2000 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Why are they discontinuing this model?
By tularoo on 02/07/05 10:07 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

We bought this car after graduating from college -- it was the only new car we could afford, and it met my strict retentive guidelines (safety, gas mileage, low cost of ownership). This car has been fantastic. It's survived a move to Vermont (think mountains), which is pretty good for a little 1.5 liter engine. Perhaps the most impressive in the gas mileage -- 40mpg highway. You can barely get that in a hybird car. The car is also well laid-out, with plenty of headroom for our 6' tall friend. I do my own synthetic oil changes, and that engine runs like the day it came off the lot. The CD player recently died, and the air intake had to be replaced. Other than that, smooth sailing!

Excellent car
By xepathfinder95 on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

our 2000 model now has 85,000 miles on it and it still runs as good as new and has only needed a set of tires and that is it. Over 40 mpg on the highway even in 95 degree heat , going 85 with the AC on high and 3 people and luggage. In the low to mid 30's in stop and go driving, never have we averaged less than 30 mpg. Decent stereo and pretty confortable, makes a great commuter car. Oddly it cost more to insure than our 2002 4x4 Nissan Xterra.

2000 ECHO ECHO
By CAJUNMAMOU on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

BOUGHT IT WITH 80K MILES, THE BEST CAR I EVER OWNED BECAUSE OF THE ROOMINESS AND GAS MILEAGE. CAST IORN TOYOTA RELIABILITY ADDED CRUISE AND POWER DOOR LOCKS. GREAT FACTORY SOUND SYSTEM. A LITTLE SHORT ON PERFORMANCE EXPECTED IN RETURN FOR FUEL MILEAGE. 31 TO 37 COMMUTER MILEAGE (REAL NOT INFLATED) CANT WAIT TO SEE LONG HIGHWAY MILEAGE. MY DAUGHTER KEEPS ASKING TO USE IT AND SHE HAS A MIATA. HAVE AN ISUZU TROOPER AND LEAVE IT PARKED FOR USE OF THE ECHO.

Good on Gas!
By Brandon Frye on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I got 43 miles to the gallon on a 350 mile trip and I was averaging 75+mph! Great car with stick. I've driven the auto and it was way to slugish for me. Has alot more body role then my celica did. There is a whining sound from my rear tires when I drive on the highway on windy days. I think it's because the car only weighs only 2000 lbs.

My Echo...
By Scott... on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

This is a decent little car, it gets great gas mileage even after four years. I commute about 2hrs each way, 2/3 of my drive is in traffic, heavy traffic and I still get around 33- 34mpg. The other 1/3 of the time, I am going well over 80mph. This car does have a governer on it that kills the power around 115mph which is pretty fast for such a small car. The first 80K miles, I have been doing the tune-ups myself. Everything is very easy to do on this car, I think any girl could even do a full tune-up on it. The only thing I really dislike about the car is every 35k miles, I need new brakes.

120k+
By cmo on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

Happily driving the wheels off. Very reliable. Pros are the interior room (I'm 6'2") which is the best in a high fuel economy car I've ever known, excellent manueverablity and parking. An excellent city car. Cons are crosswind sensitivity (you MUST stay focused on the road on a windy day) and the stunning lack of Toyota aftermarket parts and repair manuals. Much of the car is engineered to make you bring it back to the dealer. I paid $42 for a fuel filter that was mounted in the fuel tank under the rear seat. Tercel (ECHO is a very upgraded Tercel) had a $5 fuel filter under the hood on a fender. OTOH it simply doesn't give any trouble.

So far very good
By Serbian on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

50.000 km without single problem. Car did not see dealer. Seats and seating positions is excelent. I like big trunk. I do not like "side wind" driving car instead of me.

Amazingly reliable
By n1yqh on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 4 years, just hit 72,000 miles, and love it. I've used it for everything from in-town commuting (tight turning radius and tiny spots it can fit into are key) to driving from Boston to San Fransisco nonstop (the front passenger seat makes a suprisingly comfy bed). Obviously, the 42-44mpg (highway) is great. It has more than adequate acceleration, and managed the mountains on I-80 just fine at 75-80mph (although some downshifting was needed). The best part for me is that since I do routine maintaince myself, and it hasn't needed any repairs AT ALL except for replacing a burned-out taillight bulb, it's been dirt cheap to operate.

best car ever.
By gabrielle on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

this car is so so so fun to drive. i suddenly love my hour commute to school. it's very utilitarian and economic, all the compartments make a great use of space and the gas milage is outstanding. i love how the seats sit up high, being 5' i've felt kind of lost in many of the cars i've driven.

i love this car...
By mgaige on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

Have always enjoyed the car i hated the closeness to the ground of the other cars (i have arthritis and it hurt to get in and out of the cars) w/ the sales man showed me this one and I fell in love with the height, headroom, trunk room, and storage spaces I love the center placement for the speedometer- i dont break my back getting her in and out of the back seat. the get up and go is wonderful, i never have to worry about getting on the highway