Worst Corolla ever. What was Toyota thinking.
By sajsan on
2011 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
Test drove 2011 corolla (manual); this would have been my 5th corolla in 20yrs. As a die hard Toyota fan, Toyota has disappointed me beyond belief regarding the steering. It is a major issue; it feels like flexible rubber; it does NOT tighten as expected in any power assisted steering and dangerous at high speeds. It will be more serious with highway winds. There is pronounced body roll. In short, it is NOT safe. I walked away from a great deal because 2007/8 model was superior in safety and handling. I will send back a feedback letter to the president of toyota; they have lost a loyal Corolla customer – 5 corollas in 20 years of drive. Sales person thought i was joking about the car.
Favorite Features
Interior is good. Space is well done for rear passengers. Engine noise is well balanced. Civic and elantra are more noisier.
Suggested Improvements
Steering needs to be seriously addressed. This is the only car in this segment which does not have a steering that tightens at higher speeds. Elantra, Civic even Yaris is better. USB should be standard. Clutch is too soft; suspension is a joke in S model. My 99 corolla which had replaced Munroe stock mounts has better hold on the car and stability.
By boogie5
on 11/07/11 02:34 AM (PST)

Just to add a comment about 5 corolla's I have a 1990 corolla I bought for a work car, New in 1989. after 367000 miles it's time to get a new one. I've put 2 sets of axles in it, other than that just routine maintenance

By vol245
on 04/14/12 06:32 AM (PDT)

I agree about the steering. I thought it was dangerous at freeway speeds when I first got the car. I was driving on the freeway during a breezy day and I was struggling to keep the car in my lane. I've driven my Honda Element in a similar situation and had no issues with it. I got a sidewall nail in the original tires and replaced them all with Michelins. That helped, but did not cure it. I've owned two other cars with electronic power steering - '05 Mazda RX8 and a '12 Kia Soul. No problems with them.