Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

ECHO Lover indeed
By Corey

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I currently have 149,000 miles on a 2001 model. With good tire pressure management, a clean and waxed car, and careful driving, I consistently am averaging > 47.0 mpg week in and week out during warmer weather. I'm waiting for the Endo. I know Toyota will not compromise like smart did, requiring premium fuel and only publishing 40+ mpg from a 1,600 lb car. Come on Toyota! Bring me the Endo now!

Favorite Features

The engine. Long stroke, great torque for a 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the 14" rubber. I can never keep them in balance for more than 10k at a time.

Best Small Car Ever
By Viki Benton

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had always preferred large vehicles but took a chance on a small, economical commuter vehicle. It looked so ugly at first but upon getting in it, you find that it is large inside and really comfortable! And quality for an inexpensive car. I have had mine 5 years and I love it more than any other car I have ever had; it's just the best car ever. I will drive it til it drives no more! A GREAT CAR! And it is actually a very good looking little car!! Wait till you get inside one and drive it. Exterior holds up well too.

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage, reliability, large open interior w/ better quality interior and size can't be beat. The skirt and back tail and color.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Great little car
By LARRY COLLIE

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Its been a pleasure to drive it. Itís my wifeís car and she loves it. It may not be top of the line but we have had zero problems with it. It just keeps on going with great gas mileage. She averages about 38 in town 45-50 highway - got as high as 55 mpg on one trip.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, manual trans, easy maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers

Great Car
By snook

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

You won't regret buying this car. It is very powerful when carrying only 1 or 2 passengers. However, too much weight and it starts to get substantially bogged down. The interrior is very nice and I've grown to like the center console very much. I find the seats to be very comfortable. The wind does blow the car around - especially at high speeds. This car is very light weight and is very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Great MPG and fun to drive. Front seats. Center console. Good stereo

Suggested Improvements

Bigger and better placed drink holders. Front doors sound like they're full of legos when slammed shut. Power locks and windows. Shifter is placed a little far foward for people who have the seat far back.

More room then you think
By maxx1234

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I found the 2001 echo to be a great little car to get around, at first one has to get used to driving it. Being more alert around you, not taking ones eyes off the road for too long, space inside is a real plus, head room is very good, well put together

Favorite Features

Space, dash, radio how it designed from the inside out, very smart company , quality in everything

Suggested Improvements

A bit of wind noise, 2 door model door opens way too wide prone to dinging other cars, should have a safety stop on it (windy)