2002 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
I Love My Car!
By sxylump on 07/08/14 15:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Echo since 2004 and I absolutely love it! It is zippy and gets wonderful gas mileage. It runs great and is a trooper in the snow (and We get a lot of snow where I live too). I recently took it to the local Toyota dealer for inspection and they said everything is still in great shape. I know when it comes time to buy a new car, it will be a sad day for me to part with my Echo.

Gone but not forgotten
By pprodshd on 08/04/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an epitaph as our "toy car" was recently totaled while parked on the street. At 93K miles, we had done oil changes and a $150 brake job. We enjoyed 2+ years with no payment or service needs. Was a great city car and always an adventure going 70 mph with a cross wind. It had 100% more charisma than any other sub compact from then or now. She will be missed. Probably moving into a civic. BORING

Light as a feather and a lifesaver
By Ethan on 07/30/10 17:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

"Wow it's zippy!" were my first words when I first drove this car. The acceleration is very responsive, the small engine was more than enough for this featherweight (just beware strong wind and rain), and it got better mileage than most hybrids. It's certainly stylish, and although the interior is lackluster, the high instrument panel to the right of the driver allowed for better eye contact with the road. For eight years, with regular oil changes and diagnostics, I never had a single problem with the car until I drove the car into another. The front crumpled, saving my life, but it crumpled far too easily and the car was totaled while the other car barely got a scratch.

Best Car EVER!
By Sammi's Dad on 07/23/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2002 Toyota Echo for my daughter in 2005. It had 59K miles on it then. After 5 years and another 50K miles, this car runs like new! Oil changes and a new set of tires are the only $ invested. Its bright red color & peppy drive make people ask what kind of car is that? After she graduates from college, I will buy my daughter a new car & I plan to drive this ECHO until the wheels fall off, even though I doubt it will happen. On her 1200 mile trips to college, she gets around 45 MPG. I think the ECHO may be one of the best built cars ever made. I'm hoping to get over 300,000 miles on this car. You cannot go wrong buying a Toyota Echo.

Most Reliable Car Ever
By Drek4 on 04/16/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very reliable and besides normal maintenance, have hardly done any repairs on it in my four years of ownership. I`m 6`4" so it`s roomy except a little tight for the legs. This car has great fuel economy, so it`s great for trips. The car is surprisingly agile and very nervous for it`s size. I use it mainly for driving to work, trips on occasion and as my winter car.

Great around town, so-so on the road
By PetRock235 on 01/02/10 20:34 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Economical car, 30mpg avg, easily fits in tight parking spaces, pretty good around town. The ride is a little bumpy, and it's noisy at highway speed. Acceleration is OK for on ramps but a little underpowered for climbing hills.

Gets me around
By kevin on 08/29/09 02:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car until recently I had to spend $300 for a starter then 2 weeks later $1400 to repair the manual transmission. Needed bearings, ring block for 5th gear and a few other things. Mechanic said the original fluid was still in there after 140,000 miles. It should be replaced at least every 40,000 miles so I guess it was my fault. Otherwise a great car.

Best car I've ever had.
By bolvo on 08/04/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had many cars in my life... from Mercedes Benz to Volvos to Nissan and Hondas. But boy did I ever own a Toyota? Not until now. I'm 40 and I can tell you reliability and Toyota go together. This little car goes. 5 Speed Standard. 350 miles per tank!! That's driving all over Houston for 10 days non-stop to the point where you forget what the car rolls on! And finally you remember to look at the fuel gauge... why? Because after 10 days of nothing but driving you are no longer concerned about gas or prices or even worrying about re-fueling. Cold A/C... small; easy to change the oil by yourself, brakes,etc... cheaper to fix... and it's a Toyota. Yep, reliable (period).

Excellent little car
By deyzel on 06/30/09 21:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought it in 2002 it was all I could afford. Now 7 years later I do not want to drive anything else. Not a single problem and great fuel economy on top of that. Add trouble free driving in the brutal Alberta winters to the list of praise. Being handed off to my girls now and I am sure they will get another 7 years of trouble free driving.

MPG 41-47 (5 tests)
By ARY on 06/30/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

My manual 2002 4dr Echo has 175K now. I did 5 tests on mpg w/different routes and cargo load (from just one driver to 1 driver + 8 scuba tanks and a scooter). The roads are country, FL. Burned some 3/4 of a tank, read receipts for exact difference and read the odometer. None of the tests indicated lower than 40 mpg and the highest I've ever recorded was 47. For 175K replaced parts were: burned cabin fan resistor, 3 sets of tires (worn), cracked windshield (gravel), dozen w-shield wipes, oil change. Best of all - I paid it off 2 yrs ago. None of the new cars come close to the performance and "True Cost 2 Own", not even Yaris nor Honda Fit.