2001 Toyota ECHO Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2001 ECHO Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Sort Reviews by

This car is a Trooper
By josh_reeves

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only good things to say about this car. Excellent mileage; EPA estimates are LOW. I get 35 mpg easily. Small, but the interior is bigger than it looks. Cost only 11K brand new. Speedometer is in the middle, back windows roll all the way down (yea, that's right). I have 190K hard miles on mine, through some rough times, and its still going strong - an absolute trooper.

Best value around.
By mikebean

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in my family since it was purchased for ~$10k in 2001. There is currently 130k miles on it. I'm still averaging around 40mpg in the summer and 36mpg in the winter. Crazy that this car is still worth something in the neighborhood of $3-3.5k private party. You can't ask for more than that. If it weren't for the need to fit two car seats (2nd child on the way), I would never give this car up. It's just too good of a value. I should also mention that it's very fun to drive. Work performed: computer failed at about 90k ($1100), bushings replaced (120k), engine coil replaced (120k), catalytic converter needs to be replaced along with the exhaust (MN winters = rust + holes)

Favorite Features

Saving money never gets old - gas mileage = win. Why is it so hard to find a small car over 10 years later that gets the same gas mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Ugly as sin but gets the job done.

solid toyota product
By jztoronto

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

i dont agree with the edmunds review this car is a tank, 170k and NO MAJOR REPAIRS just change the oil. typical toyota best maker in the world for the money. the interior has as much space as more exp corrola. not bad in the snow with snow tires. terrific mileage and the trunk is as big as a camrys trunk. styling is def different and not for all but the build quality is solid engine and tranny is typical toyota. if u had 170 km on an audi for example you are 12k in repairs lol. the reviews knock the appearance but ill guarantee that the build quality is solid. def not for a single guy but if you buy this you are ok for repairs

Favorite Features

mileage and space

Suggested Improvements

aerodynamics not suited for highway driving

My Fairy Mobile
By jaesi

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my echo! I got it when I was 16 and 10 years later I'm still driving it. 100,000 Miles and never had a major problem

Favorite Features

The small size is great to park ANYWHERE!

Suggested Improvements

So after about 9 1/2 years the stereo is shot. Lost the tape deck around year 7 (which i only used to connect my Ipod) and now the stero screen is always acting funny.

Love my lil' Echo
By zachcccc

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Echo is amazing after 145,000 miles I'm still getting ~35mpg on an automatic and I'm not the most 'timid' driver. The handling is pretty good, especially for a car this cheap. Also maintenance is a breeze an oil change every now and again and my Echo does fine. I fill up for gas about 2 times a month (every 760miles or so) the only thing that I replaced were the Spark Plugs after 135,000 miles, and that was a cheap and easy to do. The Echo is also really roomy and comfortable to ride/ be a passenger in. I love my lil' Echo its a great car.

Why does Edmonds hate on the ECHO?
By dllibrarian

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an ECHO in 2001 even after reading what Edmonds had to say about it. The car is still going strong after 176,000 miles. Even at age ten, the ECHO has more testicular fortitude than the 2012 Hyundai Accent I test-drove last weekend. And, with all due respect to the reviewers, I happen to like the unusal "cartoon" styling of the ECHO, especially when car companies are all turning out their own versions of the same car. Viva la difference!

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, ample headroom, agile, compact, fun to drive and easy to park

Suggested Improvements

My only beef with Toyota is that they didn't continue to build and refine the Echo. I won't be buying a Yaris.

Great for me
By donwayne

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in Feb. 2001 with the sticker telling me that my MPG would be 38/43. I have been lucky to have had company cars, so I now have barely 69K miles on the engine. I now have been using my car more for work, driving in town, and out of town. Besides oil changes and new tires, I have not had to have any other work done on my car. I calculated a month ago that I was getting 38 MPG, so I am very happy with this car. I just hate they do not make it anymore. The big space is so unexpected for such a small car.

Best buy for gas milage
By longhaulbill

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you can find a used one, buy it! After driving my PT Cruiser back and forth to work (100 miles r/t), I was getting exhausted for money. I was averaging 22 MPG on the highway. My friend has a 2001 ECHO and told me with 236K miles on it, he was averaging 44 miles per gallon. So I wen shopping, found one with 92K for 4200.00. I am averaging 47.4 miles per gallon. It is a 5 speed and has air and power steering. It is not a hybrid, gut a little gas sipper. I love this car and with gas at $ 4.30 per gallon, this is a dream. Fun to drive as well.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, roomy interior, easy to find parking, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None

I LOVE this car.
By ebadams

2001 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in '05 with about 60,000 miles on it. It now has almost 200,000 on it and is still going strong. It has had no major repairs, save a new switch for the headlights. In fact, the biggest repairs I've had to do (replacing 2 doors) were from accidents; perhaps people have difficulty seeing the car because it is on the small side. However, I get great gas mileage; sometimes close to 40 mpg (highway)! When I do need to replace this car, I will most definitely go with the Yaris.

Favorite Features

Center placement of the gas gauge and speedometer. I love that I don't have to look through the steering wheel to check my speed. Great gas mileage with a small tank!

Suggested Improvements

Could be a bit larger, not enough leg room.

Purchased my Echo new in 2001
By johnmichael2

2001 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Echo will be 10 years old in the Fall with 104,000 miles. I recently began looking for a new car due to age and mileage. Then I realized how much I still enjoyed the car. The car is in great shape and has only needed normal replacement items such as oil changes, tires and brakes. After evaluating the Echo I decided I am happy with what I already have. The reviews posted here made me realize with so many with higher mileage I should keep driving the Echo.

Favorite Features

I like the fact that the engine has a timing chain instead of a belt. Less maintenance. Distinctive looks and higher viewpoint than some smaller cars.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back into production.