2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews 5

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Not only for young drivers
By fishinguy on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Echo after measuring the ground-to-seat height, and finding it similar to my elderly father's favorite chair, the one he could most easily use. The law of gravity aided his descent into his own car, but getting out of it was another matter. After 6 months his health and strength improved. The "master plan" was to then sell the Echo, but I'd grown very fond of it, enjoy driving it, and also appreciate the ease of access and superior side visibility for viewing scenery. The variable valve timing makes this little 1.5 liter engine seem peppy. I plan to keep my Echo forever, and I expect no problems for quite a long time.

Excellent All Around
By drdave on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 36000 miles on my Echo in under 2 years, driving it 3,000 across country and 1,600 miles every month on long distance hauls up the I-5 corridor on the West Coast. The fuel efficiency is excellent, the acceleration is among the best I have experienced and it is reliable and roomy. I wish I would have sprung for the power locks but other then that it is great.

plenty of room for a six footer..
By bts on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I drive few miles but i enjoy them,, owned a bug, a fiesta, a fiat(don't ask) a metro and a diesel rabbit, but this echo is the best drive yet..the MPG is 32-38 with auto. and it still needs the clock they never put in it, but the room is great and i am 6 feet and 240#. The guages look fine in the middle too.. and it's easy to park and a smooth ride.

Cheap and Reliable town commuting
By lostfido on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for two years now. It's not a bad little car overall. I'm a chronically single computer geek, so the 'embarrassment in front of potential in-laws' clause doesn't apply to me. :) I like my life. I don't have issues with the styling, so I'm not going to comment on it. When I bought this car, my objectives were to get the cheapest possible car vs. potential durability. I like to think I achieved that by getting the cheapest model from a very reputable car maker. The basic model was sufficient for me: no cd player, no side-beam air bags, and etc. Besides it's great for a fat person on a budget (like me!).

This thing is a workhorse
By tony22r on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This Echo is a little workhorse. It just goes and goes and goes! Smooth as the day I bought it. A lot roomier inside than it looks. Control placement is well thought out. Everything is just built right on the Echo!

well made car for the size and money
By Route19Drive-In on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

i have had this car 3 months now i bought it used and im very pleased with it it handels well has good pick up lots of space to store things very roomy interior i have a 2001 Echo 4dr it had 4000 miles on it when i got it it has alumin wheels am fm caseette with cd and many other options i love it and would recomend it to anybody

edmunds review all wet
By Echo Lover on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I don't understand how anyone could put down a car's instrument panel that finally makes sense. You can see anything on the instrument panel clearly without looking away from the road at anytime! The car has plenty of headroom. I had 5 grown adults in the car and everyone was comfortable. Two of the adults were overweight. Getting in and out of the car is a breeze. The radio controls are within reach. Handling is great on normal days and controllable on windy days.

Great commuter car
By paul a on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the Echo for 22 months. It is a great vehicle for local driving & short trips. Local gas mileage, with auto, is 30 MPG & on the road 40-42. Great visability,head room, easy to enter & exit, more height & room than my Cherokee, a huge trunk, & a surprising amount of storage space with the rear seat pulled down. Acceleration is barely adequate & cornering is poor, also high winds demand slower speeds & greater attention to the road. No problems so far after 14,000 miles.

One happy owner
By smartalex on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used 2000 Echo for my wife two weeks ago. It has A/C, AM/FM/Cassette, Automatic, Power steering, ABS. I am so impressed with the engineering, handling, fuel economy, ergonomics that I want to drive it all the time. Am thinking about trading my Montana for a 2003 Echo. True Toyota all the way. I highly recommend this vehicle for anyone looking for economical, reliable transportation.

Echo review
By caraone on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great little car. Maneuverable, nice ride, awesome gas mileage, roomy interior.