2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
exemplery reliability with super economy
By dngrfld on 05/15/10 21:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have driven 19,000 miles per year for 8 years. Got 49 mpg average when I got it, get 47 now, 20% city miles. On freeway I drive 60-70 mph. With a good load such as full of camping gear and suitcases for 2 week holiday, it hugs highway at 75 mph. Excellent emergency stopping at high speeds. Just this week, first thing broke in the interior of car, one sun visor is floppy now. One wheel bearing replaced 6 months ago. Other than that just brakes, rotors and oil changes. Super low maintenance. Just did a total detailing inside and out and am amazed at how good it looks. Quality of interior parts very good. Easy to squeeze into tiny parking spots. I am 60 years old, most reliable car I have owned

2001 Toyota Echo
By Perfect student car on 02/17/10 18:02 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the first day I got this car, I am satisfied. It is a perfect car for students because it is excellent on gas and very reliable. Though I do recommend the automatic for first time drivers. Throughly, it's a car you get addicted to.

Best Car I've Owned
By John L on 10/09/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2001 and almost 9 years and 93K miles later it is still running perfectly. Zero problems. Routine oil and filter changes, new tires and new brake pads are all it's had. Don't expect a sports car or a luxury car. We bought it for high quality, reliable low-cost basic transportation and it has delivered and then some. Wonderful little car.

Love the Echo
By CAT on 08/05/09 04:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 5 speed stick shift, Indigo Ink Blue Echo, new. New it got 45 mpg/highway -- down to about 39 mpg/highway with 165,000 on it. The first tires lasted 65,000 miles. The battery lasted 7 years. Did the first tune-up at 145,000 miles just because it had never had one, NOT because it was running badly. Faithfully change the full synthetic oil & filter every 3000 miles, other filters as recommended. Loved this one so much, now own two (bought a 2005 Echo to replace a 1995 mini van).

Good but could have been great
By what could have been on 06/18/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in may 2005 with 24,940 miles on it. It now has 34,600 miles on it. Had to fix a/c all new o-rings + recharge Freon for $150.00. Just fixed tie rod end link bushing-left front side $75.00. I avg 27 mpgs in winter short trip cold motor. The 1 long highway trip I took (150 miles round trip) I got 40.5 mpgs with the auto trans + a little a/c usage. Since I owned it I am averageing 32.5 mpgs. I had 195/60 14 tires put on but they had high rolling resistance. I didnt know this at the time I got them so I lost about 3 mpgs. I save every gas reciept. This car needs a more powerfull a/c system it only holds 17 oz of Freon crosswinds are hell in this thing on the highway. City driving is ok.

Great Car - No Major Repairs
By Angela on 06/09/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 8 years and the only things I have had to do is oil changes and new tires. Nothing else has needed to be repaired! It also gets great gas mileage. Best car in the world!

Why did they stop making this?
By achfc on 05/26/09 16:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the best car I owned. I have 160,000 miles and have NEVER had a single problem. I did not need brakes until 135,000. There is no rust anywhere, and I'd drive it anywhere! This car has better leg and head room than most any other car I've sat in. Fun to drive and great mileage (>40 hwy). Great stereo too! Why did they stop making this?

Absolutely Nothing to Complain About
By ccgecko on 04/15/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for approx. 9 years and am very pleased with the gas mileage, appearance, and performance.

Great little car
By Chopper on 11/17/08 21:59 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With gas prices close to $4 per gallon, I had to step down from my Yukon XL and wanted the most economical car I could find without going hybrid. I didn't know what an Echo was, but in my research, this car continued to show up with top ratings and top MPG. I have had the car several months and several thousand miles and the reviews were right. Gas mileage 36-38 combined driving, with interstate driving at 70 mph. I am very pleased with the car and would consider another. Better performance than a 2000 Ford Focus I also own. It is amazing what that 1.5 L engine can do with this car. I plan to keep this one for a long time.

2001 Echo - One of the Best Cars to Own
By Dave K on 07/30/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2001 Echo sedan has been one of the best cars we've ever owned. Remember, it's not a Cadillac! It's great on gas, fun, and easy to drive, and very reliable. Seats 4 very comfortably. Our 19 yr old daughter now has 108K miles on it. Typical maintenance is all we've seen (fluids, tires, brakes (just replaced at 70+K miles). Good quality overall, and reliable!