Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

This car is a Trooper
By josh_reeves

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only good things to say about this car. Excellent mileage; EPA estimates are LOW. I get 35 mpg easily. Small, but the interior is bigger than it looks. Cost only 11K brand new. Speedometer is in the middle, back windows roll all the way down (yea, that's right). I have 190K hard miles on mine, through some rough times, and its still going strong - an absolute trooper.

Best value around.
By mikebean

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in my family since it was purchased for ~$10k in 2001. There is currently 130k miles on it. I'm still averaging around 40mpg in the summer and 36mpg in the winter. Crazy that this car is still worth something in the neighborhood of $3-3.5k private party. You can't ask for more than that. If it weren't for the need to fit two car seats (2nd child on the way), I would never give this car up. It's just too good of a value. I should also mention that it's very fun to drive. Work performed: computer failed at about 90k ($1100), bushings replaced (120k), engine coil replaced (120k), catalytic converter needs to be replaced along with the exhaust (MN winters = rust + holes)

Favorite Features

Saving money never gets old - gas mileage = win. Why is it so hard to find a small car over 10 years later that gets the same gas mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Ugly as sin but gets the job done.

solid toyota product
By jztoronto

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i dont agree with the edmunds review this car is a tank, 170k and NO MAJOR REPAIRS just change the oil. typical toyota best maker in the world for the money. the interior has as much space as more exp corrola. not bad in the snow with snow tires. terrific mileage and the trunk is as big as a camrys trunk. styling is def different and not for all but the build quality is solid engine and tranny is typical toyota. if u had 170 km on an audi for example you are 12k in repairs lol. the reviews knock the appearance but ill guarantee that the build quality is solid. def not for a single guy but if you buy this you are ok for repairs

Favorite Features

mileage and space

Suggested Improvements

aerodynamics not suited for highway driving

My Fairy Mobile
By jaesi

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my echo! I got it when I was 16 and 10 years later I'm still driving it. 100,000 Miles and never had a major problem

Favorite Features

The small size is great to park ANYWHERE!

Suggested Improvements

So after about 9 1/2 years the stereo is shot. Lost the tape deck around year 7 (which i only used to connect my Ipod) and now the stero screen is always acting funny.

Love my lil' Echo
By zachcccc

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Echo is amazing after 145,000 miles I'm still getting ~35mpg on an automatic and I'm not the most 'timid' driver. The handling is pretty good, especially for a car this cheap. Also maintenance is a breeze an oil change every now and again and my Echo does fine. I fill up for gas about 2 times a month (every 760miles or so) the only thing that I replaced were the Spark Plugs after 135,000 miles, and that was a cheap and easy to do. The Echo is also really roomy and comfortable to ride/ be a passenger in. I love my lil' Echo its a great car.