Used 2000 Toyota ECHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Echo - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota ECHO

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Unstoppable, Well-Engineered Car
By sgtofmarines75

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new in 2000. 13 years and 220,000 miles later, I have no plans to let it go anytime soon. Replaced the catalytic converter at about 150,000 miles, but no other repairs ever needed - routine maintenance only. It does leak some oil now, but that's to be expected at this age. 34-36 MPG avg. combined, city and hwy. Incredibly roomy interior and trunk, given the car's tiny exterior. Interior features are simple and "plastic-y" but are rugged. Engine has plenty of power and pep, but handling leaves a bit to be desired, especially when taking curves at high speed, or in stiff winds. Hard to beat for simple, reliable, and comfortable transportation

Favorite Features

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Surprisingly peppy engine with lots of power. Spacious interior. Large trunk. Love the center console display.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows and cruise control would have been nice options. High-speed handling does not inspire confidence. Strong winds can push it around a bit.

2000 Echo: over 180,000 miles and no problems
By echoowner

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

We bought our Echo in 2000. It has been the most reliable car we've ever owned, and the most economical to operate. Highway mileage is about 40 mpg, and we have had no major repairs at over 180,000 miles. My husband is 6'2" and is very comfortable in the driver's seat - he tried to sit in a Corolla at the time we bought the Echo, and he was terribly cramped, so we bought the Echo instead and have never, never regretted it. This car is a keeper! (Our Echo has automatic transmission.)

Favorite Features

Initial low price, extremely low maintenance cost over 12 years (extreme reliability), high gas mileage, very large trunk, excellent for tight parking situations in the city (very maneuverable), roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Use more durable materials on interior (we are tough on a car and, after 12 years, the interior hasn't held up all that well). I missed power locks and power windows, but I got used to it.

I may make the foreign car leap...
By rcfk

2000 Toyota ECHO 2dr Coupe

Just got this little car so I can park my big ol' Ford F-150 gas guzzler for a while. Was not expecting much- but it is surprisingly fun to drive. It feels much larger than it's subcompact size, and the trunk is rather roomy. The check engine light was on when I got it, and like everyone else, it's O2 sensors. It is by no means a sports car, but with 198,000 miles on it- there are NO rattles and it feels solid. The interior is in remarkable condition considering the age and miles. It was filthy when we got it- we gutted the interior and cleaned everything and it is very close to new looking now- proving the durability of the interior. I don't think I will regret this purchase.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, economical (!), quirky design, nothing to break (no power windows or locks)m sturdy, durable.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any.

From high school to adulthood and beyond!
By kitteh

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

One day my dad got a call from a dealership saying my desired 4door sedan in seafoam blue Echo came off the truck and on the lot!! We were there in a heartbeat and bought the car without me test driving it! I just somehow knew that I would love this funny weird little car at first sight! 11 years later, I still have it and love as much as I did the day I drove it home with my dad from the lot. I showed it off to everyone I met and people laughed at me saying I have an ugly car. Well I laughed at everyone when the gas crunch came and still laughing now as gas is over $4!! Who needs a silly high maintenance ego boosting Prius when I get 40mpg city and 50mpg on the highway going 100? MUAHAHAHA

Favorite Features

paint job, pep, vroom, super awesome gas mileage, roomy interior, weird looking exterior, super reliability

Suggested Improvements

bring back the Echo!!

Amazing Car
By Echo

2000 Toyota ECHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my Echo new in 1999. I have been driving it now for 11 years and I never had to turn the key twice. I'm at 140K now and other than the oxygen sensors triggering the check engine light, this car has been amazing. I want to keep driving it to see how many miles I can get on it. My last good car was a 1989 Toyota extended cab which I loved.

Favorite Features

Some pep in its step and roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

The Yaris I guess.