2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
This car is a Trooper
By josh_reeves on 11/12/13 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only good things to say about this car. Excellent mileage; EPA estimates are LOW. I get 35 mpg easily. Small, but the interior is bigger than it looks. Cost only 11K brand new. Speedometer is in the middle, back windows roll all the way down (yea, that's right). I have 190K hard miles on mine, through some rough times, and its still going strong - an absolute trooper.

solid toyota product
By jztoronto on 02/08/12 18:46 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i dont agree with the edmunds review this car is a tank, 170k and NO MAJOR REPAIRS just change the oil. typical toyota best maker in the world for the money. the interior has as much space as more exp corrola. not bad in the snow with snow tires. terrific mileage and the trunk is as big as a camrys trunk. styling is def different and not for all but the build quality is solid engine and tranny is typical toyota. if u had 170 km on an audi for example you are 12k in repairs lol. the reviews knock the appearance but ill guarantee that the build quality is solid. def not for a single guy but if you buy this you are ok for repairs

My Fairy Mobile
By jaesi on 01/07/12 23:55 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my echo! I got it when I was 16 and 10 years later I'm still driving it. 100,000 Miles and never had a major problem

I LOVE this car.
By ebadams on 04/16/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in '05 with about 60,000 miles on it. It now has almost 200,000 on it and is still going strong. It has had no major repairs, save a new switch for the headlights. In fact, the biggest repairs I've had to do (replacing 2 doors) were from accidents; perhaps people have difficulty seeing the car because it is on the small side. However, I get great gas mileage; sometimes close to 40 mpg (highway)! When I do need to replace this car, I will most definitely go with the Yaris.

6.5 years after first review
By ottrb on 03/13/11 07:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We still own our 2001 echo. It now has 171,000 miles on it and no problems yet. Only repair has been the downstream O2 sensor. I replaced it myself--bought the diagnostic tool,maintenance repair manual CD and O2 sensor and came out ahead of the game. The reliability of the Echo is outstanding. After having owned American cars for over 30 years I now own two Toyotas--the Echo and an 03 Highlander. And I wonder why it took so long to see the light and get rid of the American junk. Maybe (according to Edmonds) the Echo was overpriced but after 10.5 years of reliable ownership the Echo has more than paid for itself in reliability and value.

exemplery reliability with super economy
By dngrfld on 05/15/10 21:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have driven 19,000 miles per year for 8 years. Got 49 mpg average when I got it, get 47 now, 20% city miles. On freeway I drive 60-70 mph. With a good load such as full of camping gear and suitcases for 2 week holiday, it hugs highway at 75 mph. Excellent emergency stopping at high speeds. Just this week, first thing broke in the interior of car, one sun visor is floppy now. One wheel bearing replaced 6 months ago. Other than that just brakes, rotors and oil changes. Super low maintenance. Just did a total detailing inside and out and am amazed at how good it looks. Quality of interior parts very good. Easy to squeeze into tiny parking spots. I am 60 years old, most reliable car I have owned

2001 Toyota Echo
By Perfect student car on 02/17/10 18:02 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the first day I got this car, I am satisfied. It is a perfect car for students because it is excellent on gas and very reliable. Though I do recommend the automatic for first time drivers. Throughly, it's a car you get addicted to.

Best Car I've Owned
By John L on 10/09/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2001 and almost 9 years and 93K miles later it is still running perfectly. Zero problems. Routine oil and filter changes, new tires and new brake pads are all it's had. Don't expect a sports car or a luxury car. We bought it for high quality, reliable low-cost basic transportation and it has delivered and then some. Wonderful little car.

Love the Echo
By CAT on 08/05/09 04:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 5 speed stick shift, Indigo Ink Blue Echo, new. New it got 45 mpg/highway -- down to about 39 mpg/highway with 165,000 on it. The first tires lasted 65,000 miles. The battery lasted 7 years. Did the first tune-up at 145,000 miles just because it had never had one, NOT because it was running badly. Faithfully change the full synthetic oil & filter every 3000 miles, other filters as recommended. Loved this one so much, now own two (bought a 2005 Echo to replace a 1995 mini van).

Good but could have been great
By what could have been on 06/18/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in may 2005 with 24,940 miles on it. It now has 34,600 miles on it. Had to fix a/c all new o-rings + recharge Freon for $150.00. Just fixed tie rod end link bushing-left front side $75.00. I avg 27 mpgs in winter short trip cold motor. The 1 long highway trip I took (150 miles round trip) I got 40.5 mpgs with the auto trans + a little a/c usage. Since I owned it I am averageing 32.5 mpgs. I had 195/60 14 tires put on but they had high rolling resistance. I didnt know this at the time I got them so I lost about 3 mpgs. I save every gas reciept. This car needs a more powerfull a/c system it only holds 17 oz of Freon crosswinds are hell in this thing on the highway. City driving is ok.