2014 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: Toyota does not stand behi

2014 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

S Plus Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic)

Toyota does not stand behind its products
By flyhi152 on

2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

After owning this car for 2 years I got rid of it. I am done with Toyota, the most arrogant car company I ever dealt with. I paid around $ 1,400 for a navigation system which I need on a daily basis and ended up sticking my $ 70,- Garmin into the window because the Toyota system was basically useless. I found out about this within the first week of owning the car and when I explained to Toyota that the GPS took me to places 3 miles away from the actually address, (among other issues like telling me to turn after the intersection where I was supposed to make the turn), the response was "The system is designed like that". The map that was installed in this system was over 15 years old in some areas and when a map update was released, the dealer told me "map updates are not covered under warranty, you have to pay for it. It looks like this is Toyota's standard answer when something is wrong with their products: "It is designed like that, all the other vehicles do the same" What Toyota means is that the customer has to accept any design flaws as long as all the other cars of the same year / model have the same problem.

I bought this car to save money on the gas but after all I did not save - the vehicle depreciated about $ 7,000 in 2 years. For that money I could have bought a lot of gas and kept driving my Chrysler van which didn't have any GPS issues.

• Front seats
  • Transmission
  • Electronics
  • Purchase cost
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By ntassistant
on 12/25/13 02:47 AM (UTC)

I agree, the integrated rear seat headrests look horrendous on non-premium models. Premium models come with Softex seats and have adjustable rear headrests. With the integrated rear headrests, it reminds me of a roller coaster seat! I think aftermarket leather would look awful. Little cost cutting measures are very noticeable with the new Corolla. No more auto on/off headlights, no hood insulator, cheap trunk and gas door release handles with stickers that peel over time. I have been a huge Corolla fan and continue to hold interest in them, however I have seen the quality deteriorate over the last and present generations. Over time, cars should improve as prices rise. It is sad to see Toyota cutting corners but at least overall reliability is still up to par.