Why are they discontinuing this model?
By tularoo on
2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan
We bought this car after graduating from college -- it was the only new car we could afford, and it met my strict retentive guidelines (safety, gas mileage, low cost of ownership). This car has been fantastic. It's survived a move to Vermont (think mountains), which is pretty good for a little 1.5 liter engine. Perhaps the most impressive in the gas mileage -- 40mpg highway. You can barely get that in a hybird car. The car is also well laid-out, with plenty of headroom for our 6' tall friend. I do my own synthetic oil changes, and that engine runs like the day it came off the lot. The CD player recently died, and the air intake had to be replaced. Other than that, smooth sailing!
Favorite Features
Gas mileage!!! You can't beat 40mpg. Easy to park, easy to drive (love the center console), and thus far very low maintenance. Lots of interior storage, and a good sized trunk, too!
Suggested Improvements
It would be nice if I could fit a full size spare in the wheel well, instead of the dinky donut tire. Also, after waxing the car, it's nearly impossible to get the wax residue off the rocker panels. But that is minor, I suppose!