2001 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
edmunds review all wet
By Echo Lover on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't understand how anyone could put down a car's instrument panel that finally makes sense. You can see anything on the instrument panel clearly without looking away from the road at anytime! The car has plenty of headroom. I had 5 grown adults in the car and everyone was comfortable. Two of the adults were overweight. Getting in and out of the car is a breeze. The radio controls are within reach. Handling is great on normal days and controllable on windy days.

Have 3 at home
By Nicecars on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

all three excellent, comfy, spiffy to drive, super economic and reliable.Get 39 MPG on auto and 42 with manuals, both with rather agrresive & high speed driving.

Sometimes you go with your gut instinct!
By echooooooooooooo! on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 Echo and I concur with all of the other previews. This car purrs! I'm gonna give mine a cool look this summer ('03) I'm gonna give it a new stereo (double din video touchscreen with cd changer which will fit nicely with the Infinity Kappa Bass Link amplified sub-woofer I bought which only takes up the right side corner of the trunk. Some nice 205 "15 tires like the dude above did to his. A front mask. Tinted windows. And sime nice interior and exterior neon lighting. All in all this is one heck of a nice toy. I guess that's why they call them TOYota's because they're so much fun to play with! Peace and safe driving you guys :0)

Great commuter car
By paul a on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the Echo for 22 months. It is a great vehicle for local driving & short trips. Local gas mileage, with auto, is 30 MPG & on the road 40-42. Great visability,head room, easy to enter & exit, more height & room than my Cherokee, a huge trunk, & a surprising amount of storage space with the rear seat pulled down. Acceleration is barely adequate & cornering is poor, also high winds demand slower speeds & greater attention to the road. No problems so far after 14,000 miles.

Awesome Little Spunky Car
By kievyn on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Must have for the small budgeted individual. Has style, spirit. A great little "puudle-skipper!"

Great Car for the Bucks
By francisdelapena on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Car since October 2001. It is fun to drive, and gets great mileage for less then $12.00 for a full tank of gas. It has a smooth engine, it does not seem to have the jumpy engine when you press the gas, thanks to the VVT-i engine. It feels very durable when you drive. It does not feel like it is going to fall apart on me at all. The A/C is very good, it can get very cold very fast. The interior is very spacious with enough head space above.

One happy owner
By smartalex on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used 2000 Echo for my wife two weeks ago. It has A/C, AM/FM/Cassette, Automatic, Power steering, ABS. I am so impressed with the engineering, handling, fuel economy, ergonomics that I want to drive it all the time. Am thinking about trading my Montana for a 2003 Echo. True Toyota all the way. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone looking for economical, reliable transportation.

Echo review
By caraone on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great little car. Maneuverable, nice ride, awesome gas mileage, roomy interior.

Makes Being Thrifty Fun
By ALW on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is unbelievably roomy for its size (headroom and legroom are outstanding, even for 6-footers). The engine is smooth and responsive. The exterior styling, grows on you, and the interior design is brilliant. The amount of storage space in the interior...with its myriad, smartly designed cubby-holes...allows you to fit everything you want to take with you to have its own space. Gas efficiency is, of course, excellent. Visibility, due to the high seating position, is as good as any car I've ever driven. Even the trunk is surprisingly large. Reliability, so far, seems typical Toyota.

Echo is a great little car
By txdotbill on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The whole look of the Echo is unconventional. I have had my son note that kids his age turn to look at it as we pass. It is a car with a surprising amount of pickup, manueverability and emergency speed capabilities than I ever expected of a 4 cylinder car. While I have noted a slight handling problem in high winds but didn't expect SUV handling in a sub-compact. My tall friends have remarked how roomy the car is and the interior appointments are great. I got it loaded including a cruise control and would trade it for nothing in a comparable range. The gas mileage is great and helps the economy of my 154 mile per day commute.