2012 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: Corolla is still a leader

2012 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

Corolla is still a leader
By kenw7 on

2012 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The Corolla still beats the competition. Quality is superb; reliability is well documented. At 34 MPG on the road, figuring $4.25 per gallon, the loss of savings in gas compared to a 40 MPG car is $1,200 over 100,000 miles. The competition is charging thousands more than the Corolla; you will never really save money! The brakes work great, the ride is great; the performance with the automatic transmission is fully acceptable. My Ford and Chrysler cars failed me miserably. I will stay with Toyota. Join me and 100,000 miles from now you will be glad you did too. The "bells and whistles" the competition have will not be much comfort when their car breaks down. Toyota still rules.

I like the tight turning radius... great for use when I am in tight city traffic. I love the appearance of the car itself. It won't look dated when the flashy stuff becomes a detriment. Remember when cars had wings in the back? When they went out of style, you were stuck with something looking like a relic! The Corolla and Yaris are the closest cars in feel to my 1970 VW Beetle, which was a fun car to own and drive. The Yaris would probably be OK in the sport model, but the Corolla costs only a hair more, and is the superior vehicle. I love the room in the trunk, and the fold-down rear seats. I can put my bicycle in this thing if I want. I love the aerodynamic design.

The steering is wonderful for most folks. Since I want to re-live my 19 years of driving my VW Beetle, I would vote for just a bit quicker steering. I loved the small size of the Beetle, and would not mind if the car was just a trace smaller. Again, the present configuration is what the vast majority of folks would want. The car has crept up in size over the years, but that gives a quieter and smoother ride.