Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

This car is a Trooper
By josh_reeves

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only good things to say about this car. Excellent mileage; EPA estimates are LOW. I get 35 mpg easily. Small, but the interior is bigger than it looks. Cost only 11K brand new. Speedometer is in the middle, back windows roll all the way down (yea, that's right). I have 190K hard miles on mine, through some rough times, and its still going strong - an absolute trooper.

solid toyota product
By jztoronto

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i dont agree with the edmunds review this car is a tank, 170k and NO MAJOR REPAIRS just change the oil. typical toyota best maker in the world for the money. the interior has as much space as more exp corrola. not bad in the snow with snow tires. terrific mileage and the trunk is as big as a camrys trunk. styling is def different and not for all but the build quality is solid engine and tranny is typical toyota. if u had 170 km on an audi for example you are 12k in repairs lol. the reviews knock the appearance but ill guarantee that the build quality is solid. def not for a single guy but if you buy this you are ok for repairs

mileage and space

aerodynamics not suited for highway driving

My Fairy Mobile
By jaesi

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my echo! I got it when I was 16 and 10 years later I'm still driving it. 100,000 Miles and never had a major problem

The small size is great to park ANYWHERE!

So after about 9 1/2 years the stereo is shot. Lost the tape deck around year 7 (which i only used to connect my Ipod) and now the stero screen is always acting funny.

I LOVE this car.
By ebadams

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in '05 with about 60,000 miles on it. It now has almost 200,000 on it and is still going strong. It has had no major repairs, save a new switch for the headlights. In fact, the biggest repairs I've had to do (replacing 2 doors) were from accidents; perhaps people have difficulty seeing the car because it is on the small side. However, I get great gas mileage; sometimes close to 40 mpg (highway)! When I do need to replace this car, I will most definitely go with the Yaris.

Center placement of the gas gauge and speedometer. I love that I don't have to look through the steering wheel to check my speed. Great gas mileage with a small tank!

Could be a bit larger, not enough leg room.

6.5 years after first review
By ottrb

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

We still own our 2001 echo. It now has 171,000 miles on it and no problems yet. Only repair has been the downstream O2 sensor. I replaced it myself--bought the diagnostic tool,maintenance repair manual CD and O2 sensor and came out ahead of the game. The reliability of the Echo is outstanding. After having owned American cars for over 30 years I now own two Toyotas--the Echo and an 03 Highlander. And I wonder why it took so long to see the light and get rid of the American junk. Maybe (according to Edmonds) the Echo was overpriced but after 10.5 years of reliable ownership the Echo has more than paid for itself in reliability and value.

Do I need to repeat reliability? After this long my previously owned Plymouths and Chevvies would have rusted out and made the repair shops rich. It still gets great gas mileage and the center placed instrument cluster presents no problem at all even after switching from the Highlander that I normally drive. Yes it's my wife's car and believe me if she wasn't happy with it it would be gone--she's happy with it!

Obviously the Yarus is a renamed successor to the Echo. We suspect the Echo died because of some instability problems owing to the wheelbase and height of the vehicle and probably worn tires. We replace the tires when they're worn and keep them properly inflated. Only instability we had was due to worn tires. When we finally end up replacing the Echo it will probably with a RAV 4. But we're in no hurry to do that.