6.5 years after first review
By ottrb on
2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)
We still own our 2001 echo. It now has 171,000 miles on it and no problems yet. Only repair has been the downstream O2 sensor. I replaced it myself--bought the diagnostic tool,maintenance repair manual CD and O2 sensor and came out ahead of the game. The reliability of the Echo is outstanding. After having owned American cars for over 30 years I now own two Toyotas--the Echo and an 03 Highlander. And I wonder why it took so long to see the light and get rid of the American junk. Maybe (according to Edmonds) the Echo was overpriced but after 10.5 years of reliable ownership the Echo has more than paid for itself in reliability and value.
Favorite Features
Do I need to repeat reliability? After this long my previously owned Plymouths and Chevvies would have rusted out and made the repair shops rich. It still gets great gas mileage and the center placed instrument cluster presents no problem at all even after switching from the Highlander that I normally drive. Yes it's my wife's car and believe me if she wasn't happy with it it would be gone--she's happy with it!
Suggested Improvements
Obviously the Yarus is a renamed successor to the Echo. We suspect the Echo died because of some instability problems owing to the wheelbase and height of the vehicle and probably worn tires. We replace the tires when they're worn and keep them properly inflated. Only instability we had was due to worn tires. When we finally end up replacing the Echo it will probably with a RAV 4. But we're in no hurry to do that.