2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
ECHO Lover indeed
By Corey on 06/06/07 17:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I currently have 149,000 miles on a 2001 model. With good tire pressure management, a clean and waxed car, and careful driving, I consistently am averaging > 47.0 mpg week in and week out during warmer weather. I'm waiting for the Endo. I know Toyota will not compromise like smart did, requiring premium fuel and only publishing 40+ mpg from a 1,600 lb car. Come on Toyota! Bring me the Endo now!

Best Small Car Ever
By Viki Benton on 02/01/07 13:18 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had always preferred large vehicles but took a chance on a small, economical commuter vehicle. It looked so ugly at first but upon getting in it, you find that it is large inside and really comfortable! And quality for an inexpensive car. I have had mine 5 years and I love it more than any other car I have ever had; it's just the best car ever. I will drive it til it drives no more! A GREAT CAR! And it is actually a very good looking little car!! Wait till you get inside one and drive it. Exterior holds up well too.

Cute as a Button!
By sarah on 02/07/06 20:50 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Roxy Echo for over 6 months, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I have a 4 door with all the optional features, and despite what this review says about the cost versus what you get, I think this is one of the most fun to drive cars on the market! A lot of people cannot get past the look of the echo, but I don't understand why. Even though its about the gas mileage, I love the look! Then again, I'm an eclectic kind of person who wants to drive something unusual and still hip. I also have to say that it's easy to get into-it's taller to provide more room-and that really helps because i'm not short! I was looking for an SUV, but fell in love with this echo!

Saving money and time
By L C McClure on 12/24/05 10:02 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has served my transportation needs admirably, since the first day of ownership! Maintenance and performance records have fulfilled my ideals of auto ownership frugality - in time saved and money well spent. This car has proven itself to be an adequate replacement for the Chevy Geo, which is no longer produced. I expect it to "run" for a full one hundred thousand miles + !

Love my 2001 4 door Echo
By Dave M on 11/25/05 15:49 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased, added, this car used in August 2005. I have an Avalon so I wanted to stay with the Toyota reliability. After researching I found that owners love their Echos! I bought because of the mileage and have not been disappointed. Lowest so far is 33mpg and straight highway I've got between 45mpg and 49mpg. It handles very smooth on the road and on long trips it has been comfortable. Obviously not as comfy as my Avalon but still ok. My wife and kids all love the car and I get compliments on it all the time. It does not feel like a typical small car on the inside. I save everytime I go to the pump. I rate buying this car as one of the smarter things I have done in a long time.

Best purchase I ever made!
By Rod on 10/26/05 23:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 80,000 miles on my Echo. It has run perfectly since the 1st day. If I keep it under 65 mph on freeway I get over 40 MPG. It cost less than $13,000 "out the door". It will take hybrid buyers a long time to make up the difference in purchase price. It accelerates great, handles great! It is a little noisey on the freeway and the shifting is a little rough sometimes but I can put up with that considering I can go over 400 miles on 10 gallons of gas.

good car
By bryan p on 09/23/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2001, and it has not let me down yet. Gas mileage is off the charts. That is great now with these soaring gas prices. I would get this Echo if your looking for reliable car with great gas mileage

Excellent Value and Safe
By MSmith on 08/16/05 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 4-door, Auto. Trans. Toyota Echo twice. 2 weeks apart. The 1st Echo was destroyed by an idiot that smashed into me while he was trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic. The front end of my Echo was completely crumpled, both airbags deployed, and the car was completely totaled. I was so impressed by this car's ability to protect me and my boy (he was completely unharmed, and I only suffered seat belt abrasions), I imm. bought another one to replace it. It has been 4 years now, 96k miles, and I have had only two minor probs: the CD player got fried the 1st year for unknown reasons and the gear shift light doesn't always light up. Also: I avg. 36 mpg despite my jack-rabbit starts.

My Favorite Car Ever!
By Clark on 07/29/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car by accident, while waiting for a Nissan 350Z to arrive at the dealer. After driving it for a week, I canceled the order on the Nissan and saved $26,000. This is a reliable, efficient and great looking design. I dread the day it no longer runs.

Ignore bad press - The best value!
By Jan on 05/13/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a delight to drive and own. Interior and storage room are far greater than much larger cars (including my Camry) and far more thoughtfully designed. The instrumentation took a second to get used to, but now I resent conventional look- through-the-steering-wheel displays. This is more natural and allows you to continue surveying the road. Super fuel efficient and surprisingly safe -. My Echo handled a bad side collision (I was plowed into) like a trouper. Not a hair was mussed. I thought the handling was nimble and responsive. It's a 1.5 liter and takes a moment to get up to speed, but I don't gun it from a stop anyway.