Used 2002 Toyota ECHO Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

I Love My Car!
By sxylump

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Echo since 2004 and I absolutely love it! It is zippy and gets wonderful gas mileage. It runs great and is a trooper in the snow (and We get a lot of snow where I live too). I recently took it to the local Toyota dealer for inspection and they said everything is still in great shape. I know when it comes time to buy a new car, it will be a sad day for me to part with my Echo.

Light as a feather and a lifesaver
By Ethan

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

"Wow it's zippy!" were my first words when I first drove this car. The acceleration is very responsive, the small engine was more than enough for this featherweight (just beware strong wind and rain), and it got better mileage than most hybrids. It's certainly stylish, and although the interior is lackluster, the high instrument panel to the right of the driver allowed for better eye contact with the road. For eight years, with regular oil changes and diagnostics, I never had a single problem with the car until I drove the car into another. The front crumpled, saving my life, but it crumpled far too easily and the car was totaled while the other car barely got a scratch.

Favorite Features

Amazing mileage, great overall quality, good in a crash, roomy interior (I'm 6'3" and was extremely comfortable), and not to mention enough capacious compartments and trunk space for anything you'll need to take with you.

Suggested Improvements

While its light weight allowed for great mileage and acceleration, it was easily pushed around in a storm. One minor accident totaled the car while the other car merely got a scratch. Its lightweight construction was easily dented and cracked.

Best Car EVER!
By Sammi's Dad

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2002 Toyota Echo for my daughter in 2005. It had 59K miles on it then. After 5 years and another 50K miles, this car runs like new! Oil changes and a new set of tires are the only $ invested. Its bright red color & peppy drive make people ask what kind of car is that? After she graduates from college, I will buy my daughter a new car & I plan to drive this ECHO until the wheels fall off, even though I doubt it will happen. On her 1200 mile trips to college, she gets around 45 MPG. I think the ECHO may be one of the best built cars ever made. I'm hoping to get over 300,000 miles on this car. You cannot go wrong buying a Toyota Echo.

Favorite Features

MPG, peppy motor, quality interior appointments, no timing belt to change, has a timing chain that does not require changing

Suggested Improvements

none

Great around town, so-so on the road
By PetRock235

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Economical car, 30mpg avg, easily fits in tight parking spaces, pretty good around town. The ride is a little bumpy, and it's noisy at highway speed. Acceleration is OK for on ramps but a little underpowered for climbing hills.

Nice Little Car
By CharlieA

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

A lovely little vehicle. I am 6'2" tall. I sit upright in the driver's seat, with plenty of room above the top of my hat. The only negative comfort feature is the foot rest for the left foot, sized for a midget. That can be uncomfortable, particularly for long drives. I waited three months for delivery of my Echo from Japan, in order to get an Antilock Braking System (ABS); a very worthwhile choice.

Favorite Features

The center-mounted instrument cluster can be read easily through the upper, distance lens of bifocals. Great radio-CD-cassette player. 35 mpg gas mileage. Good, fast-appearing heat on cold winter days. ABS has already saved me from accidents three times in 30,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

MUST have a cruise control; that's THE major deficiency. Coolant temperature guage would be SO much better than warning lights. Power door lock switch should be mounted on door, not center console. Electrically-heated side view mirrors would be very desirable.