Beautiful Simplicity!
By jacobw001 on
2012 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
We have long been a Ford family however our last Fusion did not meet our expectations due to a lot of mechanical issues and poor fuel economy. After test drives of the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Mazda 6, the Corolla was by far my favorite and has been a great car, both in performance and build quality. So far we've averaged around 33 MPG in mostly city driving conditions which helps a lot with higher fuel prices! This car looks great both inside and out and is fun to drive as well. I look forward to giving this car to my son in about six years when he gets his license!
Favorite Features
Fuel Efficiency Comfortable Seats Spacious Cabin Smooth Quiet Ride
Suggested Improvements
None
By mcdawgg
on 07/12/12 09:52 AM (PDT)

You're welcome. Also note that Consumer Report's real world MPG tests show that the 2012 Corolla is the best in class, beat by a hybrid and a diesel.

By mcdawgg
on 06/15/12 09:53 AM (PDT)

madison77, give it a few thousand miles to improve mpg a little, but it all comes down to various things, such as: temperature - the lower the temps, the worse the mpg. Driving conditions - more stop and go, the lower the mpg. If you have a lot of short trips under 5 miles, then mpg will suffer. From what I see, people driving any car seem to complain most that they are not getting the EPA MPG on the sticker, but that's because they are not driving it like the EPA tests it. It is HIGHLY unusual that there is something wrong with the car to lower the mpg. I've seen anywhere from 38mpg average down to 25 mpg average for a tank, but it all depends on the driving situations. The 25mpg was in the winter, lots of short trips, no highway, etc. The 38.9 mpg was a steady 55 mph with few traffic lights, and few slow-downs, light winds. MPG calculation - take total miles, divide by gallons put in. Use the same pump, and don't top off. Yes, you can use the mpg computer, but doing it the "old fashioned" way is best.

By madison77
on 05/23/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

I have a 2012 Corolla S and I am averaging 28.3 and I would like to know if it can be improved and how. I have 690 miles on mine. Will the MPG get better when it gets more miles or will I always average 28.3 miles? I am a very careful driver. I don't speed and I am always light on the accelerator.

By madison77
on 06/17/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

Thank you mcdawgg, your comment really helps. I appreciate it. I do more city driving than freeway so I can see that the MPG will drop. Also its summer so I am using the AC more which also might lower the MPG. Otherwise I really love my new Corolla. These cars are really dependable. I am planning on keeping this car for many years to come. Have a wonderful day mcdawgg.

By mejazz
on 10/04/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

Ummm... I have to question tht "fun to drive" part - espacially when you compare it to a Mazda3! I bought a 2012 Mazda3 i Touring SkyActiv and have only 700 miles on it so far ang got 33mpg in mixed city/highway driving. But i don't drive it at 55; normally do 70-75. I had a 2008 Mazda3 and never needed any repair. Just changed my oild and that's all.