Tall people beware
By nfinityman on
2011 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
Like many other reviewers I spent quite a bit of time test driving the many competitors on the market today. I started my search by reading through the Consumers Digest car review edition that came out in February. Based on these results I concentrated on the Hyundai Elantra, the Ford Focus 2012 edition, and the Mazda 3 Touring. I ended up choosing the Toyota Corolla because it had all the features I was looking for at the right price. The interior was larger than the others with more space for backseat passengers and the actual fuel economy held up when compared to both the Elantra and Focus despite their 40 mpg claims. The ride is smooth and quiet, I just wish it had more power.
Favorite Features
I purchased the S Model with the sunroof option. I actually really like the styling and both the exterior and interior color scheme. Mine is dark metallic blue with black interior which goes very well together. Overall my favorite features are the smooth and quiet ride as well as the fuel economy. The fit and finish of the car is also very good.
Suggested Improvements
I recommend that Toyota get rid of the gigantic dead pedal for the left foot and add a little more room for driver leg room. If you are close to 6ft tall you absolutely need to remove the dead pedal. It is a huge piece of cheap styrofoam that can be easily popped out. It adds about 3.5 inches of leg room and makes all the difference in the world when it comes to comfort.
By nfinityman
on 09/23/11 07:45 AM (PDT)

Toyota finally fixed the auto transmission behavior problems. This is a known bug but you'll never get the sales or service people to cop to the problem.

By nfinityman
on 08/04/11 10:38 AM (PDT)

After 3 more weeks of ownership I find that the 4 speed automatic transmission does not behave properly and have reported this to Toyota. Apparently this is a known issue and appears of several other blogs as an issue that Toyota has failed to address. I am not amused.

By nfinityman
on 09/07/11 10:19 AM (PDT)

Unless you don't mind your automatic transmission dropping in and out of gear when you are travelling between 42-65 mph don't buy this car. I'm into month two and I am totally dissatisfied with the behavior of the 4-spd auto transmission. Despite demonstrating that the transmission drops in and out of gear while driving on a flat straightaway at a constant speed I am told that this is "normal". I will be lodging a complaint with the NY State Attorney Generals office.