Amazingly reliable
By n1yqh on
2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe
I've had this car for 4 years, just hit 72,000 miles, and love it. I've used it for everything from in-town commuting (tight turning radius and tiny spots it can fit into are key) to driving from Boston to San Fransisco nonstop (the front passenger seat makes a suprisingly comfy bed). Obviously, the 42-44mpg (highway) is great. It has more than adequate acceleration, and managed the mountains on I-80 just fine at 75-80mph (although some downshifting was needed). The best part for me is that since I do routine maintaince myself, and it hasn't needed any repairs AT ALL except for replacing a burned-out taillight bulb, it's been dirt cheap to operate.
Favorite Features
Lots of cupholders (five!) and other storage spaces, with a large bin on either side of the radio, another under the wheel, and two gloveboxes (one nice and large, one small).
Suggested Improvements
A little more sound insulation would be nice, as road noise is rather loud at high speed. Also, better tires - the ones that came with the car were okay, but once replaced by a set of good all- seasons (and snow tires in the wintertime) the car performs much better.