My 06' was better on gas!!!!
By jsmeltz on
2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)
Nice car! Love the redesign (Inside & out)! Not as peppy as my 2006 S. Planned on driving my 06 for 5 more years as was so dependable, but totaled it so needed a new car. I chose the S Plus due to the disc brakes all the way around. Purchased with the convenience package. Love the XM and blue tooth which I didn't have before. With that said, I am so DISAPPOINTED with the gas mileage. My 06 got 33 MPG consistently. This car barely gets 29 MPG. They advertise as 35 MPG which is NOT true. But it's still a nice car. As far as reliability, that remains to be seen. Oh yea, I put 5,000 miles on it so far, and still can't get rid of the epoxy smells when I accelerate. Seems to come thru the vents.
Favorite Features
I like the sporty design inside and out. It's much cooler than the competitors. I like the navigation, XM satellite, and blue tooth. I don't really use the paddle shifters, but think they are cool and can actually be useful. I like the automatic climate control and heated mirrors. I like the LED headlights. I prefer the alloy rims that the other nice models have, but had no choice as I got the 17 inch wheels. I'm a little older and just seems better for a younger person, but I wanted the S Plus model due to the rear disc brakes. I'm use to the rims already. Overall, nice looking car all around.
Suggested Improvements
They must improve gas mileage. I will guarantee that the older models get better MPG than the new ones. I can't speak for the ECO model, just the regular ones. Toyota has a lot of nerve putting an improved MPG sticker on these cars when I already proven that this is not true. Wish I didn't wreck my 06'. See if the 06 engine and transmission will go in this thing! My 06 was more peppy as well.
By jkobb
on 05/21/14 06:46 AM (PDT)

My 2014 LE plus (not eco model) shows on the mpg average readout from the car 38.5 mpg right now. This was set at about 2 k ago . So 38.5 mpg over a 2k miles. Total mileage on the car is at 7k miles. I drive somewhat conservative with basically no highway miles but a lot of semi-rural miles. Driving habits will change mpg numbers significantly. I got better numbers on my 09 Scion XB than most people also.

By jsmeltz
on 05/21/14 18:13 PM (PDT)

You may be right! I am heavy on cars. But I would still think that it would be better MPG than my older model since my driving habits haven't changed. My friend says the 17 inch wheels also uses more gas. That may be a factor. I still think it's a nice car though. Especially for the money. Just hope I can put 250,000 miles on this thing before I think about buying another one. Never had any major problems with my 06 and had 160,000 miles on it. And they keep their value too! We'll see!