Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Endearing little machine
By James and Joanna

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

This car has won me over. Despite the awful center-mount gauges and ugly styling, Toyota did its homework. Interior space is larger than its subcompact rating would suggest, as is its trunk. The interior materials, while not much on a quality impression, are extremely hard wearing. Few rattles are to be heard. The ride is comfortable for a car with such a short wheelbase, but handling can be squirrelly especially at higher speeds or in crosswinds. The motor isn't exactly refined but even saddled with an automatic transmission it moved the car with surprising swiftness and equally impressive fuel economy - low 30's on my short commute with a/c and near 40 on long trips.

Favorite Features

Economy, durability, comfort, room, power

Suggested Improvements

Regular gauges, less forward rake on styling, bigger gas tank, better highway stability

Great little car that will last forever
By Michael

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

One of the best little cars I have ever owned, the power of the little motor is very surprising, all features are great only one thing no cruise control, otherwise gas mileage and no timing belt makes this an excellent choice. easy to tune up yourself as well.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, spunk of the motor, ease to park anywhere, and yes no timing belt to change.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control, would love to have one, might buy the aftermarket one instead.

Keeping it forever
By jgc

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 years ago. On my first long drive to Northern California , on HWY 5, I looked down at the speedometer and I was driving 105 mph. Honest officer, It felt like I was only going 60. No quivering, no shaking, no instability. Just a very smooth and confident ride at pretty high speed for this little coupe. When we first drove it home the neighbors with the big trucks laughed at the car, but when the gas shortages happened I was the one laughing . It's extremely reliable. No major repairs at all. Even though I'm shopping for a new car I won't get rid of My Echo. I just gave it a major tune up, oil change, brakejob, and changed a belt. Probably good for another 100,000 miles

Favorite Features

The pep, quickness, and acceleration in my stick shift Echo Coupe. The fuel economy. 41 MPG on the freeways. 33 mpg around town. For a car built in 2000. Interior cabin space is really good for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest they they make the Echo again. That would be an improvement.

Best by Far
By vuduthmb

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

I'm 57, and I have owned many cars. Nothing even comes close to the Echo. Ten years old, and still getting gas mileage close to a hybrid. Just change the oil and tires, it just keeps going.

Favorite Features

I'm a big guy, and this is by far the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The interior design is perfect, with the off set, highly visible speedometer. Lots of head and leg room. Many little compartments and storage spaces, good cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

A hot tub and a wet bar.

I LOVE this car
By Ronnie

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

It gets good mileage, average of 36 mpg, and it handles well for a small car. It's comfortable, though I find my shoulder hurting after sitting in it too long since I'm 6'1 and the armrest on the door isn't quite high enough to sit without slouching. The only problems so far are a catalytic converter and a charcoal canister. The Catalytic Converter was replaced at 79,000 and now needs it again at 90,000, that's a major expense only 11,000 miles apart. I do love this car, so hopefully once its catalytic converter is fixed it will be back to its excellent driving condition. The Toyota dealership was happy to see it and told me they are the best of the used Toyotas out there.

Favorite Features

MILEAGE!!! It almost competes with hybrids. Room to move, being 6'1 there's plenty of room in there for me, other people are surprised when they get in about the amount of space since it looks like such a small car from the outside. Nice sound system. VERY reliable, I plan to drive it forever.

Suggested Improvements

Car feels like it's going to be pushed into other lanes in high winds. A wider opening between back seat and trunk to put things through the fold down seat.