2001 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Best purchase I ever made!
By Rod on 10/26/05 23:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 80,000 miles on my Echo. It has run perfectly since the 1st day. If I keep it under 65 mph on freeway I get over 40 MPG. It cost less than $13,000 "out the door". It will take hybrid buyers a long time to make up the difference in purchase price. It accelerates great, handles great! It is a little noisey on the freeway and the shifting is a little rough sometimes but I can put up with that considering I can go over 400 miles on 10 gallons of gas.

good car
By bryan p on 09/23/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2001, and it has not let me down yet. Gas mileage is off the charts. That is great now with these soaring gas prices. I would get this Echo if your looking for reliable car with great gas mileage

Excellent Value and Safe
By MSmith on 08/16/05 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 4-door, Auto. Trans. Toyota Echo twice. 2 weeks apart. The 1st Echo was destroyed by an idiot that smashed into me while he was trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic. The front end of my Echo was completely crumpled, both airbags deployed, and the car was completely totaled. I was so impressed by this car's ability to protect me and my boy (he was completely unharmed, and I only suffered seat belt abrasions), I imm. bought another one to replace it. It has been 4 years now, 96k miles, and I have had only two minor probs: the CD player got fried the 1st year for unknown reasons and the gear shift light doesn't always light up. Also: I avg. 36 mpg despite my jack-rabbit starts.

My Favorite Car Ever!
By Clark on 07/29/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car by accident, while waiting for a Nissan 350Z to arrive at the dealer. After driving it for a week, I canceled the order on the Nissan and saved $26,000. This is a reliable, efficient and great looking design. I dread the day it no longer runs.

Ignore bad press - The best value!
By Jan on 05/13/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a delight to drive and own. Interior and storage room are far greater than much larger cars (including my Camry) and far more thoughtfully designed. The instrumentation took a second to get used to, but now I resent conventional look- through-the-steering-wheel displays. This is more natural and allows you to continue surveying the road. Super fuel efficient and surprisingly safe -. My Echo handled a bad side collision (I was plowed into) like a trouper. Not a hair was mussed. I thought the handling was nimble and responsive. It's a 1.5 liter and takes a moment to get up to speed, but I don't gun it from a stop anyway.

I Love my ECHO
By ECHO Lover on 03/17/05 17:30 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the ECHO because of it's reputed gas mileage and I have not been disappointed. I average 38 miles to the gallon in town, and over 40 on the highways/freeways. I love the instrument panel and was surprised at first at how roomy the car was. When I moved last year I got all of my belongings minus my furniture in the car! My boyfriend, who has a penchant for cars, looked disappointed when I drove home in it the first time - but digs it now for it's handling and wants to get it out on the racetrack!

Reliable gas saver
By John B. on 03/17/05 12:50 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car if you enjoy filling up your car with gas knowing it will last a lot longer than that MEGA size SUV next to you. This is an extremly reliable little car with a fairly roomy interior and decent trunk space.

GREAT little car
By A. Miller on 01/09/05 20:40 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 2 years and have had no trouble whatsoever. I think the write up by Edmunds is completely off track, and I think this is the best car money can buy. It has a spacious trunk, plenty of room for 2 adults and 3 kids. It has plenty of pep but still gets 40 mpg. No cruise control on mine was a mistake, and power windows would be nice.

Great little car!
By busymom7 on 11/11/04 17:05 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This incredible little car is fun to drive and gets awesome gas mileage, even in town. My fifteen year old keeps bugging me about driving it and THINKS she will get to drive it when she gets her license - but there's no way she will get it away from MOM! The interior headroom is surprising. My six foot four husband fits without brushing his hair on the roof, much less his head! Love the pep, love the zip. Great little car!

Echo rebukes OPEC
By amosgirl on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my fine Camry for this awesome best- kept-secret blessing of a car! I have nothing but praise for its Lexus-based engine that electronically discerns how much fuel is necessary for moment-by-moment driving conditions. No profit margin in it so advertising is sparse; dealers will not mention it, nor have many in stock. I encourage you to pursue checking it out. Much better value than a Civic or even a Corolla. The interior is so roomy it seems to be an illusion. Great interior cubby places for storage. Brilliant!