Used 2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Cylinder Head Replaced at 13,500, Probable Factory Milling Issue
By mycylinderhead

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE Eco Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2014 LE Eco Plus in September of 2013. At 13,300 miles, Code registered for fuel/air imbalance. Service Bulletin said cylinder head and 4 valves to be replaced under warranty. Major repair for a young car. Very disappointed. Toyota will not at this point extend drive train warranty for free because they have "fixed" it. Other than that, car runs smoothly, nice and heavy for a little car. The gray seat fabric stains very easily, even a wet gym bag or wet work bag if left on the seat too long leave pronounced stain, even with the Stain Guard extra they sell you at time of purchase. This is a hassle, worrying about everything that touches the seats. Average 32MPG.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable. Feels heavy and safe for a little car. Love the Corolla door sills (extra).

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage, only getting 32MPG in the Eco model. Improve the mud guards, they're a sight.

reliable with style!
By davestr1

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my '14 corolla s plus for 7 months. I haven't had one issue with it. It gets great gas mileage. Probably my favorite feature is the led headlights. They are amazing! Your night vision can't be beat by any of the competition right now. It's really impressive how well they work. there's plenty of room in the back seat for passengers, the front seats are comfortable as well. Nice dash display. the cvt is fine. It's different than what you'd be used to at first but it tries to act like a regular automatic with shift points. Not a race car, but a gas sipping sedan with style. I might end up buying it after the lease is up. Leds are a huge plus!

Favorite Features

Led headlights. Wheels, dash/cluster design & blue color of lights in dash & cluster. Seats, auto up & down window. Touch screen back up camera. Heated mirrors

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation from outside. High end audio. A bit more torque!

I think I have a lemon :(
By smilechick

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

*Starting the car: You have to have the clutch pushed very hard, all the way to the ground and make sure to hold the button in long enough. My fianceís car is a 6 speed with a push start and Iíve never had any trouble with his car. I have driven a stick shift for over 15 years. This clutch is very picky and after a lot of time spent stranded, sitting in my car, I have finally realized that I need to ride the clutch, unfortunately. That's the only way I can get it to get up and go without stalling. I'm always super nervous while driving it for this reason and feel unsafe. My fiancť also refuses to drive my car for this reason. *Where is the sound proofing?? When driving in the rain/snow...

Favorite Features

..this car is very loud. *Windshield wipers "click" when on low, I was told is normal, it sounds like a blinker and is annoying. * It won't read my flash drive, it acts like nothing is inserted. The few times it did read it, it kept freezing up and wasn't worth my trouble. I have tried 3 other flash drives, they work just fine everywhere else, besides this car, so this feature canít be used. *Radio - I have had many issues with it and they had to replace my radio twice. It turns itself off, wonít work, sound or screen go out, etc. *blue tooth cuts out/people canít hear me when it does work, even if Iím almost shouting. *The navigation, it's a joke to say the very least. I inquired about

Suggested Improvements

an update and they said I had the newest version. It cannot seem to detect where I am and the few times I used it, it took us really far out of our way and took us down some strange side roads that weren't near our destination. *Clock in navigation system - it doesn't update with the satellite and the service man showed me how to change it when daylight savings time happens. *Auto turn off headlight feature - I saw some reviews that said it didn't have this, but there is a setting, if you search hard enough, where the lights will automatically turn off after you walk away from your car. It works, I have tested it, but why on Earth would they still make it beep at you to turn ur lights off?

First Toyota
By Robert T. Paige

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Toyota. The decision was based on a rental car - we liked it so well that we bought the Corolla instead of the Ford Fusion we had been considering. The interior seems much more of an upgrade from the previously owned Mercury Sable, also more room , especially legroom. Wife and daughter rate the cloth seating much more comfortable than the leather in the Sable. The instrument panel is the thing which I look at most of the time (LOL)and that is one of the features I like best. In town gas mileage has been consistent at 30-to-31 miles per gallon and on a trip Texas-to California, cruising 65 MPH from 39-to-41 MPG. Styling sort of grows on you.

Favorite Features

Interior styling, room and seating comfort. Instrument panel and dash design. Luggage space is adequate though specs show 3 cu ft less than the Sable. Fold down feature very good for large items storage. Gas mileage - Fill ups at the pump a favorite feature-a lot less gas between fill ups ! (LOL) Quiet in town 30-to-45 MPH and cruising the Interstates 65 MPH. Exterior styling is a bit of a change. Takes a while to get used to it, but better than the completition. Although classed as a compact, the Corolla seems to be an upgrade compared to the previous mid-size Mercury Sable in all respects.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension seemed a bit firm at first, but seems to have smoothed out after break-in-period. Can't think of any improvements needed so far.

corolla LE 2014 CVT
By vovcha

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

It is my first car with CVT automatic trans. and It took me time to get used to it...it is very slow on a startup and on response to acceleration. This model is a basic car which will get you from point A to point B without a problem. Comfortable to drive, we love interior, including a standard blue-tooth and cruise control. I installed remote starter which saves a lot of hustle in a cold winter day. On the 2014 and up models, you have to live a key with the module in a dash board, this is a big drawback. The engine is underpowered and that's the reason for O.K. fuel consumption, not an excellent.

Favorite Features

Head lights, interior, comfortable to drive. good service.

Suggested Improvements

CVT transmission has to have more integrals that with a more powerful engine will deliver good fuel efficiency