2000 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:
Unstoppable, Well-Engineered Car
By sgtofmarines75 on 11/14/13 20:28 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new in 2000. 13 years and 220,000 miles later, I have no plans to let it go anytime soon. Replaced the catalytic converter at about 150,000 miles, but no other repairs ever needed - routine maintenance only. It does leak some oil now, but that's to be expected at this age. 34-36 MPG avg. combined, city and hwy. Incredibly roomy interior and trunk, given the car's tiny exterior. Interior features are simple and "plastic-y" but are rugged. Engine has plenty of power and pep, but handling leaves a bit to be desired, especially when taking curves at high speed, or in stiff winds. Hard to beat for simple, reliable, and comfortable transportation

I may make the foreign car leap...
By rcfk on 07/25/12 12:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Just got this little car so I can park my big ol' Ford F-150 gas guzzler for a while. Was not expecting much- but it is surprisingly fun to drive. It feels much larger than it's subcompact size, and the trunk is rather roomy. The check engine light was on when I got it, and like everyone else, it's O2 sensors. It is by no means a sports car, but with 198,000 miles on it- there are NO rattles and it feels solid. The interior is in remarkable condition considering the age and miles. It was filthy when we got it- we gutted the interior and cleaned everything and it is very close to new looking now- proving the durability of the interior. I don't think I will regret this purchase.

Keeping it forever
By jgc on 03/15/10 07:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 years ago. On my first long drive to Northern California , on HWY 5, I looked down at the speedometer and I was driving 105 mph. Honest officer, It felt like I was only going 60. No quivering, no shaking, no instability. Just a very smooth and confident ride at pretty high speed for this little coupe. When we first drove it home the neighbors with the big trucks laughed at the car, but when the gas shortages happened I was the one laughing . It's extremely reliable. No major repairs at all. Even though I'm shopping for a new car I won't get rid of My Echo. I just gave it a major tune up, oil change, brakejob, and changed a belt. Probably good for another 100,000 miles

Too good to be true
By John Green on 08/01/09 22:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought my "new" echo with 195k miles this year, it drives perfect. It's the second echo I own. I still regret that I sold my first one to my friend. I made 10k in about 5 months and have nothing to complain about. I'm a mechanic and I would recommend it to everybody. I drive mostly in city and get 36 mpg. Highway around 44 mpg. It's the most reliable car you can get for your money. I bet it can last more than 300k miles (I will try it). I still have original clutch with over 200k, no leaks at all. First it was ugly but now it's a pretty nice car, it takes time to get used to it. :)

Awesome little car!
By dimples on 08/05/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I love this car and have had it for 8 yrs with no problems. I only had to change the tires and oil. Make a great product and then discontinue it! Makes sense. Why in the world did Toyota do this! I am going out to buy a newer Toyota Echo with less mileage and run it to death like this one.

A Face Only An Owner Could Love
By Autooracle on 11/04/07 18:40 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

The design of this car is nothing short of sheer comedy. Powertrain: excellent: peppy, great mileage, idles smoother than my Mercedes. I literally get over 35 mpg with combination driving 40 mpg highway. Great car, especially for someone in the used car market who seeks reliable economy. As long as they are able to overlook quirky styling, they are set for miles reliable driving. Car also has a timing chain instead of a timing belt which is great for overall maintenance, or lack of.

Echo's got Zoom
By wasabiJo on 04/29/07 12:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

My little red Echo spoils me - incredible fuel economy, roomy interior, peppy attitude, and very durable (mine has been rebuilt twice from two accidents - I just didn't want to get rid of it). I've used mine for zipping around town and cross-country trips (over 2,000 miles at a time), and hauling my junk to and from colleges for years. My friends (and some mechanics) think I'm nuts when I say I plan to run this car into the ground before I buy another one. As long as you keep up with the regular maintenance, nothing short of a collision with a semi will destroy it.

Good for Gas Mileage
By AJ on 02/19/07 11:06 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

The Toyota Echo is gets really good gas mileage and it has a lot more trunk space than you would expect.

I love this car
By Echo lady on 01/22/07 14:19 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought my car new in 2000 and have been very happy with it ever since. Have had oil and fluids changed regularly. Had timing belt and tires replaced. Otherwise, no problems. Always starts right up.

Unbelievable for the price
By Carole on 06/21/06 04:47 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I've had my Toyota Echo for about 3 years now and still just absolutely love it. I've had no mechanical problems. I especially love the interior design. And the gas mileage is awesome. I also like the way the car sits a little higher than most cars... protects the muffler. Its such a perfect little car, I wouldn't hestitate to buy it again.