Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

ECHO Lover indeed
By Corey

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I currently have 149,000 miles on a 2001 model. With good tire pressure management, a clean and waxed car, and careful driving, I consistently am averaging > 47.0 mpg week in and week out during warmer weather. I'm waiting for the Endo. I know Toyota will not compromise like smart did, requiring premium fuel and only publishing 40+ mpg from a 1,600 lb car. Come on Toyota! Bring me the Endo now!

Favorite Features

The engine. Long stroke, great torque for a 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the 14" rubber. I can never keep them in balance for more than 10k at a time.

Best Small Car Ever
By Viki Benton

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had always preferred large vehicles but took a chance on a small, economical commuter vehicle. It looked so ugly at first but upon getting in it, you find that it is large inside and really comfortable! And quality for an inexpensive car. I have had mine 5 years and I love it more than any other car I have ever had; it's just the best car ever. I will drive it til it drives no more! A GREAT CAR! And it is actually a very good looking little car!! Wait till you get inside one and drive it. Exterior holds up well too.

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage, reliability, large open interior w/ better quality interior and size can't be beat. The skirt and back tail and color.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Cute as a Button!
By sarah

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Roxy Echo for over 6 months, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I have a 4 door with all the optional features, and despite what this review says about the cost versus what you get, I think this is one of the most fun to drive cars on the market! A lot of people cannot get past the look of the echo, but I don't understand why. Even though its about the gas mileage, I love the look! Then again, I'm an eclectic kind of person who wants to drive something unusual and still hip. I also have to say that it's easy to get into-it's taller to provide more room-and that really helps because i'm not short! I was looking for an SUV, but fell in love with this echo!

Favorite Features

Roxy Seat Covers (w/ roxy edition) - so easy to clean (they're wetsuit material!) The CUBBIES! So much storage for such a little car. My favorite is probably the compartment above the glove compartment!

Suggested Improvements

Power windows. Technology has gotten better--hello, microchips--and i'm sure there's a way to work that into the doors.

Saving money and time
By L C McClure

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has served my transportation needs admirably, since the first day of ownership! Maintenance and performance records have fulfilled my ideals of auto ownership frugality - in time saved and money well spent. This car has proven itself to be an adequate replacement for the Chevy Geo, which is no longer produced. I expect it to "run" for a full one hundred thousand miles + !

Favorite Features

Easy to clean, park, and maintain.

Suggested Improvements

After almost 5 years of ownership, I have no suggestions for improvements.

Love my 2001 4 door Echo
By Dave M

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased, added, this car used in August 2005. I have an Avalon so I wanted to stay with the Toyota reliability. After researching I found that owners love their Echos! I bought because of the mileage and have not been disappointed. Lowest so far is 33mpg and straight highway I've got between 45mpg and 49mpg. It handles very smooth on the road and on long trips it has been comfortable. Obviously not as comfy as my Avalon but still ok. My wife and kids all love the car and I get compliments on it all the time. It does not feel like a typical small car on the inside. I save everytime I go to the pump. I rate buying this car as one of the smarter things I have done in a long time.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, roomy feeling interior, smooth ride, sits higher on the road so you don't feel like you're in a small car, easy to park in tight spaces, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Put a little better quality into things like the sun-visors and add a center arm rest, little better speakers would be nice.