2014 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Corolla S Plus - Excellent Car so Far
By mitchieray on 02/15/14 05:43 AM (PST)

2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this 2014 Corolla S Plus in Dec 2013., I Traded in a 2010 Corolla S. I have noticed Many improvements over the 2010 Model, I really like the CVT Trans. over the Manual. I had a Manual in the 2010 and I did test the Manual in the 2014. I am very surprised at the superb acceleration of the CVT over the Manual, The Engine revs. high and stays high in the power band through all gears up to 70+ mph. It is quite impressive & fun! Don't waste your time on a Manual, get a manual trans. in a sports car with a V-8 & feel the power there. Do yourself a big favor & Test drive all the Corolla models, you will see a significant difference in Handling and performance when you get to the S & S+

19,295 of 19,304 people found this review helpful
Reliability and great looks.
By caracal2 on 11/20/13 11:29 AM (PST)

2014 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I'm the last person one would expect to be seen in a Corolla, but I still got one! I shopped around and compare the Civic, the Mazda 2, 3, the Focus, the Elantra GT and the Accent. My previous two cars were fast turbo cars with plenty of power and handling. The Mazda 3 is definitely faster than the Corolla, and handles better. So why did I pick the Corolla instead of the Mazda? It felt like the most luxurious car of the bunch, with a decent ride, at a price others couldn't beat. I have everything I always wanted in one package with the "S", no need for additional 1200 Moonroof and other expensive options. The Mazda comes close, but it was more expensive.

Corolla 6-speed
By schooby on 04/18/14 17:04 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is an addition to my previous review. If you're looking for a sports car the 6-speed might not fit. Passing with the 6 speed can be a bit challenging, although its still capable. At 55 mph in 6th gear drop it into 4th and punch it to moderately pass on the open road. Do not challenge on coming traffic, give yourself room. When shifting from 5th into 6th ride the shifter to the far right as to not accidentally drop it back into 4th. A sloppy shift may end up going from 5th back to 4th. Also mind going from 4th to 5th as to not accidentally drop into 3rd. This advice applies to folks whom are new to driving manual transmissions, seasoned folks will not find this problem.

Great car but have the right expectations
By wvanepps on 04/17/14 10:52 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I needed a commuter car to drive almost 100 miles a day back and forth to work. I also own a 2014 Corvette Stingray and a 2013 BMW M3 Coupe and wanted to keep the miles off them. I have driven the Corolla about 1,500 miles and really like it. The rear leg room is great and I have been averaging 34 MPG. I really like the exterior styling of the car and the interior looks like it belongs in a much more expensive car. I opted for the S Plus as it adds a lot of features for very little money. This is a great commuter car but do not expect great performance or an exciting ride. If you want something that is comfortable, looks nice, drives nice and gets great MPG then this is the car for you.

Great car!
By kfilly on 05/18/14 18:43 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Pros: Comfortable, fuel efficient, roomy for a compact car, quiet, LED headlights are great, Entune system is easy to use/has good sound quality, back up camera, visibility, automatic climate control. Cons: Sun visor is short and does not telescope, CVT transmission is a little sluggish from a stop due to somewhat high starting ratio, not very sporty handling. I am 5'11" and I can comfortably sit in the rear seat behind where I place the driver seat. I am getting mileage slightly better than advertised on my LE. The car rides nice. Five adults for short trips only as the back seat is narrow. People over 6' will have little headroom in the rear seat.

Honda lost a sale
By flyhi152 on 12/15/13 19:51 PM (PST)

2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I was going to buy a Honda Civic but then I changed my mind because the red color is only available with a disgusting beige interior, the seats reminded me of my grandfathers TV couch. So I bought a Corolla S-Plus with the convenience package. I just returned from a 700 mile test drive to Los Angeles. What I can say is that I am less tired now compared to the same trip in other vehicles. Driving at speeds of up to 80 mp/h feels like driving 60 in other vehicles. The noise level is low, the suspension and steering are excellent, the climate control is very user friendly.

My 06' was better on gas!!!!
By jsmeltz on 05/19/14 16:21 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Nice car! Love the redesign (Inside & out)! Not as peppy as my 2006 S. Planned on driving my 06 for 5 more years as was so dependable, but totaled it so needed a new car. I chose the S Plus due to the disc brakes all the way around. Purchased with the convenience package. Love the XM and blue tooth which I didn't have before. With that said, I am so DISAPPOINTED with the gas mileage. My 06 got 33 MPG consistently. This car barely gets 29 MPG. They advertise as 35 MPG which is NOT true. But it's still a nice car. As far as reliability, that remains to be seen. Oh yea, I put 5,000 miles on it so far, and still can't get rid of the epoxy smells when I accelerate. Seems to come thru the vents.

Value Car
By daftshadow on 04/17/14 10:26 AM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

It's been about two months now since I purchased my 2014 Corolla LE ECO Plus. It's a nice budget car that has a stylish design. It is great on fuel economy for non-hybrid car. I spend about $10-$15 less compared to my previous car per month in gas. Although there is one issue that has me scratching my head. About a week ago, the engine did a "barf" to sort of speak. The engine somewhat stalled when I tried to start it. Once I got it started, put it in gear and then it would stall again. I brought the car to the dealer and they said there was a computer software failure that caused the problem. Really?!?

Problem with Corolla
By toyotacle on 05/01/14 15:48 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I recently purchased a 2014 Toyota Corolla. I really like the car, except for 2 concerns: 1. the average mile/gallon on the sticker (highway & local) is inflated. I've checked the web and apparently there is no federal oversight to ensure the correct mileage is posted. 2. the car has 2 plastic "rods" that are on both sides of the car (vertically) clipped to the under-carriage. Last winter during the snow, I was driving out of an icy spot an to my surprise, there was a long gray plastic rod on the road. It was from my new car. I have submitted a complaint to Toyota...poor quality and engineering. Maybe they'll recall and fix this issue.

1 Month Review: A Value Proposition
By triplebronze on 03/23/14 19:25 PM (PDT)

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I chose the Corolla over the 2014 Mazda 3. I have about 600 miles on mine now. In most ways, the Mazda is the better car - better handling, more power, better fuel economy, better build quality. But I don't regret my choice. The Corolla has more interior space, better visibility, and better features for less money, comparably equipped. Noise levels are on-par with the Mazda, but could be better (sadly, not close to the Chevy Cruze).The handling is well improved over previous Toyotas I've driven, and the seats are supportive and comfortable. Overall this is an easy, economical car to live with and I quite enjoy it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Toyota Corolla in VA is:

$153 per month*