Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota ECHO - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Unstoppable, Well-Engineered Car
By sgtofmarines75

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new in 2000. 13 years and 220,000 miles later, I have no plans to let it go anytime soon. Replaced the catalytic converter at about 150,000 miles, but no other repairs ever needed - routine maintenance only. It does leak some oil now, but that's to be expected at this age. 34-36 MPG avg. combined, city and hwy. Incredibly roomy interior and trunk, given the car's tiny exterior. Interior features are simple and "plastic-y" but are rugged. Engine has plenty of power and pep, but handling leaves a bit to be desired, especially when taking curves at high speed, or in stiff winds. Hard to beat for simple, reliable, and comfortable transportation

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Surprisingly peppy engine with lots of power. Spacious interior. Large trunk. Love the center console display.

Power windows and cruise control would have been nice options. High-speed handling does not inspire confidence. Strong winds can push it around a bit.

I may make the foreign car leap...
By rcfk

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Just got this little car so I can park my big ol' Ford F-150 gas guzzler for a while. Was not expecting much- but it is surprisingly fun to drive. It feels much larger than it's subcompact size, and the trunk is rather roomy. The check engine light was on when I got it, and like everyone else, it's O2 sensors. It is by no means a sports car, but with 198,000 miles on it- there are NO rattles and it feels solid. The interior is in remarkable condition considering the age and miles. It was filthy when we got it- we gutted the interior and cleaned everything and it is very close to new looking now- proving the durability of the interior. I don't think I will regret this purchase.

Fun to drive, economical (!), quirky design, nothing to break (no power windows or locks)m sturdy, durable.

Can't really think of any.

Keeping it forever
By jgc

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 10 years ago. On my first long drive to Northern California , on HWY 5, I looked down at the speedometer and I was driving 105 mph. Honest officer, It felt like I was only going 60. No quivering, no shaking, no instability. Just a very smooth and confident ride at pretty high speed for this little coupe. When we first drove it home the neighbors with the big trucks laughed at the car, but when the gas shortages happened I was the one laughing . It's extremely reliable. No major repairs at all. Even though I'm shopping for a new car I won't get rid of My Echo. I just gave it a major tune up, oil change, brakejob, and changed a belt. Probably good for another 100,000 miles

The pep, quickness, and acceleration in my stick shift Echo Coupe. The fuel economy. 41 MPG on the freeways. 33 mpg around town. For a car built in 2000. Interior cabin space is really good for a small car.

I would suggest they they make the Echo again. That would be an improvement.

Too good to be true
By John Green

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I bought my "new" echo with 195k miles this year, it drives perfect. It's the second echo I own. I still regret that I sold my first one to my friend. I made 10k in about 5 months and have nothing to complain about. I'm a mechanic and I would recommend it to everybody. I drive mostly in city and get 36 mpg. Highway around 44 mpg. It's the most reliable car you can get for your money. I bet it can last more than 300k miles (I will try it). I still have original clutch with over 200k, no leaks at all. First it was ugly but now it's a pretty nice car, it takes time to get used to it. :)

Economy, reliability, interior space. I just love it.

Awesome little car!
By dimples

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

I love this car and have had it for 8 yrs with no problems. I only had to change the tires and oil. Make a great product and then discontinue it! Makes sense. Why in the world did Toyota do this! I am going out to buy a newer Toyota Echo with less mileage and run it to death like this one.

Big knobs and readings. Panoramic view. Can see everything. Great interior quality. Built to last forever!

Plastic bumpers around wheels keeps coming apart. Noise in rear passenger side. Would have loved it if it was a hatchback instead.