Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Best value around.
By mikebean

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in my family since it was purchased for ~$10k in 2001. There is currently 130k miles on it. I'm still averaging around 40mpg in the summer and 36mpg in the winter. Crazy that this car is still worth something in the neighborhood of $3-3.5k private party. You can't ask for more than that. If it weren't for the need to fit two car seats (2nd child on the way), I would never give this car up. It's just too good of a value. I should also mention that it's very fun to drive. Work performed: computer failed at about 90k ($1100), bushings replaced (120k), engine coil replaced (120k), catalytic converter needs to be replaced along with the exhaust (MN winters = rust + holes)

Favorite Features

Saving money never gets old - gas mileage = win. Why is it so hard to find a small car over 10 years later that gets the same gas mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Ugly as sin but gets the job done.

Great for me
By donwayne

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in Feb. 2001 with the sticker telling me that my MPG would be 38/43. I have been lucky to have had company cars, so I now have barely 69K miles on the engine. I now have been using my car more for work, driving in town, and out of town. Besides oil changes and new tires, I have not had to have any other work done on my car. I calculated a month ago that I was getting 38 MPG, so I am very happy with this car. I just hate they do not make it anymore. The big space is so unexpected for such a small car.

Best buy for gas milage
By longhaulbill

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you can find a used one, buy it! After driving my PT Cruiser back and forth to work (100 miles r/t), I was getting exhausted for money. I was averaging 22 MPG on the highway. My friend has a 2001 ECHO and told me with 236K miles on it, he was averaging 44 miles per gallon. So I wen shopping, found one with 92K for 4200.00. I am averaging 47.4 miles per gallon. It is a 5 speed and has air and power steering. It is not a hybrid, gut a little gas sipper. I love this car and with gas at $ 4.30 per gallon, this is a dream. Fun to drive as well.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, roomy interior, easy to find parking, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None

Ugly but practical, and economical
By autooracle

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Uglier than a Pontiac Aztec. But reliable, economical and fun to drive. The best use of space from any manufacturer of any small car.

Favorite Features

Multiple cup holders. Large windshield wipers.

Suggested Improvements

You did it... the Yaris

2nd best car I ever owned
By granny

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was employed with the Department of Childrens Services and had to drive a lot of miles. This car has never let me down and has never even had to have another battery.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and dependability. Handling and ease of driving on any terrain.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort of seats.