2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Best value around.
By mikebean on 05/03/12 16:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in my family since it was purchased for ~$10k in 2001. There is currently 130k miles on it. I'm still averaging around 40mpg in the summer and 36mpg in the winter. Crazy that this car is still worth something in the neighborhood of $3-3.5k private party. You can't ask for more than that. If it weren't for the need to fit two car seats (2nd child on the way), I would never give this car up. It's just too good of a value. I should also mention that it's very fun to drive. Work performed: computer failed at about 90k ($1100), bushings replaced (120k), engine coil replaced (120k), catalytic converter needs to be replaced along with the exhaust (MN winters = rust + holes)

Great for me
By donwayne on 07/07/11 15:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in Feb. 2001 with the sticker telling me that my MPG would be 38/43. I have been lucky to have had company cars, so I now have barely 69K miles on the engine. I now have been using my car more for work, driving in town, and out of town. Besides oil changes and new tires, I have not had to have any other work done on my car. I calculated a month ago that I was getting 38 MPG, so I am very happy with this car. I just hate they do not make it anymore. The big space is so unexpected for such a small car.

Best buy for gas milage
By longhaulbill on 04/23/11 17:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you can find a used one, buy it! After driving my PT Cruiser back and forth to work (100 miles r/t), I was getting exhausted for money. I was averaging 22 MPG on the highway. My friend has a 2001 ECHO and told me with 236K miles on it, he was averaging 44 miles per gallon. So I wen shopping, found one with 92K for 4200.00. I am averaging 47.4 miles per gallon. It is a 5 speed and has air and power steering. It is not a hybrid, gut a little gas sipper. I love this car and with gas at $ 4.30 per gallon, this is a dream. Fun to drive as well.

Ugly but practical, and economical
By autooracle on 04/18/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Uglier than a Pontiac Aztec. But reliable, economical and fun to drive. The best use of space from any manufacturer of any small car.

2nd best car I ever owned
By granny on 08/22/07 12:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was employed with the Department of Childrens Services and had to drive a lot of miles. This car has never let me down and has never even had to have another battery.

Zippy and reliable
By Bladw on 08/11/07 15:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Roomy as can be. You have to see how much interior room there really is. 40-46 MPG all the time. No A/C from the factory is bad, but is tolerable while driving. $1300 to install air is too expensive after the fact. Top reliable car rating. Lower the rear 1" and add a strut tower brace and the handling improves dramatically. Parts might be expensive because it's an import, but this car will probably never need any. No service needed until 250,000 miles for the timing chain replacement! Outstanding. If it had A/C i would enjoy it better. These cars are hard to find because everyone keeps theirs. 40+ MPG is addictive .

Stylish economy car
By People's car on 07/08/07 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was lucky enough to find a used coupe with a five speed, I was reluctant about that, but I love it and no power anything, less to break. This is as close to a poor man's sports car as you can get and given the prohibitive price of cars, and its excellent mpg it's a gem and a lot of fun to drive. Also unconventional looking with a hi-tech interior design and an amazing amount of space inside. I've added a sunroof and cruise control so I have a poor mans convertible and an additional comfort feature. Parked next to a conventional sedan, let's say a Camry, I'm amazed at how big the Echo looks. Its a shame this car didn't make it, Corollas don't come in two doors and they are so boring looking.

Great little car
By LARRY COLLIE on 07/28/06 20:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Its been a pleasure to drive it. Itís my wifeís car and she loves it. It may not be top of the line but we have had zero problems with it. It just keeps on going with great gas mileage. She averages about 38 in town 45-50 highway - got as high as 55 mpg on one trip.

Great Car
By snook on 07/27/06 01:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

You won't regret buying this car. It is very powerful when carrying only 1 or 2 passengers. However, too much weight and it starts to get substantially bogged down. The interrior is very nice and I've grown to like the center console very much. I find the seats to be very comfortable. The wind does blow the car around - especially at high speeds. This car is very light weight and is very fun to drive.

More room then you think
By maxx1234 on 04/30/06 08:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I found the 2001 echo to be a great little car to get around, at first one has to get used to driving it. Being more alert around you, not taking ones eyes off the road for too long, space inside is a real plus, head room is very good, well put together