs more for car insurance. Overall, it is an okay-subcompact. As an entry-level Toyota, it's quality is good. So far, my Echo has died on me three times. I have put 155000 miles on it.

Little Red Gecko the Echo!
By Dan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My mom had this car for three years. She bought it in 2012, and i got it in december of 2015. Its a tough little car. I do wish it had some of the basic features found on other cars, like power windows. And i wish the seats were more comfortable. However, for a reliable first car i cant complain!

I Love My Car!
By sxylump

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Echo since 2004 and I absolutely love it! It is zippy and gets wonderful gas mileage. It runs great and is a trooper in the snow (and We get a lot of snow where I live too). I recently took it to the local Toyota dealer for inspection and they said everything is still in great shape. I know when it comes time to buy a new car, it will be a sad day for me to part with my Echo.

Light as a feather and a lifesaver
By Ethan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

"Wow it's zippy!" were my first words when I first drove this car. The acceleration is very responsive, the small engine was more than enough for this featherweight (just beware strong wind and rain), and it got better mileage than most hybrids. It's certainly stylish, and although the interior is lackluster, the high instrument panel to the right of the driver allowed for better eye contact with the road. For eight years, with regular oil changes and diagnostics, I never had a single problem with the car until I drove the car into another. The front crumpled, saving my life, but it crumpled far too easily and the car was totaled while the other car barely got a scratch.

Amazing mileage, great overall quality, good in a crash, roomy interior (I'm 6'3" and was extremely comfortable), and not to mention enough capacious compartments and trunk space for anything you'll need to take with you.

While its light weight allowed for great mileage and acceleration, it was easily pushed around in a storm. One minor accident totaled the car while the other car merely got a scratch. Its lightweight construction was easily dented and cracked.