Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (53 reviews )

I'm keeping it
By farmlassie

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely wonderful! I have loved it from the day I bought it. We have had 3 minivans since we bought this car and I still prefer my ECHO. It is effected by the wind, but it is well worth it. With the price of gas it is a real asset to own. I would buy it again if I needed another car. It isn't the most comfortable on long trips, especially not having a right-arm rest for the driver. The safety is greatly appreciated.

The double glove box is wonderful and I love the location of the dashboard. It was a concern at first but now I love it. The trunk is large and being able to put the back seats down is great. I also love the radio/cd player. It handles great and you can park in almost any spot in the lot.

It really needs an arm rest. I would also put bigger cup holders in it, especially the ones in the front. It doesn't hold my 44oz. soda very well.

Love my echo!
By Karen

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I got it the first year it was out. I had original tires on it until I replaced them a few weeks ago. So, that was 5 years and the only reason that I did it was that Michelin had a sale.

It is roomy for a small car and has lots of storage areas. I like the location of the displays. You can glance down easier while driving.

My dealer did not have a floor model with auto locks, I would have liked that. I will order one next time.

Loving it
By SCOTT

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

I cannot say enough about how I feel about this car . One word says it best, great. I love everything about it, from its storage withen to its 40 mpg. We live a couple of hours from Charlette NC and have taken our Echo at least 7 times not to mention a couple of trips to Tenn. and S.C. My wife is now saying that she is going to start to drive it to work because of gas prices. I usually fill it up every 2 weeks sometimes longer. When we bought it, it had 39k now we are at about 50k and still going strong.

Gas 40mpg

Arm rest

Why are they discontinuing this model?
By tularoo

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car after graduating from college -- it was the only new car we could afford, and it met my strict retentive guidelines (safety, gas mileage, low cost of ownership). This car has been fantastic. It's survived a move to Vermont (think mountains), which is pretty good for a little 1.5 liter engine. Perhaps the most impressive in the gas mileage -- 40mpg highway. You can barely get that in a hybird car. The car is also well laid-out, with plenty of headroom for our 6' tall friend. I do my own synthetic oil changes, and that engine runs like the day it came off the lot. The CD player recently died, and the air intake had to be replaced. Other than that, smooth sailing!

Gas mileage!!! You can't beat 40mpg. Easy to park, easy to drive (love the center console), and thus far very low maintenance. Lots of interior storage, and a good sized trunk, too!

It would be nice if I could fit a full size spare in the wheel well, instead of the dinky donut tire. Also, after waxing the car, it's nearly impossible to get the wax residue off the rocker panels. But that is minor, I suppose!

Excellent car
By xepathfinder95

2000 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan

our 2000 model now has 85,000 miles on it and it still runs as good as new and has only needed a set of tires and that is it. Over 40 mpg on the highway even in 95 degree heat , going 85 with the AC on high and 3 people and luggage. In the low to mid 30's in stop and go driving, never have we averaged less than 30 mpg. Decent stereo and pretty confortable, makes a great commuter car. Oddly it cost more to insure than our 2002 4x4 Nissan Xterra.

Reliability and gas mpg.

Arm rest. Other than that I say leave it alone, it does its job perfectly, but seriously Toyota add an armrest. We actually use a pillow.