Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (54 reviews )

2000 Echo, loving it
By Al

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for my son in May 2005 with 88000 miles on it and have since added 6000 miles without any troubles. It's a solid little car which gets excellent mpg. With the price of gas going high, I was lucky to pick this up.

I'm not sure this is a feature, but I like that the car has good pickup for having such a small engine.

I'm keeping it
By farmlassie

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely wonderful! I have loved it from the day I bought it. We have had 3 minivans since we bought this car and I still prefer my ECHO. It is effected by the wind, but it is well worth it. With the price of gas it is a real asset to own. I would buy it again if I needed another car. It isn't the most comfortable on long trips, especially not having a right-arm rest for the driver. The safety is greatly appreciated.

The double glove box is wonderful and I love the location of the dashboard. It was a concern at first but now I love it. The trunk is large and being able to put the back seats down is great. I also love the radio/cd player. It handles great and you can park in almost any spot in the lot.

It really needs an arm rest. I would also put bigger cup holders in it, especially the ones in the front. It doesn't hold my 44oz. soda very well.

Love my echo!
By Karen

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I got it the first year it was out. I had original tires on it until I replaced them a few weeks ago. So, that was 5 years and the only reason that I did it was that Michelin had a sale.

It is roomy for a small car and has lots of storage areas. I like the location of the displays. You can glance down easier while driving.

My dealer did not have a floor model with auto locks, I would have liked that. I will order one next time.

Loving it
By SCOTT

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I cannot say enough about how I feel about this car . One word says it best, great. I love everything about it, from its storage withen to its 40 mpg. We live a couple of hours from Charlette NC and have taken our Echo at least 7 times not to mention a couple of trips to Tenn. and S.C. My wife is now saying that she is going to start to drive it to work because of gas prices. I usually fill it up every 2 weeks sometimes longer. When we bought it, it had 39k now we are at about 50k and still going strong.

Gas 40mpg

Arm rest

Why are they discontinuing this model?
By tularoo

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car after graduating from
college -- it was the only new car we
could afford, and it met my strict
retentive guidelines (safety, gas
mileage, low cost of ownership). This
car has been fantastic. It's survived a
move to Vermont (think mountains), which
is pretty good for a little 1.5 liter
engine. Perhaps the most impressive in
the gas mileage -- 40mpg highway. You
can barely get that in a hybird car.
The car is also well laid-out, with
plenty of headroom for our 6' tall
friend. I do my own synthetic oil
changes, and that engine runs like the
day it came off the lot. The CD player
recently died, and the air intake had to
be replaced. Other than that, smooth
sailing!

Gas mileage!!! You can't beat 40mpg. Easy to park, easy to drive (love the center console), and thus far very low maintenance. Lots of interior storage, and a good sized trunk, too!

It would be nice if I could fit a full size spare in the wheel well, instead of the dinky donut tire. Also, after waxing the car, it's nearly impossible to get the wax residue off the rocker panels. But that is minor, I suppose!