Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Good but could have been great
By what could have been

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in may 2005 with 24,940 miles on it. It now has 34,600 miles on it. Had to fix a/c all new o-rings + recharge Freon for $150.00. Just fixed tie rod end link bushing-left front side $75.00. I avg 27 mpgs in winter short trip cold motor. The 1 long highway trip I took (150 miles round trip) I got 40.5 mpgs with the auto trans + a little a/c usage. Since I owned it I am averageing 32.5 mpgs. I had 195/60 14 tires put on but they had high rolling resistance. I didnt know this at the time I got them so I lost about 3 mpgs. I save every gas reciept. This car needs a more powerfull a/c system it only holds 17 oz of Freon crosswinds are hell in this thing on the highway. City driving is ok.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Ease of entry-exit seat height. Cassette with cd player nice.

Suggested Improvements

This car could have been great if Toyota would have done the following: 1- put 195/60 15 tires with low rolling resistance on it 2- lowered the roofline 4 inches 3- a 2door hatchback model 4-more powerfull a/c system. 5- put in 4 gauge pkg from 03-06 corolla in front of the driver

Great Car - No Major Repairs
By Angela

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 8 years and the only things I have had to do is oil changes and new tires. Nothing else has needed to be repaired! It also gets great gas mileage. Best car in the world!

Favorite Features

Excellent Gas Mileage, Low Maintenance Cost

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control would be nice.

Why did they stop making this?
By achfc

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the best car I owned. I have 160,000 miles and have NEVER had a single problem. I did not need brakes until 135,000. There is no rust anywhere, and I'd drive it anywhere! This car has better leg and head room than most any other car I've sat in. Fun to drive and great mileage (>40 hwy). Great stereo too! Why did they stop making this?

Favorite Features

Lots of storage area. Headroom. Stereo. GREAT gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Don't stop making this!! Other suggestion would have been to have the 5th gear be a more true overdrive, and have the rpms down under 2,000 at 65 mph.

Absolutely Nothing to Complain About
By ccgecko

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for approx. 9 years and am very pleased with the gas mileage, appearance, and performance.

Favorite Features

Quirky appearance and dashboard design.

Great little car
By Chopper

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With gas prices close to $4 per gallon, I had to step down from my Yukon XL and wanted the most economical car I could find without going hybrid. I didn't know what an Echo was, but in my research, this car continued to show up with top ratings and top MPG. I have had the car several months and several thousand miles and the reviews were right. Gas mileage 36-38 combined driving, with interstate driving at 70 mph. I am very pleased with the car and would consider another. Better performance than a 2000 Ford Focus I also own. It is amazing what that 1.5 L engine can do with this car. I plan to keep this one for a long time.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, good interior room, top reliability, simplicity of design, easy entry and exit, don't feel like you are sitting on the ground, surprising performance considering the engine size.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat could be more comfortable, especially for long trips. Need some type of right side arm rest for the driver. Front windows do not go all the way down into the door. I wish my car had auto door locks, cruise control, ABS and side air bags.