2001 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
LOVE our ECHO!
By sunshinekjc on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our '01 Echo in late September of 01 & have loved it since day one! Originally, we were looking at Camrys & Accords but didn't want to fork over $25K+ for a four door sedan. We initially purchased the ECHO because of the reasonable price ($13K) & awesome mileage, but soon fell in love with the all of the storage, cool gauges & overall reliability of the car. We've owned it for 3+ years now & have not had it in the shop for anything other than an oil change! We always get lots of compliments and questions about it (mileage, cost, etc.) & recommend buying one to anyone who asks! We disagree with the Editor's review completely & think you will love your ECHO as much as we do ours!

4 years old and going strong
By OTTR B on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Almost right away used it in place of broken down Plymouth minivan for a reenactment. Were able to haul everything we had in the minivan in the Echo--more careful packing. Drove it to Alaska over the Alaska Highway and back summer of 02. 10,748 miles. Averaged 38 mpg--best was 43 worst 32 (driving in Montana with A/C on and somewhat over speed limit if there was one). Only problem whole trip was the A/C condensor line came off because of washboard road--Alaska Hiway--Yukon Ty--reconnected it dried floor & kept going. Wife used it to commute to school and work--both long commutes. Never failed her. Work is closer now so we'll see how it does for shorter commutes.

Great little car
By W'Boro on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the ECHO new for my wife to drive because Toyota has been known to make cars with very few problems and we didn't have the extra money to buy a larger car. This car has been great. We get 40 mpg on the highway, plus some diving in town. The most mileage that we have gotten is 43 mpg. I had one size wider tires put on the car to help with car waving as big trucks would pass. Also I have been using Mobil 1 oil. I would recommend this car for someone that has a lot of driving to do and needs a car they can depend on.

Gas Mileage
By miataman on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is as close to a hybrid as you get. On my first trip from Ohio to New York I filled up when I left Ohio and fueled again when I got home and got 49 miles to the gallon!! I could not believe it myself! This car is a bare bones Echo with a 5 speed, no A/C not even power steering. Needless to say I was very impressed with the mileage. The car handles well but an small car, except for strong cross winds on the highway sometimes. But I guess that is the price you pay for low weight and GREAT fuel mileage! The car is very well put together and I would recommend to anyone looking for an inexpensive but reliable car. Love my Echo!!

Overall Pleased
By RedEchoGurl on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. What attracted me to it was that no one really liked the echos look, and I wanted to be different. I LOVE my little Echo. Wish I would have gotten the 4 door model, but I was trying to save money. Love the acceleration. Love all the extra storage space.

Please don't.
By argggg on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a nighmare. I have made good friends since i bought this car; the mechanics at toyota, i am there often. I can't belevie how unreliable this car is. The build quality is lower than that in my sister's kia.

2001 TOYOTAL ECHO
By BOXER14 on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

VERY SATISFIEED. EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE APPROX 38/46 WITH STICK SHIFT. MOST COMFORTABLE RIDING VEHICLE I HAVE EVERY HAD. ONLY DRAWBACK IS ON THE INTERSTATE ON A WINDY DAY OR IF A BIG TRUCK PASSES ON THE INTERSTATE, ROCKS MY ECHO SOMEWHAT. GREAT DEAL.

red egg
By echonala on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Echo. Very reliable, easy to drive, really good sound system. The mileage per gallon is about the best I have seen out of any car. I have never had any problems with this car.

This car WORKS
By Jpoynter on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 54000 miles on the Echo in two years, and during that time the only glitches I've found were poor handling and soft paint. The poor handling was due to improper inflation of the tires causing a rearend skittering at high speeds. The steering is light and precise when the tires are properly inflated, and the handling improved greatly with a tire upgrade. So the only true complaint comes with the idea that a bug can go right through the paint. The hood needs to be sanded and painted.

I like my Echo
By Caperton on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have only three complaints: 1) lack of speed control 2) poor lighting of odometer 3) almost invisible light for headlights when on low Otherwise it is fun to drive, economical on the mileage, and surprisingly powerful, given that it is a "plain vanilla" sort of car.