2001 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
I Love this Car
By CaLaCrJo on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have read the edmunds review and have to ask what in the world were they thinking. If your comparing this car to a luxury car with all the bells and whistles I can understand why you might trash this car. But, I don't understand when compared to other like vehicles how bad things can be said. It comes across like edmunds reviewers are snobs. This is a wonderful and reliable car.

My Little Echo
By sarahjh on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

First it seemed as if I was sitting on a board..a hard wooden board. The seats needs more padding. Hate to reach over to lock the doors. No salesman offered me extra options such as automatic windows, etc !!

The Rental
By codenose on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I rented a 2002 Toyota Echo. The interior and trunk were adequate. The car was designed to make the driver focused on the controls. No way could the frail or elderly, a young teenager or the inexperianced handle the steering on this rental. While I was able to compensate for turns while in motion, those from a stop were more difficult. It took brute force to extract myself from a pararell paking position. I drove the car for approximately 30 miles. It would be wise for anyone considering purchasing this car to rent it for a day. The exterior paint had far too many dimples with rust.

Not only for young drivers
By fishinguy on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Echo after measuring the ground-to-seat height, and finding it similar to my elderly father's favorite chair, the one he could most easily use. The law of gravity aided his descent into his own car, but getting out of it was another matter. After 6 months his health and strength improved. The "master plan" was to then sell the Echo, but I'd grown very fond of it, enjoy driving it, and also appreciate the ease of access and superior side visibility for viewing scenery. The variable valve timing makes this little 1.5 liter engine seem peppy. I plan to keep my Echo forever, and I expect no problems for quite a long time.

Excellent All Around
By drdave on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 36000 miles on my Echo in under 2 years, driving it 3,000 across country and 1,600 miles every month on long distance hauls up the I-5 corridor on the West Coast. The fuel efficiency is excellent, the acceleration is among the best I have experienced and it is reliable and roomy. I wish I would have sprung for the power locks but other then that it is great.

super car
By volunteer on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a well-made car that is so very fund to drive. The high seating position makes for terrific view. You can see traffic so well in this car. It is simply fun to drive--so smooth yet peppy. I've only two minor complaints: my 2002 seems a bit noisy at highway speeds, and the wind tosses it a bit. I spend 99 percent of my driving in commutes, and nothing beats the ECHO for this.

plenty of room for a six footer..
By bts on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive few miles but i enjoy them,, owned a bug, a fiesta, a fiat(don't ask) a metro and a diesel rabbit, but this echo is the best drive yet..the MPG is 32-38 with auto. and it still needs the clock they never put in it, but the room is great and i am 6 feet and 240#. The guages look fine in the middle too.. and it's easy to park and a smooth ride.

Cheap and Reliable town commuting
By lostfido on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for two years now. It's not a bad little car overall. I'm a chronically single computer geek, so the 'embarrassment in front of potential in-laws' clause doesn't apply to me. :) I like my life. I don't have issues with the styling, so I'm not going to comment on it. When I bought this car, my objectives were to get the cheapest possible car vs. potential durability. I like to think I achieved that by getting the cheapest model from a very reputable car maker. The basic model was sufficient for me: no cd player, no side-beam air bags, and etc. Besides it's great for a fat person on a budget (like me!).

This thing is a workhorse
By tony22r on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This Echo is a little workhorse. It just goes and goes and goes! Smooth as the day I bought it. A lot roomier inside than it looks. Control placement is well thought out. Everything is just built right on the Echo!

well made car for the size and money
By Route19Drive-In on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

i have had this car 3 months now i bought it used and im very pleased with it it handels well has good pick up lots of space to store things very roomy interior i have a 2001 Echo 4dr it had 4000 miles on it when i got it it has alumin wheels am fm caseette with cd and many other options i love it and would recomend it to anybody