Squishy ride and horrible brakes
By xpvs on
2012 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
Although my gut told me not to buy a Toyota especially after the sticky gas pedal/brake fail issue with them I went for the Corolla because it fit my budget. Last weekend I drive it to Ohio from DC (a one way trip of 450 miles). Things started to get bad as soon as I got outside of the city. The handling of the car is foamy at best. I believe in comfort but when it comes at the expense of not having confidence that the car will make the turn at highway speed, it is not pretty. And then there were the brakes. I decended a few hills and I smelt something burning. I pulled over to check but nothing obvious. A little later the brake pedal needed to be pressed very hard to slow down.
Favorite Features
Blue tooth connectivity, USB charging
Suggested Improvements
Please improve the handling. I have had Civics for the last 14 years and made DC-Ohio trips very frequently in 1996 model Civics without any issues and I was not expecting such a bad ride from a new car. The handling is way below par. I admit that I do have a lead foot but when you compete with Civics, at least be on par with them. The brakes and the brake system needs a complete overhaul. I would strongly suggest changing them fully before another mishap like the sticky gas pedal happens again. No wonder Toyota has lost its appeal completely with the younger generation and is now even losing it with the mature crowd. I am just sad that I cant return it. Just stuck with it.
By jbensen
on 06/19/12 13:55 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the input about the 2010 corolla; I was considering buying one but think I'll stick with the Civic instead.