Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Great Car - No Major Repairs
By Angela

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 8 years and the only things I have had to do is oil changes and new tires. Nothing else has needed to be repaired! It also gets great gas mileage. Best car in the world!

Excellent Gas Mileage, Low Maintenance Cost

Cruise control would be nice.

Why did they stop making this?
By achfc

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the best car I owned. I have 160,000 miles and have NEVER had a single problem. I did not need brakes until 135,000. There is no rust anywhere, and I'd drive it anywhere! This car has better leg and head room than most any other car I've sat in. Fun to drive and great mileage (>40 hwy). Great stereo too! Why did they stop making this?

Lots of storage area. Headroom. Stereo. GREAT gas mileage.

Don't stop making this!! Other suggestion would have been to have the 5th gear be a more true overdrive, and have the rpms down under 2,000 at 65 mph.

Absolutely Nothing to Complain About
By ccgecko

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for approx. 9 years and am very pleased with the gas mileage, appearance, and performance.

Quirky appearance and dashboard design.

Great little car
By Chopper

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With gas prices close to $4 per gallon, I had to step down from my Yukon XL and wanted the most economical car I could find without going hybrid. I didn't know what an Echo was, but in my research, this car continued to show up with top ratings and top MPG. I have had the car several months and several thousand miles and the reviews were right. Gas mileage 36-38 combined driving, with interstate driving at 70 mph. I am very pleased with the car and would consider another. Better performance than a 2000 Ford Focus I also own. It is amazing what that 1.5 L engine can do with this car. I plan to keep this one for a long time.

Excellent gas mileage, good interior room, top reliability, simplicity of design, easy entry and exit, don't feel like you are sitting on the ground, surprising performance considering the engine size.

Driver seat could be more comfortable, especially for long trips. Need some type of right side arm rest for the driver. Front windows do not go all the way down into the door. I wish my car had auto door locks, cruise control, ABS and side air bags.

2001 Echo - One of the Best Cars to Own
By Dave K

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2001 Echo sedan has been one of the best cars we've ever owned. Remember, it's not a Cadillac! It's great on gas, fun, and easy to drive, and very reliable. Seats 4 very comfortably. Our 19 yr old daughter now has 108K miles on it. Typical maintenance is all we've seen (fluids, tires, brakes (just replaced at 70+K miles). Good quality overall, and reliable!

Gas mileage! Averages 35+.

Need cruise control and better A/C. Car works hard to stay cool.