2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

2014 Corolla S Plus - New Transmission at 30k Miles
By ash02050

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I drive about 30k mi a year. Was buying my first new car & needed a safe & reliable vehicle for my 70 mile commute plus driving obscene distances working as a Child Protective Services Worker. I got the S Plus with nav, smart key & sunroof. Car started rattling 1 month in. Couldn't replicate noise so no fix. Nav screen starts zooming out on its own...something got stuck between screen & frame. Bent a rim. Tire & Rim Warranty won't replace. Brought car in for 30k mile service & because I was hearing a whining noise...Toyota replaces entire transmission! Extremely alarming. The car drives fine. Does what I need it to do and more. Currently at 34k miles & plan to drive it into the ground.

Sunroof & smart key. The navigation and audio system in general are meh at best. All of the safety features are reassuring. I love the white exterior with tinted windows and the black rims look. The headlights are amazingly bright. Overall the car has been a great car. I like being able to know I can get in my car and go anywhere with no worries. I haven't driven it in snow yet (live in Florida but from Vermont) but I plan on it. I have driven it through some pretty deep flood water and torrential downpours with no issues. I would highly recommend this vehicle. I think it would definitely be a better deal certified used versus brand new. As I definitely overpaid... Ya live and ya learn.

Overall build quality. I've heard of there being "kinks" to work out with the first model year after a re-design...I hope I didn't buy a defective car. I asked my Toyota dealer how many 2014 Corolla's they have replaced the transmission on and my service advisor replied "I haven't seen a transmission replaced on any Corolla in a long time". So I'm not sure if I had a fluke CVT or if it was my use of the paddle shifters navigating my congested commute.

Cylinder Head Replaced at 13,500, Probable Factory Milling Issue
By mycylinderhead

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE Eco Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Bought 2014 LE Eco Plus in September of 2013. At 13,300 miles, Code registered for fuel/air imbalance. Service Bulletin said cylinder head and 4 valves to be replaced under warranty. Major repair for a young car. Very disappointed. Toyota will not at this point extend drive train warranty for free because they have "fixed" it. Other than that, car runs smoothly, nice and heavy for a little car. The gray seat fabric stains very easily, even a wet gym bag or wet work bag if left on the seat too long leave pronounced stain, even with the Stain Guard extra they sell you at time of purchase. This is a hassle, worrying about everything that touches the seats. Average 32MPG.

Very comfortable. Feels heavy and safe for a little car. Love the Corolla door sills (extra).

Improve gas mileage, only getting 32MPG in the Eco model. Improve the mud guards, they're a sight.

reliable with style!
By davestr1

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my '14 corolla s plus for 7 months. I haven't had one issue with it. It gets great gas mileage. Probably my favorite feature is the led headlights. They are amazing! Your night vision can't be beat by any of the competition right now. It's really impressive how well they work. there's plenty of room in the back seat for passengers, the front seats are comfortable as well. Nice dash display. the cvt is fine. It's different than what you'd be used to at first but it tries to act like a regular automatic with shift points. Not a race car, but a gas sipping sedan with style. I might end up buying it after the lease is up. Leds are a huge plus!

Led headlights. Wheels, dash/cluster design & blue color of lights in dash & cluster. Seats, auto up & down window. Touch screen back up camera. Heated mirrors

More sound insulation from outside. High end audio. A bit more torque!

I think I have a lemon :(
By smilechick

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan S Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

*Starting the car: You have to have the clutch pushed very hard, all the way to the ground and make sure to hold the button in long enough. My fianceís car is a 6 speed with a push start and Iíve never had any trouble with his car. I have driven a stick shift for over 15 years. This clutch is very picky and after a lot of time spent stranded, sitting in my car, I have finally realized that I need to ride the clutch, unfortunately. That's the only way I can get it to get up and go without stalling. I'm always super nervous while driving it for this reason and feel unsafe. My fiancť also refuses to drive my car for this reason. *Where is the sound proofing?? When driving in the rain/snow...

..this car is very loud. *Windshield wipers "click" when on low, I was told is normal, it sounds like a blinker and is annoying. * It won't read my flash drive, it acts like nothing is inserted. The few times it did read it, it kept freezing up and wasn't worth my trouble. I have tried 3 other flash drives, they work just fine everywhere else, besides this car, so this feature canít be used. *Radio - I have had many issues with it and they had to replace my radio twice. It turns itself off, wonít work, sound or screen go out, etc. *blue tooth cuts out/people canít hear me when it does work, even if Iím almost shouting. *The navigation, it's a joke to say the very least. I inquired about

an update and they said I had the newest version. It cannot seem to detect where I am and the few times I used it, it took us really far out of our way and took us down some strange side roads that weren't near our destination. *Clock in navigation system - it doesn't update with the satellite and the service man showed me how to change it when daylight savings time happens. *Auto turn off headlight feature - I saw some reviews that said it didn't have this, but there is a setting, if you search hard enough, where the lights will automatically turn off after you walk away from your car. It works, I have tested it, but why on Earth would they still make it beep at you to turn ur lights off?

First Toyota
By Robert T. Paige

2014 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE Plus 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Toyota. The decision was based on a rental car - we liked it so well that we bought the Corolla instead of the Ford Fusion we had been considering. The interior seems much more of an upgrade from the previously owned Mercury Sable, also more room , especially legroom. Wife and daughter rate the cloth seating much more comfortable than the leather in the Sable. The instrument panel is the thing which I look at most of the time (LOL)and that is one of the features I like best. In town gas mileage has been consistent at 30-to-31 miles per gallon and on a trip Texas-to California, cruising 65 MPH from 39-to-41 MPG. Styling sort of grows on you.

Interior styling, room and seating comfort. Instrument panel and dash design. Luggage space is adequate though specs show 3 cu ft less than the Sable. Fold down feature very good for large items storage. Gas mileage - Fill ups at the pump a favorite feature-a lot less gas between fill ups ! (LOL) Quiet in town 30-to-45 MPH and cruising the Interstates 65 MPH. Exterior styling is a bit of a change. Takes a while to get used to it, but better than the completition. Although classed as a compact, the Corolla seems to be an upgrade compared to the previous mid-size Mercury Sable in all respects.

Suspension seemed a bit firm at first, but seems to have smoothed out after break-in-period. Can't think of any improvements needed so far.